Seeking recomendation on flat drive belt replacement

Paul_Piorkowski

South Bend Goup:
The 1" flat leather drive belt is slipping and has stretched to the limit of the adjustment. Although I have used what looks like a tar based dressing it is clear there is slipping.

I am seeking recomendation on the best replacement. I am considering using the back side of a modern automotive serpentine belt.

Paul

Bill in OKC too

search ebay for custom flat belt south bend and you should find several.

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 02:39:42 PM CDT, Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io <paul_piorkowski@...> wrote:

South Bend Goup:
The 1" flat leather drive belt is slipping and has stretched to the limit of the adjustment. Although I have used what looks like a tar based dressing it is clear there is slipping.

I am seeking recomendation on the best replacement. I am considering using the back side of a modern automotive serpentine belt.

Paul

Andrei

You can still buy flat belts, brand spanking new. 

Our high performance 3 ply belting will out last leather lathe flat belts by many years. Each belt comes complete with clipper lacing installed and a coated pin.
www.squirreldaddy.com

also look on amazon and ebay. gobs of them out there. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io <Paul_Piorkowski@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 1:59 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Seeking recomendation on flat drive belt replacement

South Bend Goup:

Paul

E A

I used this chart to figure out what serpentine belt to use.
Using the Industry Number, you can go to RockAuto and order cheaper...

A Dayco 5050530 worked out perfect for my setup.

Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Andrei <calciu1@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Seeking recomendation on flat drive belt replacement

Our high performance 3 ply belting will out last leather lathe flat belts by many years. Each belt comes complete with clipper lacing installed and a coated pin.
www.squirreldaddy.com

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io <Paul_Piorkowski@...>

South Bend Goup:

Paul

m. allan noah

Try shortening the belt you have?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 3:59 PM E A <b-arch@...> wrote:

Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Andrei <calciu1@...>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Seeking recomendation on flat drive belt replacement

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io <Paul_Piorkowski=protonmail.com@groups.io>

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

E A

And you don't run the serpentine belt "inside out".
Very smooth and quiet.
Of course you have to take your lathe apart to install...
Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of m. allan noah <kitno455@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 4:02 PM

Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io <Paul_Piorkowski=protonmail.com@groups.io>

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Todd

How exactly do you run a serpentine belt on a 13" or bigger without cutting it ? Asking for a friend 🤣
(The answer is.... you can't unless you slot the headstock casting)

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of E A <b-arch@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 4:12:41 PM

Very smooth and quiet.
Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of m. allan noah <kitno455@...>

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

david_g4000

Really, is anybody slotting their casting? I cannot imagine doing that.

I got a rubber and canvas belt from Al Bino and couldn't be happier with it. No stretch. Quiet. Good traction.

On 10/28/2021 4:44 PM, Todd wrote:

How exactly do you run a serpentine belt on a 13" or bigger without cutting it ? Asking for a friend 🤣

Get Outlook for Android

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of E A <b-arch@...>

Very smooth and quiet.
Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

Todd

It was meant as a joke.  The O.P. didn't mention which model lathe is needing a belt and you can't  use a serpentine on the larger ones without cutting them. I'm not knowlegable on the 11" and smaller but i know the 13" and up need a cut belt.

Get Outlook for Android

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of david_g4000 via groups.io <dmbanwarth@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 4:47:56 PM

I got a rubber and canvas belt from Al Bino and couldn't be happier with it. No stretch. Quiet. Good traction.

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.
Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

comstock_friend

Any of the South Bend UMD's will need a cut belt, that includes the 9 inchers...

Ondrej Krejci <okrejci@...>

Howdy,

McMaster Carr sells belts and splices.  To use a continuous belt, no slotting is needed, that's silly, but the spindle has to be taken out of its bearings, like with v belt drives.

Enjoy,

OK
On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 04:48:28 PM EDT, david_g4000 via groups.io <dmbanwarth@...> wrote:

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.
Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

david_g4000

Ohhhhh, thanks Todd. Mine is a 13" as well and I agree.

On 10/28/2021 4:51 PM, Todd wrote:

It was meant as a joke.  The O.P. didn't mention which model lathe is needing a belt and you can't  use a serpentine on the larger ones without cutting them. I'm not knowlegable on the 11" and smaller but i know the 13" and up need a cut belt.

Get Outlook for Android

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of david_g4000 via groups.io <dmbanwarth@...>

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.
Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

Paul_Piorkowski

Eric:
Thank you for the feedback. I have never taken the spindle (the main shaft) out before.

However the electric motor conversation looks simple to take apart. I think original design could of ran off of an overhead line shaft.

