Thrust bearing replacement

Steven Karvelis

Hello everyone, I have a 9"model A lathe which has a steak or chirp that is rythmic in nature. I believe that the thrust bearing is going bad and I need to replace it. Does anyone know what the call-out for this bearing is? I didn't want to take the spindle out just to find out. I had a problem in the past with this bearing and I should have taken care of the problem then. I just didn't have time.

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis

ww_big_al

I converted mine from the fiber washer to a thrust bearing. I purchased it from SteveWB on eBay. Steve provides instructions on how to do it. I consider Steve a very good seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152445466871?hash=item237e7538f7:g:kBEAAOSwawpXsQNz

Standard disclaimer stuff.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Karvelis
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 12:05 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Thrust bearing replacement

Hello everyone, I have a 9"model A lathe which has a steak or chirp that is rythmic in nature. I believe that the thrust bearing is going bad and I need to replace it. Does anyone know what the call-out for this bearing is? I didn't want to take the spindle out just to find out. I had a problem in the past with this bearing and I should have taken care of the problem then. I just didn't have time.

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis

amriensr

The Ebay kink that you provide is for a "Take Up Bearing" not the actual thrust bearing.

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 7:54:56 AM EDT, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

I converted mine from the fiber washer to a thrust bearing. I purchased it from SteveWB on eBay. Steve provides instructions on how to do it. I consider Steve a very good seller.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Karvelis

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis

ww_big_al

OK. My bad. I purchased mine years ago. What thrust bearing are you referring to? This was for the spindle take up bearing.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of amriensr via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Thrust bearing replacement

The Ebay kink that you provide is for a "Take Up Bearing" not the actual thrust bearing.

Al

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis

Jim_B

Between the front of rear journal and a step on the spindle is a ball bearing assembly. These are rare, and hard to find.  
Try TED at latheman2@...m
Now these very seldom get bad. and I would not expect them to chirp unless they are totally without oil. 
Try loosening up the aforementioned spindle take up washer and see if the chirp goes away. 

At one time Grizzly had them but I think they sold out. They may have replacements but expect the cost to be high.  As I remember, somebody did find a substitute, but that was years ago. Try searching the archives. 

On May 4, 2021, at 10:03 AM, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

OK. My bad. I purchased mine years ago. What thrust bearing are you referring to? This was for the spindle take up bearing. 
Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of amriensr via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 9:11 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Thrust bearing replacement

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Karvelis
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 12:05 AM
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Thrust bearing replacement

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis 

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Steven H

McMaster.com sells thrust bearings. Anything there that would work?

Steve Haskell

On May 4, 2021, at 11:14 AM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Between the front of rear journal and a step on the spindle is a ball bearing assembly. These are rare, and hard to find.  
Now these very seldom get bad. and I would not expect them to chirp unless they are totally without oil. 
Try loosening up the aforementioned spindle take up washer and see if the chirp goes away. 

At one time Grizzly had them but I think they sold out. They may have replacements but expect the cost to be high.  As I remember, somebody did find a substitute, but that was years ago. Try searching the archives. 

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of amriensr via groups.io

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Karvelis

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis 

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Richard Wanke

Halligan 142 has a video on utube about replacing the fiber washer at the end of the spindle with a thrust bearing if that is what you are talking about.

He used a bearing and hardened washers from Mcmaster. 

Part numbers...
Bearing 5909K3.  1 3/8" ID x 2 1/16" OD x 5/64 thick
Hardened washers 5909K53.  .032 thick (x 2)

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 11:37:57 AM EDT, Steven H via groups.io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

McMaster.com sells thrust bearings. Anything there that would work?

Steve Haskell

On May 4, 2021, at 11:14 AM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Al

Al

Thank you all,

Steve Karvelis 

Jim B.

--
Jim B