From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io [mailto:SouthBendLathe@groups.io] On Behalf Of wlw19958
Sent: March-19-21 4:24 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Collet Rack Angle

Hi There,

I purchased a collet rack casting from Fred and I would like
to know the angle the rack sits at so to be able to drill the
hole for the support pipe at the correct angle.

Anybody know this angle for sure?

Thanks in Advanced!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Steve Wells

Webb,

I believe it’s 30 degrees.

Steve

I purchased a collet rack casting from Fred and I would like
to know the angle the rack sits at so to be able to drill the
hole for the support pipe at the correct angle.

Anybody know this angle for sure?

Thanks in Advanced!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Edited

Hi There,

Assuming you are right about the 30° Steve,  I have set-up the rack
on my Millrite mill for drilling the hole.

I'll get to drilling that hole tomorrow.  I'll take some pics for you-all.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Steve Wells

Webb, If you need measurements of the support tube, I can take some photos of it on my 10L Toolroom lathe and mark them up.

Steve

On Mar 19, 2021, at 11:51 PM, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

Assuming you are right about the 30° Steve,  I have set-up the rack
on my Millrite mill for drilling the hole.

<DSC_0060.JPG>

<DSC_0062.JPG>

<DSC_0064.JPG>

I'll get top drilling that hole tomorrow.  I'll take some pics for you-all.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Steve, I think I'm good.  I've got most of an old collet rack already.

The only things I was missing was the actual rack and the hook to hang the
draw tube.   I got a hook as well from Fred.  The shaft was quite a bit oversized
and I had to machine it down.

The tube is there and I think it is the correct length.  The diameter of the pipe is
.672"  which is basically 43/64".

The one thing I don't know is the location (or the size) of the set screws used to
lock the rack to the tube.

If you or someone could provide that info, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Steve Wells

Webb,

With the tray facing forward on the tube, the screw holes are at 0 degrees, or at the back of the spud.

From the bottom edge of the spud rear, the first hole center is 0.250 and the second is 1.000, not much room

on the lower hole, I only have about 0.125 space from the hole to the edge, you might use .300 to be safe.

My socket head cap screws may not be original and they may have been little square head screws, but I used

1/4-20, 3/8 length. 3/16 drive size, they work well, and easier to adjust or remove.

Steve

Steve, I think I'm good.  I've got most of an old collet rack already.

The only things I was missing was the actual rack and the hook to hang the
draw tube.   I got a hook as well from Fred.  The shaft was quite a bit oversized
and I had to machine it down.

The tube is there and I think it is the correct length.  The diameter of the pipe is
.672"  which is basically 43/64".

The one thing I don't know is the location (or the size) of the set screws used to
lock the rack to the tube.

If you or someone could provide that info, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Ruud

The setscrew is on the rest side of the colletrack.

groetjes,
Ruud

Op 20 mrt. 2021 19:30 schreef Steve Wells <wswells@...>:

Webb,

With the tray facing forward on the tube, the screw holes are at 0 degrees, or at the back of the spud.

From the bottom edge of the spud rear, the first hole center is 0.250 and the second is 1.000, not much room

[...]

The original holes are 1/4-20

Mine is a 1967 that came with the tool room sundries.

Steve

Steve, I think I'm good.  I've got most of an old collet rack already.

The only things I was missing was the actual rack and the hook to hang the
draw tube.   I got a hook as well from Fred.  The shaft was quite a bit oversized
and I had to machine it down.

The tube is there and I think it is the correct length.  The diameter of the pipe is
.672"  which is basically 43/64".

The one thing I don't know is the location (or the size) of the set screws used to
lock the rack to the tube.

If you or someone could provide that info, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Ruud

The setscrew is on the rest side of the colletrack (stupid Phone autocorrection). Must be “rear side”.

Mvg,

Ruud Silvertant

Steve, I think I'm good.  I've got most of an old collet rack already.

The only things I was missing was the actual rack and the hook to hang the
draw tube.   I got a hook as well from Fred.  The shaft was quite a bit oversized
and I had to machine it down.

The tube is there and I think it is the correct length.  The diameter of the pipe is
.672"  which is basically 43/64".

The one thing I don't know is the location (or the size) of the set screws used to
lock the rack to the tube.

