SB 9" 3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Sam

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

sblatheman

I have some N.O.S. 3C collet sleeves for the 9”…$75 plus shipping
Email me if you are interested.
Ted
Latheman2@...

On Oct 14, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Glen Ruch

On 10/14/21 10:57, sblatheman via groups.io wrote:
I have some N.O.S. 3C collet sleeves for the 9”…$75 plus shipping
Email me if you are interested.
Ted

On Oct 14, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

mike allen

        these folks have one

        http://www.mymachineshop.net/product_p/10146.htm

        You will also need one of these if you don't have one to remove the adapter , though I can't say for sure this protector will work on a SB .

        http://www.mymachineshop.net/product_p/10089.htm

        animal

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Bill in OKC too

Can buy one of these, and make your own thread protector, if you like: https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/thread-size~1-1-2-8/

Some minor modification to make it just what you want for popping the collet sleeve back out.

I've mentioned that I'm a cheap bastrich, right? You could make your own, if you can cut 1-1/2-8 internal threads yourself, too. I can't yet, Couple more lessons in class to learn that. Anyone care to guess what I'm going to be making when I'm supposed to be working on the class project? Also need one for my SB Heavy 10L, with the 2-1/4-8tpi spindle nose. I have already made stub spindles for both machines so I don't have to go to the machine to test fit stuff I make for it.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

david pennington

I sure enjoy your reports of progress, both with your shop/machines, and with your training.

David W. Pennington
Denver, Colorado
720-442-3744

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Sam

The spindle nose is an Acme thread.  The McMaster link shows 60 degreee V threads.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Bill in OKC too

I enjoy running my mouth/keyboard, and it makes me happy when folks like that. I hope I'm helping other folks realize that if I can do it, they can too. If they want to. This past week I have been playing with the Smithy 3-in-1 machine. It is NOT a South Bend. I looked into buying one before I bought my first lathe, the HF 7x10, and decided that having to change setups all the time would be a waste of what little shop time I was getting. And since the problems I had with the 7x10 were me, not the machine, things wouldn't have been any better. Now that I have a clue, and two other lathes running, the Atlas & HF, I'm making a big push to get all my machines running. Wife bought me the 10L for Christmas of 2018. It's been sitting here in pieces since I brought it home, but it needs the most work of any of my machines, so it's last in line.

Today, I need to fix the parts washer so I can clean the Smithy spindle parts. found the notchy bearing, and am hoping that a good cleaning & removeal of 24yo dried grease and replacement with good grease will save it. If not, I'll buy a new one. One step at a time. Once all the other machines are fixed, and ready to run, I start on the 10L. it's gonna need more than a bit of work, as it spent at least 5 years in a leaky barn, among other things.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Bill in OKC too

I can't speak to your lathe, but neither of mine have ACME threads on the spindle nose. They are 60 degree V threads. I've seen people use Atlas accessories on a South Bend, and vice versa on the 1-1/2"-8TPI threads, too. Might want to look again real close. With a thread gauge in hand. Or someone may have ordered it with an ACME thread, or modified a spindle. Stranger things have happened.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

mike allen

        I have two 9" lathes different brands . Both have 1 1/2 x 8 spindles . Not all of my chucks will fit both lathes . Just tossing this out there .

        animal

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Jim_B

I have seen many SB lathes. None had Acme threads on the spindle.

Jim B,

--
Jim B

wmrmeyers@gmail.com

There are lathes with 1-3/8-8 spindles, and 1-7/8-8 spindles, too. Both would look close, but no cigar. I recent bought a (we thought) 1-1/2-8 threaded Jacobs chuck. Turns out to be 1-3/8", and no, it won't fit my 1-1/2-8 spindle. I tried! I had uses for it. Someday I'll make adapters for the various lathes here, but not this week.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

Jim_B

The Catalog #405 or Type 5 has a 1-3/8-8 spindle. That’s an early Workshop Lathe.
There are people who would give an arm for that chuck.

Jim B,

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

sblatheman

I believe the South Bend 1 3/8 threaded spindle was 10 pitch.
 1 3/8-10

Ted

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

Bill in OKC too

Feel free to point them at me. I'd prefer to get the right one for my Atlas. I'd be willing to trade, even.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

Bill in OKC too

Guess I'm going to have to check mine more carefully, too.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

Jim_B

Yes, Ted. My Bad.

Jim B,

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

Sam

Yes, you're right V thread.

I'm in Canada though, McMaster Carr won't sell outside USA.
They would have to paperwork everything to prove to the gummnt  they are not selling nuclear reactors in kit form.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 7:30 PM Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:
Yes, Ted. My Bad.

Jim B,

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

Bill in OKC too

You guys have to have someplace up there you can buy such things from, but you could also make your own if you can do internal threading. That is a skill I don't have yet, myself, but I'm supposed to be learning in here in the next few weeks.

Grainger has them in plain steel for $12.35. maybe they'll ship. Or if you're desperate, I could pick one up and send it to you. Though I think making your own is the best way.

On 10/14/2021 5:40 AM, Sam wrote:

SB 9"  3C Collet Nosepiece Insert Source ?

Who sells the headstock spindle nosepiece for 3 C  collets ?

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

engmaxx

I have an account with McMaster Carr that will send to my door here in Newmarket, Ontario (just north of Toronto).  I am one of the lucky few that had my account set up before they changed their rule for Canada.  That said, not sure where you are in Canada but if you need something from McMaster, let me know.

Michael