SB9c rebuild

G K

Hey all,

Starting the rebuild on my new to me 1942 SB9c.

Two questions:

Anyone aware of a good, inclusive video series on the breakdown and reassembly of a SB9?  I’ve seen quite a few, but in most the detail and descriptions are a bit lacking.

Second, anyone have a hack to use in liew of a pin spammer to remove the compound handle?

Thanks!

Bill in OKC too

Get a straight-blade screwdriver and grind a notch in the center of the blade.

Also get a copy of this book: https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Renovating-South-Lathe-Model/dp/1482364883 

You can find them in a kit that includes all the felts for the lubrication system, as well. I got the version for my Heavy 10L. Outstanding resource!

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 09:17:27 AM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Two questions:

Anyone aware of a good, inclusive video series on the breakdown and reassembly of a SB9?  I’ve seen quite a few, but in most the detail and descriptions are a bit lacking.

Second, anyone have a hack to use in liew of a pin spammer to remove the compound handle?

Thanks!

E A

My guess is the universal answer you will get here is buy the book, felts and oil from Steve WB on Ebay.

I just am finishing mine (also 1942) and the book was invaluable.

RE the pin spanner, I made one from a piece of pipe, a broken drill bit and a 6" section of 3/16" x 3/4" bar stock. Was pretty simple to make.

Erik A
If you are contemplating doing a "Spring Cleaning" on that old South Bend sitting in your garage, this manual is what you will need to get the job done. ". As you will notice, this is not a fuzzy Xerox reprint of an older existing manual.
www.ebay.com

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 10:17 AM
To: southbendlathe@groups.io <southbendlathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] SB9c rebuild

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

E A

And if you can't weld, use the piece of pipe, drill bit the way I showed, and a pair of channel locks to grab the outside part of the pin and rotate.
Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of E A <b-arch@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 10:50 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] SB9c rebuild

My guess is the universal answer you will get here is buy the book, felts and oil from Steve WB on Ebay.

I just am finishing mine (also 1942) and the book was invaluable.

RE the pin spanner, I made one from a piece of pipe, a broken drill bit and a 6" section of 3/16" x 3/4" bar stock. Was pretty simple to make.

Erik A
If you are contemplating doing a "Spring Cleaning" on that old South Bend sitting in your garage, this manual is what you will need to get the job done. ". As you will notice, this is not a fuzzy Xerox reprint of an older existing manual.
www.ebay.com

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 10:17 AM
To: southbendlathe@groups.io <southbendlathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] SB9c rebuild

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim V

here's a complete kit on e-bay for $60 shipped  from Stevewb, which Erik & Bill both suggested.   Stevewb's been around longer than I've had a South Bend & is The Man when it comes to SB Lathes.....

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 09:17:27 AM CDT, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

G K

Thanks guys.  Already have the book and felts.  Not much info in thee on the compound and tailstock, but I will reference it as I go.    Thanks a lot to Erik for the spanner idea!  Can't weld, but I'll make something work.

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 10:01:32 AM CDT, Jim V via groups.io <flajimak220@...> wrote:

here's a complete kit on e-bay for $60 shipped  from Stevewb, which Erik & Bill both suggested.   Stevewb's been around longer than I've had a South Bend & is The Man when it comes to SB Lathes.....

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim_B

BUT be careful!!!! there is a round keeper locking the handle to the shaft. It will fall out and you will never find it again.

after removing the nut, a small puller is sum times helpfull.

On Apr 20, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

You can find them in a kit that includes all the felts for the lubrication system, as well. I got the version for my Heavy 10L. Outstanding resource!

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

mike allen

On 4/20/2021 7:17 AM, G K via groups.io wrote:

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

mike allen

Before you break or strip the screw for the clutch handle it's left hand thread

animal

On 4/20/2021 8:23 AM, G K via groups.io wrote:
Thanks guys.  Already have the book and felts.  Not much info in thee on the compound and tailstock, but I will reference it as I go.    Thanks a lot to Erik for the spanner idea!  Can't weld, but I'll make something work.