If you or someone could provide that info, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

John Dammeyer

Here's what mine looks like. Two set screws to hold it to the post.
John Dammeyer

Sent from my Samsung S10

Steve, I think I'm good.  I've got most of an old collet rack already.

The only things I was missing was the actual rack and the hook to hang the
draw tube.   I got a hook as well from Fred.  The shaft was quite a bit oversized
and I had to machine it down.

The tube is there and I think it is the correct length.  The diameter of the pipe is
.672"  which is basically 43/64".

The one thing I don't know is the location (or the size) of the set screws used to
lock the rack to the tube.

If you or someone could provide that info, that would be very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Thanks Steve and Ruud!  I am surprised that the two set screws are in-line.
I would have expected something like a 90° offset between them.

Looking at the pics of Ruud's collet rack, I think my tube has been cut short.
Would you mind measuring the distance from the top of the bed clamp to
the bottom of your rack?

Thanks for all the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

With the help of Steve and Ruud (and others), I have drilled
the rack casting and have trial fitted it to the rest of the set-up.

First was to center drill the plinth.

Then, I used a 3/16" drill to take it to depth (about 1-1/4").

I followed that with a 1/2" drill.

And then the 43/64" drill.

Then a chamfer was added.

Now comes the proof of the pudding.  I set the rack in place.

I still have to drill and tap the two holes for the set screws.  Another day...

Thanks for all the help!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

John Dammeyer

Since my collet rack was still off from taking those pictures I checked with a tape measure and from the top of the V way on the bed to the top of the post is 10" on mine.

John Dammeyer

Thanks Steve and Ruud!  I am surprised that the two set screws are in-line.
I would have expected something like a 90° offset between them.

Looking at the pics of Ruud's collet rack, I think my tube has been cut short.
Would you mind measuring the distance from the top of the bed clamp to
the bottom of your rack?

Thanks for all the help so far!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

John, if I follow correctly, the same measurement on my assembly is 11".
When I measure from the top of the clamp (just behind the tube) to the
base (plinth) of the collet rack casting, I get 10".

Thanks for the info!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

John Dammeyer

When I get back I'll take a photo.

Sent from my Samsung S10

John, if I follow correctly, the same measurement on my assembly is 11".
When I measure from the top of the clamp (just behind the tube) to the
base (plinth) of the collet rack casting, I get 10".

Thanks for the info!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

John Dammeyer

Here's the photo.  Excuse the mess.  Wasn't expecting company in the shop.  I've put it here rather than attaching it because this way I can give you much higher resolution so that you can zoom in to see the 10" markings on the square and the mount to the lathe bed.

http://www.autoartisans.com/southbend/PostHeight.jpg

John Dammeyer

John, if I follow correctly, the same measurement on my assembly is 11".
When I measure from the top of the clamp (just behind the tube) to the
base (plinth) of the collet rack casting, I get 10".

Thanks for the info!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Bill in OKC too

Don't worry about it, John. Looks a lot better than my shop, and I've been cleaning and organizing since the week my brother told me he was on his way to deliver the Smithy 3-in-1 machine he bought for me last year and a bit ago. I can see patches of floor, the four lathes, and the top of one drill press. I have 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag, so to speak.

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 07:47:49 PM CDT, John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:

Here's the photo.  Excuse the mess.  Wasn't expecting company in the shop.  I've put it here rather than attaching it because this way I can give you much higher resolution so that you can zoom in to see the 10" markings on the square and the mount to the lathe bed.

http://www.autoartisans.com/southbend/PostHeight.jpg

John Dammeyer

John, if I follow correctly, the same measurement on my assembly is 11".
When I measure from the top of the clamp (just behind the tube) to the
base (plinth) of the collet rack casting, I get 10".

Thanks for the info!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Okay John, I understand now.  I get the same measurement on mine.
When it comes to messy shops, you don't have anything to apologize
for.  Mine is much worse.  BTW, is this the beginning of "Who has the
messiest shop" contest?

Thanks!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

John Dammeyer

While I'm in the middle of something it usually looks like a bomb hit the place.  But I have also been trying to be more organized.  For example a short while ago I was cleaning the wood working area and this picture shows what I found.  OMG!  A tablesaw