Threading Stop Bolt

wlw19958

Hi There,

While I wait for quotes for the tap, I've got something else to
occupy my time.

In my collection of spare parts, I have a threading stop bolt
that is too big to be for a Heavy Ten.

This bolt is 2-7/8" over-all length, 5/16-18 thread.  The knurled head is .635" in
diameter and the head is .440" long.

The Heavy Ten uses a 1/4" bolt so this is for a bigger lathe.  Does anyone know
what size lathe this is for (13", 14-1/2", 16")?

Thanks in Advance!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

motopreserveshop

I just made one of those for my heavy 10 yesterday! :). Machine came with the stop but no screw.

Not sure about the larger size though.

On Feb 27, 2021, at 11:48 AM, wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...> wrote:

Hi There,

While I wait for quotes for the tap, I've got something else to
occupy my time.

In my collection of spare parts, I have a threading stop bolt
that is too big to be for a Heavy Ten.

<1325885153969.bmp>

This bolt is 2-7/8" over-all length, 5/16-18 thread.  The knurled head is .635" in
diameter and the head is .440" long.

The Heavy Ten uses a 1/4" bolt so this is for a bigger lathe.  Does anyone know
what size lathe this is for (13", 14-1/2", 16")?

Thanks in Advance!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Funny you should mention that.  I also made some for my
Heavy Ten.  I have an NOS one for a 9" 10K and according
to the part number, they use the same screw as the Heavy Ten.

Using the dimensions from that screw I made these.

The original used 30° bevel knurls but I like the 45° bevels.  That matches the
knurling on the knobs of the QC gearbox and other SBL accessories.

I have 3 different tpi knurls (30, 25 and 20 going from left to right).  I was going
to ask people here which pitch looks best to them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Steve Wells

25 looks just right!!

Steve

Funny you should mention that.  I also made some for my
Heavy Ten.  I have an NOS one for a 9" 10K and according
to the part number, they use the same screw as the Heavy Ten.

Using the dimensions from that screw I made these.

The original used 30° bevel knurls but I like the 45° bevels.  That matches the
knurling on the knobs of the QC gearbox and other SBL accessories.

I have 3 different tpi knurls (30, 25 and 20 going from left to right).  I was going
to ask people here which pitch looks best to them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

motopreserveshop

Those look superb. I like the center knurl as well. Not too much, not too little :)

On Feb 27, 2021, at 2:53 PM, Steve Wells <wswells@...> wrote:

25 looks just right!!

Steve

Funny you should mention that.  I also made some for my
Heavy Ten.  I have an NOS one for a 9" 10K and according
to the part number, they use the same screw as the Heavy Ten.

Using the dimensions from that screw I made these.

<image001.png>

The original used 30° bevel knurls but I like the 45° bevels.  That matches the
knurling on the knobs of the QC gearbox and other SBL accessories.

I have 3 different tpi knurls (30, 25 and 20 going from left to right).  I was going
to ask people here which pitch looks best to them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Ruud

Nice screw,…what are the dimensions?

Ruud Silvertant

Funny you should mention that.  I also made some for my
Heavy Ten.  I have an NOS one for a 9" 10K and according
to the part number, they use the same screw as the Heavy Ten.

Using the dimensions from that screw I made these.

<image001.png>

The original used 30° bevel knurls but I like the 45° bevels.  That matches the
knurling on the knobs of the QC gearbox and other SBL accessories.

I have 3 different tpi knurls (30, 25 and 20 going from left to right).  I was going
to ask people here which pitch looks best to them.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

wlw19958

Hi There,

Nice screw,…what are the dimensions?

The original I have from the 9" and 10K looks like this

The screw close up looks like this (next to one I made with the real fine knurling)

I thought the original lacked "pizzazz" and I liked the look of the bigger screw I
pictured earlier so, I made mine to mimic the larger one some.

Dimensions of the original:  OAL = 2.375",  Threaded shank: 1.930", 1/4-20 Threads
extending up shank from the end: 1.210" diameter of shank: .243".  Head diameter:
.452", Length: .443".

The ones I made vary a tiny bit from one another.  Seeing you guys liked the 25 tpi
one, I'll give its dimensions.  OAL = 2.450", Shank = 2.00",  Threaded section = 1.420"
Diameter of shank = .250",  Head diameter = .532" ( I started with .511" before knurling ),
Head length = .446", Undercut below knurling = .471".

I made all of mine from 1144 Stressproof® steel.  The other two I just used 1/2" stock.
the "medium" knurled one I wanted to have a slightly larger head so I turned down
some 5/8" stock I had to .511".

