From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Joaquin Pendleton via groups.io <joaquinpendleton@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2021 4:40:02 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] collets:

Hello fellow SB machinists:
  I have about 20 3c collets, but want a full set.  I noticed that there is a set of 72 5c collets  at https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/72-pc-precision-inch-5-c-collet-set-164-to-1-18/  for $379, but you need an adapter face plate also, another $150.  Or should I go for the ER32 type?  Price is not an object, I just want a fuller set.  Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks guys.  Joaquin

ww_big_al

I have er40 on my 9A. Love it. I think I posted something here on making my adapter  back plate.

Al Knack

On Jun 20, 2021, at 5:45 PM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

How about ER40? Depends on what you want to do. 5c does hex and square collets. The ER series doesn't

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

  I have about 20 3c collets, but want a full set.  I noticed that there is a set of 72 5c collets  at https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/72-pc-precision-inch-5-c-collet-set-164-to-1-18/  for $379, but you need an adapter face plate also, another $150.  Or should I go for the ER32 type?  Price is not an object, I just want a fuller set.  Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks guys.  Joaquin

Joaquin Pendleton

how many sizes are there on the er40?  I like the 5c cause there are 72 sizes.  Do you also have a collet block for the er40?
Joaquin

Andrei

They go from 2 or 3mm up to 26, I rhink

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

how many sizes are there on the er40?  I like the 5c cause there are 72 sizes.  Do you also have a collet block for the er40?
Joaquin

ww_big_al

Here is a chart I made up

Al