5C collet closer

Ruth Busch

I purchased a 1958 South Bend 10L that came with a set of 5C collets.  The lathe has a collet closer lever that mounts on the left of the headstock.

How should I be using the collet closer?  I noticed sometimes when I adjust the closer knob and pull the lever to tighten the collet, it will sort of snap and the stock seem firmly gripped.  Other times I cannot find the snap and grip point when I adjust the knob and pull the lever; this causes me to question if the work is properly gripped.

What is going on?

Jim_B

Long story, so forgive me.

I had an early 405 9’ Workshop. it had a “Top Oiler” headstock, I Changed this out to a later side oiler. While I was doing thisI also used a 10K spindle.
(Yes the 9” Workshop and 10K have the same journal dimensions.)

The primary reason, at the time, was that the 10K spindle has a slightly larger bore. 55/64 vs 49/64, or 0.860 vs 0.766. This is enough to add a lot of versatility.

IN ADDITION the 10K spindle will accept a SB proprietary 6K collet. It does this without any adapter. These allow one to hold 5/8 stock through the headstock as opposed to the upper limit of 1/2 THROUGH THE HEADSTOCK with the 3C.

6K collets are expensive and rare, I took me about 8 years to collect a complete set. I can go from 1/16 to 5/8 in steps of 1/64.

I highlighted the 1/2 THROUGH THE COLLET because there are some 3C collets larger than 1/2” which, have an internal step bore, and allow you to insert material to a depth of about 1”.
I had them in steps of 1/64 to 9/16” at one time. I sold my 405 some years ago, along with the larger than 1/2 collets.

One thing which has not been mentioned. Is that the 3C/5C/6K collets are available in in botjh square and Hex. Not so with the ER’s.

I use 5C on my 10L and I do have some hex and square collets. I find them quite useful. I do have and ER-40 setup, but I mostly use that for odd size work, since my 5C’s are incremented in 1/32” steps.

I do miss having the 1/64 steps of the 6K’s but while I still have the collet set, I don't have a Lathe to take them.

One other note. The ER’s with their adapter stick out beyond the spindle 1.5 to 2”. I don't care for that.

--
Jim B

Ruth Busch

Any idea what my problem is?

John

[...]

Roger Bickers

Don't turn the knob so much between locking up loosely and the lever moving only slightly.  You have to find the sweet spot.
If you still struggle, then that knob on the end of the tube opposite the collet itself is threaded and has a locking set screw in it that will take an Allen wrench.. however..it has a sweet spot that works with the levers range of motion also.
Good luck and try the first way I mention first.
Roger That

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM, Ruth Busch
<jbusch@...> wrote:
Any idea what my problem is?

John

[...]

Payson

Hi Ruth,
I don't usually get to respond early in the game here. Others answer the questions, and i lurk. By knob you must mean the knurled ring, at the end of the closer, with a setscrew just foreward? I apologize if this is too basic.
3 Things;
The spindle adapter has a key, and the slot in the collet locates there. Otherwise the collet can spin and not get tight.
The closer has a key to mate it with the back end of the spindle. Without that in place, the tube can loosen from the collet.
Collets have a range, and your stock may not be large enough to fill the collet.

I have a closer on my 10K cabinet model. It uses a pin, not a key, in the end of the spindle, to locate the unit, which never stays tight,

Again, I apologize if this is obvious to you.

Payson.