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Ruud

Yesterday halfour job. Die is on order. I had several imperial dies, not the 1/4-20.

groetjes,
Ruud

Op 27 feb. 2021 23:58 schreef wlw19958 <wlw-19958@...>:

Hi There,

[...]

Looks good!  The only comment I will make is that the original shank was 1/4"
(actually measured .243") the whole way from the knurled head to the end.  I
know the hole in the stop casting is larger but I assume this is to allow for any
misalignment between the hole in the stop casting and the threaded hole in
the cross slide.  Of course, yours may align perfectly and not be a factor.  just
bear it in mind in case there is a problem.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Jim_B

FWIW.
Here is one I made for my 9” Workshop.

I wont say it follows the SB design. I just made it from what I thought a stop should do.  I did not lock the adjusting screw. I mad a tapered shoe to bare against the way.

I will say I seldom used it.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 1:46 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I was thinking of making a threading stop for my 13 ..how do you stop the screw from rotating when in use? ..is there a spring or a locking nut or something like that?

Jim B.

--
Jim B

david_g4000

On the original SB 13 threading stop, there is a locking nut that tightens against the front side of the stop. So, you hold the knurled part of the bolt and tighten it against the stop with a wrench. Just add a nut to what you have and that is it!

On 3/2/2021 1:46 PM, trackthatpot2000 wrote:
I was thinking of making a threading stop for my 13 ..how do you stop the screw from rotating when in use? ..is there a spring or a locking nut or something like that?

david_g4000

Sorry, I meant the nut tightens against the cross slide and is on the back side of the stop. There is no lockwasher needed. Had to look at mine - memory sometimes is not so great.

On 3/2/2021 2:35 PM, Jim_B wrote:
FWIW.
Here is one I made for my 9” Workshop.

I wont say it follows the SB design. I just made it from what I thought a stop should do.  I did not lock the adjusting screw. I mad a tapered shoe to bare against the way.

I will say I seldom used it.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 1:46 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I was thinking of making a threading stop for my 13 ..how do you stop the screw from rotating when in use? ..is there a spring or a locking nut or something like that?

Jim B.

--
Jim B

wlw19958

Hi There,

I use a jam nut on mine too.  It always bothered me that the screw
was loose to turn.  I never had a problem but I rest easier knowing
that vibration or a careless hand movement won't disturb the setting.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

trackthatpot2000

I’d be interested in what size is the thread on the 13 cross slide hole?  I tried a 1/4” x 20 screw but it was too small, so I tried a  5/16” x 18 tap and  it was too big ...could it be that the thread has not yet been tapped out .?

wlw19958

Hi There,

Not having access to a thirteen inch I cannot say for sure but
SBL used standard threads in most of their products.

Could it be that it is just occluded with rust, paint and/or old swarf?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

ww_big_al

Jim,

Is that large dial convertion the one Steve Wells published?

Al

I wont say it follows the SB design. I just made it from what I thought a stop should do.  I did not lock the adjusting screw. I mad a tapered shoe to bare against the way.

I will say I seldom used it.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 1:46 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I was thinking of making a threading stop for my 13 ..how do you stop the screw from rotating when in use? ..is there a spring or a locking nut or something like that?

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Jim_B

No it’s one I did based on the SB design . The cross feed dial is SB OEM that I got from Steve. The compound dial I made. There should be a detailed write up in the files section. It’s all ball/Roller bearing mounted.

Jim B,

On Mar 2, 2021, at 7:05 PM, ww_big_al <arknack@...> wrote:

Jim,

Is that large dial convertion the one Steve Wells published?

Al

I wont say it follows the SB design. I just made it from what I thought a stop should do.  I did not lock the adjusting screw. I mad a tapered shoe to bare against the way.

I will say I seldom used it.

On Mar 2, 2021, at 1:46 PM, trackthatpot2000 <timmsken@...> wrote:

I was thinking of making a threading stop for my 13 ..how do you stop the screw from rotating when in use? ..is there a spring or a locking nut or something like that?

Jim B.

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

--
Jim B

david_g4000

It's a 5/15"-18 thread on my 1931 13" SB. I remember that the hole on my was full of crud and I had to tap it out to clear it.

On 3/2/2021 5:45 PM, trackthatpot2000 wrote:
I’d be interested in what size is the thread on the 13 cross slide hole?  I tried a 1/4” x 20 screw but it was too small, so I tried a  5/16” x 18 tap and  it was too big ...could it be that the thread has not yet been tapped out .?

Steve Wells

Jim, I think he meant is that the same cross-feed assembly in those photos,

as your large dial project I posted on the website, yes it’s same I assume.

Steve