SB9c compound Removal

G K

Hey Guys,

Looking for a few tricks.

Trying to remove the compound off my SB9c.  It has been off previously, but something is holding it up.  I took the two set crews out, and was able to remove one of the pins with a magnet, but cannot for the life of me get the other pin out.  The compound is loose, and tightens, so I do not believe the pin is locked in.  I tried a magnet, I tried hot glue on a bolt, I tried hot glue on a wood dowel, bit no luck.  I sprayed carb cleaner in there (not a good idea as it took off the paint), I also tried WD-40.

Please share any tricks you have to get the pin out.

Thanks,

Greg

Bill in OKC too

Heat gun on the part with the hole in it, and possibly ice the pin. Or heat and cool it, and see if cycling back and forth loosens it up.

You've already messed up the paint, but I still wouldn't use a torch on it.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 01:31:28 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Hey Guys,

Looking for a few tricks.

Trying to remove the compound off my SB9c.  It has been off previously, but something is holding it up.  I took the two set crews out, and was able to remove one of the pins with a magnet, but cannot for the life of me get the other pin out.  The compound is loose, and tightens, so I do not believe the pin is locked in.  I tried a magnet, I tried hot glue on a bolt, I tried hot glue on a wood dowel, bit no luck.  I sprayed carb cleaner in there (not a good idea as it took off the paint), I also tried WD-40.

Please share any tricks you have to get the pin out.

Thanks,

Greg

G K

Where're good.  Did not use heat as I was concerned about more paint damage.

Went with the acetone, shake/pull/turn method.  After a couple hours on and off with some acetone and tapping with a brass rod, she just popped free.  Had to push out the pin.  Looks like it was in upside down.  Maybe that wedged it in somehow.  Ill be more careful reinstalling it in the correct orientation.

Thanks,

Greg

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 02:27:27 PM CDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

[...]

mike allen

        I would keep flooding it with a spray like WD or such & then keep attacking with a long thin strong magnet , those things can b a real bugger sometimes to get out

        animal

On 8/4/2021 12:27 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Nelson Collar

Greg
You are doing all the right things, the only thing I can think if is it has some how froze the pin in place. I would try to use a two wood wedges set at 180° apart with a small hammer tap the wood wedges and then use a piece of wood on the top of it. Continue that with a good squirt of WD-40, hope that will help.
Nelson Collar

On Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 01:31:28 PM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hey Guys,

Looking for a few tricks.

Trying to remove the compound off my SB9c.  It has been off previously, but something is holding it up.  I took the two set crews out, and was able to remove one of the pins with a magnet, but cannot for the life of me get the other pin out.  The compound is loose, and tightens, so I do not believe the pin is locked in.  I tried a magnet, I tried hot glue on a bolt, I tried hot glue on a wood dowel, bit no luck.  I sprayed carb cleaner in there (not a good idea as it took off the paint), I also tried WD-40.

Please share any tricks you have to get the pin out.

Thanks,

Greg

Thomas Harrold

Perhaps it was mentioned already, but you may have better luck with a penetrant, rather than WD40.
(WD40 brands does make a penetrant). They are better at dissolving dry oil/grease/rust than a generic solvent like WD40.

-Tom