I always thought that the staples used to join the lether belt could impact the surface finish as it would be imposing a torsion into the spindle revolution.

Paul

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Oct 28, 2021, 2:59 PM, E A < b-arch@...> wrote:

Erik A

www.squirreldaddy.com

South Bend Goup:

Paul

John Dammeyer

The Heavy 10L also requires the belt to be split.

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Todd
Sent: October-28-21 1:52 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io

Get Outlook for Android

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.

Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

chippuller

Hey Folks,
    This thread caught my attention... I'm really curious about why some models require you to "split" the replacement belt. While I understand it might require an extensive disassembly (and probably not worth the effort!), they did install a continuous belt at the factory!?!? Am I missing something?
    Kinda rminds me of the joke about the machinist apprentice who was told to make a gear. His response was "Make a gear !?!? I thought you had to buy a gear!!!" Emoji

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 04:12:47 PM CDT, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of Todd

Get Outlook for Android

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.

Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

John Dammeyer

The frame of the Heavy 10L is cast so the front guard/cover and the lower brace are all one piece.  Essential it's a hole for the front 1/2 of the belt to pass through up to the pulley.  The belt must be cut or the front of the casting has to be sliced to make an opening to bring a continuous belt through.

I don't think it was important in 1942 when mine was made because likely there was no such thing as a wide flat belt at a cost that matched a leather one with the ends glued together.

John

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of chippuller
Sent: October-28-21 3:17 PM

Hey Folks,

This thread caught my attention... I'm really curious about why some models require you to "split" the replacement belt. While I understand it might require an extensive disassembly (and probably not worth the effort!), they did install a continuous belt at the factory!?!? Am I missing something?

Kinda rminds me of the joke about the machinist apprentice who was told to make a gear. His response was "Make a gear !?!? I thought you had to buy a gear!!!" Image removed by sender. Emoji

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 04:12:47 PM CDT, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

John

Get Outlook for Android

Get Outlook for Android

Very smooth and quiet.

Erik A

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

--

Dennis LaMonica

Check on ebay store for ILion Industrial Services.  Steve? has good stuff for SB lathes including custom belts. He has a ebay store there. 
--
Dennis
western NY, USA

wlw19958

Hi There,

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 03:17 PM, chippuller wrote:
they did install a continuous belt at the factory!?!?
The factory did use a one piece belting but it was first installed
around the pulleys and then the ends were glued together using
a special cement (for composite belts).  Contact cement works
well for leather belts.  The ends need to be skived to provide
sufficient overlap for a good glue joint. 

Using "Clipper" splicing is a mechanical jointing system that doesn't 
require skiving or glue. the ends are crimped on the ends of the belt
and the two ends are joined using a pin.  Its advantage is one can
remove the belt (for whatever reason) and place it back in service
without cutting the belt.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

mike allen

belts with staples have been turning out great parts fr more years then any of us here . Look in your yellow pages for a local belt company & take your belt to them & they can make you one for @ 10-20 bucks .  Or you could go to Tandy Leather & buy a belt blank  & make your own . just google scarf joint .

animal

On 10/28/2021 1:59 PM, Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io wrote:

Eric:
Thank you for the feedback. I have never taken the spindle (the main shaft) out before.

However the electric motor conversation looks simple to take apart. I think original design could of ran off of an overhead line shaft.

I always thought that the staples used to join the lether belt could impact the surface finish as it would be imposing a torsion into the spindle revolution.

Paul

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul

Bill in OKC too

You can also lace a joint. Here's a description that was linked from a PM thread: https://www.farmcollector.com/Looking-Back/How-To-Lace-A-Flat-Belt

And here's the thread itself, as there is some good discussion there: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/hand-lacing-flat-drive-belt-251861/

I've seen belts that were laced, sewn, and alligator clipped, and alligator clipped some belts for things that weren't machine tools, though my big drill press came with a clipped leather belt that is a bit stretched. Any of those methods can be used on machine tools, and were at some time in the past. If you're making stuff to .0001" on a regular basis, you might have a problem with the alligator clipped belts, or maybe not. You'd have to try it and see.

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 07:47:17 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

belts with staples have been turning out great parts fr more years then any of us here . Look in your yellow pages for a local belt company & take your belt to them & they can make you one for @ 10-20 bucks .  Or you could go to Tandy Leather & buy a belt blank  & make your own . just google scarf joint .

animal

On 10/28/2021 1:59 PM, Paul_Piorkowski via groups.io wrote:
Eric:

Paul

Erik A

South Bend Goup:

Paul