Missing reamer

trackthatpot2000

I only had it delivered two days ago ...I need it for a special job and now I can’t find it anywhere..I have been searching for 4 hours and still no luck...I’ve checked everywhere all the places that usually I find lost items ..even that compartment at the back of the lathe bed under the tailstock (all I found there was some turnings and a spanner)...the only sure way that I will find it, is to order another one, and it will appear like magic. 

Roger Bickers

Did you have a kid or a woman in your shop? You know they can't keep their hands off anything and better than where it should go.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 10:21 AM, trackthatpot2000
<timmsken@...> wrote:
I only had it delivered two days ago ...I need it for a special job and now I can’t find it anywhere..I have been searching for 4 hours and still no luck...I’ve checked everywhere all the places that usually I find lost items ..even that compartment at the back of the lathe bed under the tailstock (all I found there was some turnings and a spanner)...the only sure way that I will find it, is to order another one, and it will appear like magic. 

jonwoellhaf

Did you look in the refrigerator? Shop apron? Clothes in the hamper? I rarely find something where I’ve looked – even multiple times. It’s usually where I haven’t looked because it wouldn’t be there. Good luck! Smile

Sent: March 20, 2021 08:21
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Missing reamer

Jack Dinan

I can’t tell you how many times this happens to me recently. 

I’ll put down thing #1 while I go to get thing #2 and then spend ten minutes searching for thing #1. 

Drives me nuts.

On Mar 20, 2021, at 12:36 PM, jonwoellhaf <jonwoellhaf@...> wrote:

Did you look in the refrigerator? Shop apron? Clothes in the hamper? I rarely find something where I’ve looked – even multiple times. It’s usually where I haven’t looked because it wouldn’t be there. Good luck! <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>

jonwoellhaf

Yes! However, I’ve found an antidote: I say to myself, “I’m putting the screwdriver on the step ladder.” That works. Problem is, I usually don’t remember to do that.

Sent: March 20, 2021 10:46
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Missing reamer

I’ll put down thing #1 while I go to get thing #2 and then spend ten minutes searching for thing #1.

Drives me nuts.

Jack Dinan

This is amazing. I do the same thing. Say it out loud to myself!

On Mar 20, 2021, at 12:50 PM, jonwoellhaf <jonwoellhaf@...> wrote:

Yes! However, I’ve found an antidote: I say to myself, “I’m putting the screwdriver on the step ladder.” That works. Problem is, I usually don’t remember to do that.

Drives me nuts.

Bill in OKC too

You're not by any means the only one. I try to visualize each step of what I was doing when this happens. Sometimes it even works. :) Starting to think I need to leave a small dish of whiskey out for the  Brownies. Though it's probably too late for that.

Bill in OKC

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 11:46:44 AM CDT, Jack Dinan <jack@...> wrote:

Drives me nuts.

Did you look in the refrigerator? Shop apron? Clothes in the hamper? I rarely find something where I’ve looked – even multiple times. It’s usually where I haven’t looked because it wouldn’t be there. Good luck! <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>

Bill in OKC too

I worked for a short time as a special education teacher, and I taught my students to talk themselves through difficult tasks they needed to remember. Subvocalize if possible, better out loud than not at all. It gives your brain more ways to process, which helps in many ways. 

I always told them that talking to yourself is only a problem if you get in an argument with yourself, and lose. ;)

SWMBO laughs at me, but it helps. And I've noticed she does it now, too. Though I never say anything about. If I still want live. :)

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 11:51:37 AM CDT, Jack Dinan <jack@...> wrote:

Drives me nuts.

jonwoellhaf

Great minds think alike! Smile

Sent: March 20, 2021 10:51

Drives me nuts.

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

I am convinced that not all my possessions exist simultaneously in the same dimension. To make one thing reappear, something else has to go.

The instant reappearance of objects upon procurement of a replacement also sometimes works for me too.

