Which do I keep? 1949 9" Tool Room or 1935 9" Heavy

Vince Eugenio

Hi folks!

I am fortunate enough to be presented with a good problem that I would like the perspective of the group on. I have two South Bend 9" lathes. A very nice 1949 tool room catalog 8644A with a 4ft bed and all the goodies such as taper attachment, collets, chucks, steady rest, face plates with dogs, milling attachment, etc. The other lathe is a very nice 1935 480YN with a 3ft bed with two chucks, face plate, some tooling, and steady rest. It also has the factory maple stand.

For context, I am getting ready to retire in about a year.  I am a former shop teacher who wants to do a little metal working to complement my woodworking, motorcycle and car hobbies. The 480YN is a much more substantial lathe than the 9" tool room, but the toolroom is very well equipped. Much more than the 480YN.

Frankly I am very torn. I am leaning toward one but would like the opinion of the group. Once my decision is made, the other lathe will go up for sale. Thanks for any input!!

--

Regards,

Vince

Andrei

Vince, my vote is for the tool room lathe. It is better tooled, and you will be using it for a hobby.

[...]

mby852@...

For me and if I had the room I'd keep them both.

david pennington

Vince, the tool room lathe is my pick, too, for similar reasons. For me, the joy lies in precision and versatility, not in making heavy cuts.

Question: if you were to keep the '35, don't all the accessories for the '49 fit it?

[...]

James Rice

I’d keep both.

Jamea

On Mar 8, 2021, at 9:00 AM, Vince Eugenio <vince.eugenio.phd@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. Some of the accessories would work from the toolroom to the heavy, but the bed is significantly wider on the 480YN and the headstock is larger and deeper as well. Also, the mounting for the compound slide is different as well.

Vince

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:25 AM david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Vince Eugenio, PhD ACC CCMC CELDC
Coach and Senior Talent Management Leader
404 277 2426
http://www.linkedin.com/in/vinceeugeniophd

david pennington

Vince,

That's fascinating. My '46 9C is a 415YC. It probably more like your tool room lathe.

[...]

It is interesting to see the variation. My 480YN uses a double wall apron and a single tumbler gear box. SB made a big deal about the composition of the casting being 50% steel of the 480YN and having heavier construction. Bed width from CL of outside to outside prism is 6 3/8 vs 5 1/8 for the toolroom.

Vince

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM david pennington via groups.io <davidwpennington=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Steve Wells

The Workshop 9A would probably be the one to keep, longer bed, lots more accessories available, higher spindle speeds, better lubrication system.

The hobby cash from the sale of the Letter series 9 would buy more tooling for the 9A than the other way around. Don’t think a taper attachment for a wide bed 9 inch is

going to be low cost, or even available, and the list goes on, but I would like to see the maple bench, can you post a picture please.

Steve

[...]

Roger Bickers

Sell both and get a Heavy 10. The ability to use 5c collets speaks volumes.

Roger

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 9:59 AM, Vince Eugenio
<vince.eugenio.phd@...> wrote:
[...]

wlw19958

Hi There,

If at all possible, keep both.  I believe one should have at least 2 lathes.
One reason is that when one lathe breaks, you can use the other one to
make the parts or repairs for the first one.  Also, there will be times that
you have made a crucial set-up on one lathe and then a job comes up
and you need to take down the set-up to do the other job.  With two lathes,
you wouldn't have to take down that crucial set-up.

If it is impossible to keep both, then the lathe that is in the best condition
should be your choice.  If both are equally good, then the better tooled.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

david pennington

I like your perspective. I got really excited when I added a second mill to my shop for exactly that reason. I now have two drill presses, two mills, and a milling attachment for my lathe...just in case! LOL

If at all possible, keep both.  I believe one should have at least 2 lathes.
One reason is that when one lathe breaks, you can use the other one to
make the parts or repairs for the first one.  Also, there will be times that
you have made a crucial set-up on one lathe and then a job comes up
and you need to take down the set-up to do the other job.  With two lathes,
you wouldn't have to take down that crucial set-up.

If it is impossible to keep both, then the lathe that is in the best condition
should be your choice.  If both are equally good, then the better tooled.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

mike allen

        Doesn't the Tool Room Lathe have large dials ? That would give it extra points in my decision making . Also the 4 ' bed is another plus

        animal

On 3/8/2021 7:28 AM, Vince Eugenio wrote:
[...]

Hi Animal,

This lathe does not have the large dials unfortunately.

Vince

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 1:25 PM mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard

Your1949 9" bed has another 12" that can be used if for no other reason than a place to move the tailstock out of the way.  The lighter wt lathe should get around to finishing any work that the 1935 heavy bed will do.

[...]

Davis Johnson

I'm going to jump on to the "keep the 9" bandwagon. The tooling makes all the difference, to replace even part of that for the older lathe. The longer bed is a plus. I've got a three foot 9A and a 3 1/2 foot 10L. They have almost identical distance between centers. Your newer lathe may have as much as a foot and a half more between centers than the older lathe.

On 3/8/21 8:17 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Ondrej Krejci

Howdy,

Sell both and get a Monarch 10EE.

Enjoy retirement,

OK

On 3/8/21 8:17 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Stuart Wilby

Have a good retirement Vince, I bought my SB 9” a few years before retiring along with some accessories, it soon became clear to me that one machine was perfect for my hobbies, motorcycle repair and general machining on a small scale, however, it became clearer by the day after I retired that one lathe was not enough, so I bought another Lathe and built a dedicated space to work in and keep it all together, the lathe had a milling slide which has its uses alongside the milling machine, my advice would be to keep both machines if you have the space just because you can, they take some finding these days, have a good think before selling and I’ll guarantee this, if you sell one, inside a week you’ll regret it when that need appears at your workshop door.