Old South Bend lathe - Help with ID?

Tom Faust

Need help with ID. I'm thinking early 9", but could it be a "Junior". Sorry for bad pictures, a little crowded in there.

m. allan noah

Looks like a regular side oiler 9C, made for several decades. Get the serial number off the top side of the bed, right end.

allan

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Roger Bickers

Juniors have a more "boxy" apron..this looks like a C as it appears to only have a halfnut lever at the right side of the apron face. Google south bend A, B, and C separately to see the distinctions.

Be sure to look for the set of change gears as it has no gearbox. Should be like 13 of them.

Look for a steady rest and a follow rest, as well as a 3&4 jaw chucks, a face plate, a dog plate and dogs. May even find a milling attachment.

If you don't know what the stuff is, Google it.

Roger.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 7:56 AM, m. allan noah
<kitno455@...> wrote:
Looks like a regular side oiler 9C, made for several decades. Get the serial number off the top side of the bed, right end.

allan

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Tom Faust via groups.io <TWFAUST=AOL.com@groups.io> wrote:

Need help with ID. I'm thinking early 9", but could it be a "Junior". Sorry for bad pictures, a little crowded in there.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Steve Wells

This is a Workshop Catalog number 477, 6-speed Model B, made between late 1939 and late 1945.

It has a keyed lead screw with an A-B apron, old style bed feet, bed mount switch with the wiring hole in the

left bed foot. Post the serial number for us for a more accurate ship date.

Steve

Need help with ID. I'm thinking early 9", but could it be a "Junior". Sorry for bad pictures, a little crowded in there.

Roger Bickers

Damn Steve,  how'd you see those knobs for the feeds?  Must not be on a phone like I am. Lol
Roger