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 10:01:32 AM CDT, Jim V via groups.io <flajimak220@...> wrote:

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Bill in OKC too

Hmmm.... Don't recall that. I took the carriage apart over a year ago. I guess I'll find out whenever I get to put it back together. Thanks for the photos and info!

Bill in OKC

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 10:32:17 AM CDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

BUT be careful!!!! there is a round keeper locking the handle to the shaft. It will fall out and you will never find it again.

On Apr 20, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

G K

Yup, the small, micro-size pin was there.  Fortunately it did not fall out and on to the floor.  Nothing lost yet.  Thanks again to all for the help!  I am sure more questions will arise as I move on.

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 11:47:48 AM CDT, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

Hmmm.... Don't recall that. I took the carriage apart over a year ago. I guess I'll find out whenever I get to put it back together. Thanks for the photos and info!

Bill in OKC

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

comstock_friend

"Before you break or strip the screw for the clutch handle it's left hand thread"

Not an issue on a 9C, no clutch...

mike allen

my bad

animal

On 4/20/2021 12:03 PM, comstock_friend wrote:
"Before you break or strip the screw for the clutch handle it's left hand thread"

G K

No problem.  Better safe than sorry!

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 07:27:20 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

my bad

animal

On 4/20/2021 12:03 PM, comstock_friend wrote:

G K

Jim,

How wide of a screw driver did you use?  3/8 or 1/2?  I made a tool out of a washer for the compound, and it worked great, but on the saddle, no go, it just bent.

Greg

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Jim_B

I think it was 3/8. I had broken the blade prying on something. 

Jim B,

On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:33 PM, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Jim,

How wide of a screw driver did you use?  3/8 or 1/2?  I made a tool out of a washer for the compound, and it worked great, but on the saddle, no go, it just bent.

Greg

<Removing-split-nut-with-Sho.jpeg>

<A-small-puller-helps.jpeg>

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

E A

I bought the bits offered by Steve WB on ebay... and it turned out to be a good move.
The apron screws and cross feed nuts were stuck tight, and no screwdriver was going to budge them.
And was running the risk of stripping the slots.
Stuck the bits in a socket, and socket on an impact gun, with air pressure set super low, and shazam.
Erik A

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Jim_B <jim@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:16 PM

I think it was 3/8. I had broken the blade prying on something. 

Jim B,

On Apr 20, 2021, at 8:33 PM, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

Jim,

Greg

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

G K

Made the tool (notch screw driver), removed the screw, but no go on the handle.  She is stuck.  Looks like there is some red paint of something under the nut.  Maybe lock-tight????

Tried to support the handle and tap the shaft with a brass punch, but no go.  Not sure if I need to get a two leg puller (only have a three leg), or try heat.

Thoughts?

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Andrei

Use a heat gun or a torch to heat the part until the locktite releases. That is about 500F

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9:44:54 PM

Made the tool (notch screw driver), removed the screw, but no go on the handle.  She is stuck.  Looks like there is some red paint of something under the nut.  Maybe lock-tight????

Tried to support the handle and tap the shaft with a brass punch, but no go.  Not sure if I need to get a two leg puller (only have a three leg), or try heat.

Thoughts?

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B

G K

Handle is off!  Not sure the heat did anything.  Used a round 3" PVC pipe under a 2x2 square bearing splitter under the handle and my one and only three legged puller, and she came off.  All is well thus far.  Now onto the last piece, the collar behind the handle that is threaded into the saddle.

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 08:48:27 PM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

Use a heat gun or a torch to heat the part until the locktite releases. That is about 500F

Typos are courtesy of autocorrect.

Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9:44:54 PM

Thoughts?

Bill in OKC

Hey all,

Two questions:

Thanks!

Jim B.

--
Jim B