Anybody close?

William Nelson

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m43.l1120/7?euid=f81f2437c65a4b4eba8e3140b4bac368&bu=43110938583&ut=RU&segname=11021&crd=20210320044957&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F294073465926&sojTags=bu=bu,ut=ut,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub

Bill in OKC too

No, dammit! :( Not that I need another lathe right now. Not sure about the 5" part, but it looks like it's ready to run as is. I'm sure I could find a bit more space. Somehow.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:55:58 PM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m43.l1120/7?euid=f81f2437c65a4b4eba8e3140b4bac368&bu=43110938583&ut=RU&segname=11021&crd=20210320044957&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F294073465926&sojTags=bu=bu,ut=ut,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub

William Nelson

He has a even cheaper Craftsman. I can't seem to get a link copied for the Atlas group

Bill in OKC too

You're not helping. YOU"RE NOT HELPING!  I have here a Babbitt Atlas 10" headstock just because I couldn't stand to see someone throw it away. NO idea what I'm gonna do with it. My TH42 has a perfectly good Timken bearing headstock. Works just fine...

Though I've been looking for a 54" bed for years. Never find one when I have money, never have money when I find one. Story of my life. ;)

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 04:06:22 PM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

He has a even cheaper Craftsman. I can't seem to get a link copied for the Atlas group

William Nelson

Sorry Bill 😕 I would get the Southbend if I didn't live in Socal. It's so cheap even if it needs a lot of work it seems to be worth it. I'm not sure about the Craftsman seems it might be missing the tail stock and it seems to have lots of extra stuff at the headstock I'm not sure about.

Bill in OKC too

It's OK, Bill. I was sort of joking. I live in a machinery desert, unless you're looking for large machines. Lots of pipe work here for the oil fields, big valves, that sort of thing. Hobby sized lathes are few and far between. Not as bad as a few years ago, maybe but not like I could have gotten if I'd stayed home in Whittier. Of course, if I'd stayed there, I'd likely be living in a box in an alley, so not much room for a lathe there, either. ;) I did see an nice 10" SB with an 8' bed, and running, for $1000 a few years ago. Could not scare up the money if I'd sold my blonde daughters. Sort of considered it. They said go ahead, they'd be back in a week, so I didn't do it. It's my weakness, my problem, not your fault.

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 06:33:41 PM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

Sorry Bill 😕 I would get the Southbend if I didn't live in Socal. It's so cheap even if it needs a lot of work it seems to be worth it. I'm not sure about the Craftsman seems it might be missing the tail stock and it seems to have lots of extra stuff at the headstock I'm not sure about.

G K

I'm close.  Can you guys tell the model from the rough photos?  Can't figure much from the description, 5"?  I am actually interested in the four-jaw chuck.  Looking for one for my SB9.  Not sure if it would fit or not.  25 miles away.

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:55:58 PM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m43.l1120/7?euid=f81f2437c65a4b4eba8e3140b4bac368&bu=43110938583&ut=RU&segname=11021&crd=20210320044957&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F294073465926&sojTags=bu=bu,ut=ut,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub

mike allen

        It's a interesting lathe , maybe Ted or Steve can tell us more about it . Looks like it has a collet closer/chuck

        & a very interesting compound rest . There is a chuck in one of the pic's but you can buy a brand new chuck for under $ 200. with a backplate .

        animal

On 3/20/2021 8:30 PM, G K via groups.io wrote:
I'm close.  Can you guys tell the model from the rough photos?  Can't figure much from the description, 5"?  I am actually interested in the four-jaw chuck.  Looking for one for my SB9.  Not sure if it would fit or not.  25 miles away.

Steven H

I’m just guessing the the 5” is the center height so a 10” swing lathe. The Europeans like to use center height.

Steve Haskell

On Mar 20, 2021, at 11:30 PM, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

I'm close.  Can you guys tell the model from the rough photos?  Can't figure much from the description, 5"?  I am actually interested in the four-jaw chuck.  Looking for one for my SB9.  Not sure if it would fit or not.  25 miles away.

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:55:58 PM CDT, William Nelson <wnnelson@...> wrote:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m43.l1120/7?euid=f81f2437c65a4b4eba8e3140b4bac368&bu=43110938583&ut=RU&segname=11021&crd=20210320044957&osub=-1~1&ch=osgood&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F294073465926&sojTags=bu=bu,ut=ut,ch=ch,segname=segname,crd=crd,url=loc,osub=osub

Davis Johnson

I had that thought too.

The thread dial looks like a 9(a, b or c) or a 10k. So maybe a 10K?

Another possibility is they've listed the swing over the compound rather than the bed.

On 3/20/21 11:45 PM, Steven H via groups.io wrote:
I’m just guessing the the 5” is the center height so a 10” swing lathe. The Europeans like to use center height.

Steve Haskell

On Mar 20, 2021, at 11:30 PM, G K via groups.io <bug_hunter2000@...> wrote:

I'm close.  Can you guys tell the model from the rough photos?  Can't figure much from the description, 5"?  I am actually interested in the four-jaw chuck.  Looking for one for my SB9.  Not sure if it would fit or not.  25 miles away.

John Burt

I'm an hour and 10 minutes from there.
Am I gonna hafta find a place to put this thing?
Has anybody deciphered the photos? Not very clear to me.

John

William Nelson

Well that is not a 10k tail stock but that's all I know. Could be a 9 inch, if it was a heavy 10 the collet would be in the spindle not on the threads. Just ask the guy if you can come and inspect a lot of sellers allow that.

david pennington

Except for the collet adapter, it looks like the 9C in my shop. Well, not as clean, but otherwise like it.

My S/N is 167XXX, and a pic of it clearly shows the scraping on the ways. The scale and location of the S/N on the eBay machine is a match with my 9C.