Eddie

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Saturday, 20 Mar, 21 At 18:33

Drives me nuts.

Dave P.

Simple, just skip all the normal places you look and go for the last place you'll look.
Isn't that where you always find stuff.

Or just be organized like me and put it in a logical place where you know you'll look next time!
The key is remembering to be logical when you look next time! I am still trying to use that
logic to find several things I have stored in the past.

D

Bill in OKC too

That seems in accord with my experiences, too. Socks, tools, wallets & keys. If I can ever learn to control, it will make me rich! It would be great to be able to put stuff in the place when I don't need it, and bring it back out when I do, instead of the way it seems to work now. :)

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:17:00 PM CDT, eddie.draper@... via groups.io <eddie.draper@...> wrote:

I am convinced that not all my possessions exist simultaneously in the same dimension. To make one thing reappear, something else has to go.

The instant reappearance of objects upon procurement of a replacement also sometimes works for me too.

Eddie

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Saturday, 20 Mar, 21 At 18:33

Drives me nuts.

Bill in OKC too

I do have a box marked Someplace Special and when I am careful to put things in that particular box, they seem to remain there. If I put the stuff in any other someplace special it's gone. I may or may not see it again. I've discovered that what was logical once is rarely the same the next time. 

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:19:37 PM CDT, Dave P. <thespamcatcher@...> wrote:

Simple, just skip all the normal places you look and go for the last place you'll look.

Or just be organized like me and put it in a logical place where you know you'll look next time!
The key is remembering to be logical when you look next time! I am still trying to use that

D

wlw19958

Hi There,

I have that happen from time to time.  The last time it happened,
the tool was in my pocket!  (That make one feel stupid). 

I've always blamed it on gnomes (like the Underpants Gnomes from Southpark).

Generally, I find that if I work on something else, it will turn up.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Bill in OKC too

And that, right there, is why I'm usually missing a couple of dozen tool at any given moment! ;) I put the smiley face there, but it really is true, too! 

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:54:56 PM CDT, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

I have that happen from time to time.  The last time it happened,
the tool was in my pocket!  (That make one feel stupid). 

I've always blamed it on gnomes (like the Underpants Gnomes from Southpark).

Generally, I find that if I work on something else, it will turn up.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Milan Trcka

Been there, done that. Stop looking. Instead do something totally unrelated. Maybe even for the rest of the day. After some time all of a sudden you will find it. Then you will remember that you put it there...

Works for me.

M

Jim_B

If you really need it, buy another! Once the order is placed you will find the redundant one. 

Jim B,

On Mar 20, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

I do have a box marked Someplace Special and when I am careful to put things in that particular box, they seem to remain there. If I put the stuff in any other someplace special it's gone. I may or may not see it again. I've discovered that what was logical once is rarely the same the next time. 

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 03:19:37 PM CDT, Dave P. <thespamcatcher@...> wrote:

D

--
Jim B

ww_big_al

When you find it, it will be in the last place you looked. LOL. 
Be sure to check your trash can. You never know

Al Knack

On Mar 20, 2021, at 11:46 AM, Jack Dinan <jack@...> wrote:

Drives me nuts.

Bill in OKC too

I must be doing it wrong then. I don't find them until the new one gets here.

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 07:47:37 PM CDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

If you really need it, buy another! Once the order is placed you will find the redundant one. 

Jim B,

On Mar 20, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

Bill in OKC

D

--
Jim B

trackthatpot2000

Now for the embarrassing bit ...it turned out that what I thought was the reamer was in fact a drill bit I ordered last week the Wife brought it into the workshop and I didn’t take a close look at it cos I was working on the lathe, and assumed it was the expected reamer..I told her to leave it on the bench. Later on I decided to ream the hole now that it had arrived..but I couldn’t find it ...Well I wouldn’t would I, cos it was in the post and still on the way....so I was searching for something I never had. Everything became clear this morning when the said reamer finally arrived...Old age is great isn’t it 😒