Making parts for a Telescoping Steady Rest - Part 4

wlw19958

Hi There,

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

mike allen

        WOW that looks fantastic !

        animal

On 5/3/2021 8:17 PM, wlw19958 wrote:
Hi There,

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Bob Kellermann

Looks great

On May 3, 2021, at 11:17 PM, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

made.

nzpropnut

Nice Job!1

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

ww_big_al

Looks GOOD. What knurl wheels you use? Course?

Al

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Dave Eggebraaten (AF5IA)

Nice work.

On 5/3/2021 10:17 PM, wlw19958 wrote:
Hi There,

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Steve Wells

Very nice work Webb, looks perfect.

Steve

I don't have too much to report but I wanted to show
the first knob I made.  The original is on the right next
to the copy I made.

I still have to drill the two holes.  One for the brass shoe (that goes in the hole
in the groove) and the other for the cross pin (that is at the top).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Looks GOOD. What knurl wheels you use? Course?

You could say I used "course" knurl wheels.  I purchased my knurls from
Accu-Trak.  I use the KP series knurls with 45° diagonal (to produce a
90° diamond).  These are available in several pitches (16, 20, 25 and 30
tpi) and I used the 20 tpi knurls as they are the closest to the originals.

I have one of those scissor type knurling tools I use (which work so much
better than the "bump" type made by Armstrong and Williams).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Grover McKenzie

would you be kind enough to give the machinist drawings for the telescoping steady rest and traveling steady. also is there any interest in getting someone to cast the steady rest and traveling steady for a 13 south bend lathe due to these being hard to find.

*Looks GOOD. What knurl wheels you use? Course?*

You could say I used "course" knurl wheels.  I purchased my knurls from
Accu-Trak.  I use the KP series knurls with 45° diagonal (to produce a
90° diamond).  These are available in several pitches (16, 20, 25 and 30
tpi) and I used the 20 tpi knurls as they are the closest to the originals.

I have one of those scissor type knurling tools I use (which work so much
better than the "bump" type made by Armstrong and Williams).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Andrei

Cattail Foundry in Lancaster, PA does all sorts of castings.

A few years back a friend did a batch and it was about $1 per pound for cast iron. Prices must have gone up in recent times, but it still would be affordable even at 3-4-5 times the cost. All you need is to provide a mold and negotiate a minimium quantity.

They are Amish, so stop thinking about emailing them or checking out their website. Call them on the phone or send them snail mail. Patience is a virtue.

Here is the google link that might help you, some.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cattail+foundry+lancaster+pa&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS901US901&oq=lancaster+foundry&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j46i175i199j0i22i30l7.6142j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

would you be kind enough to give the machinist drawings for the telescoping steady rest and traveling steady.  also is there any interest in getting someone to cast the steady rest and traveling steady for a 13 south bend lathe due to these being hard to find.

*Looks GOOD. What knurl wheels you use? Course?*

You could say I used "course" knurl wheels.  I purchased my knurls from
Accu-Trak.  I use the KP series knurls with 45° diagonal (to produce a
90° diamond).  These are available in several pitches (16, 20, 25 and 30
tpi) and I used the 20 tpi knurls as they are the closest to the originals.

I have one of those scissor type knurling tools I use (which work so much
better than the "bump" type made by Armstrong and Williams).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Nelson Collar

Grover
I have the complete build up for a 9A but to scale up to your lathe could be done. And there are no castings. I am uploading a pic of the finished Steady Rest.
Nelson

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 07:31:58 PM EDT, Grover McKenzie <gmcken@...> wrote:

would you be kind enough to give the machinist drawings for the telescoping steady rest and traveling steady.  also is there any interest in getting someone to cast the steady rest and traveling steady for a 13 south bend lathe due to these being hard to find.

*Looks GOOD. What knurl wheels you use? Course?*

You could say I used "course" knurl wheels.  I purchased my knurls from
Accu-Trak.  I use the KP series knurls with 45° diagonal (to produce a
90° diamond).  These are available in several pitches (16, 20, 25 and 30
tpi) and I used the 20 tpi knurls as they are the closest to the originals.

I have one of those scissor type knurling tools I use (which work so much
better than the "bump" type made by Armstrong and Williams).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Carl Bukowsky

Very nice work.  Is that your design as well?  It’s got a unique style and look.  I do have a design question; how do you open it?

Sent by my iPhone

On May 4, 2021, at 9:13 PM, Nelson Collar via groups.io <nel2lar@...> wrote:

[...]

<Steady rest guides comleted 2.jpg>
<Steady rest guides comleted.jpg>

wlw19958

Edited

Hi There,

I'm sorry but I do not have any drawings (machinist or otherwise), blue prints,
or anything related to the castings themselves.  All I have are some of the
drawings of the individual parts used in the telescoping steady rest that were
made by Paula a long time ago.  She used to hang out on the Practical Machinist
board on their South Bend forum.  I assume she still does.

I have used Cattail Foundry a few times to get castings made for difficult to
find parts.  They can make castings using an original part to ram up a mold
(flask).  There will be a slight amount of shrinkage but it is minimal (depending
on the size) so the copy will be slightly smaller than the original.  In my case,
the shrinkage was 1/16" to 1/8" depending on the size of the original that was
being copied.

I haven't used them in about 8 years but I'm glad to hear that they are still
around.  I always dealt with them through US postal mail.  Their turn around
is slow (depending where in their casting cycle you catch them) but they were
dependable.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb