Announcing the Shut Down of Yahoo Groups

mark lester

I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

George Meinschein

Mark,

You made it to the new home!

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

WANTED: Bent, busted, rusted, and/or generally dysfunctional "C&R Eligible" firearms

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: bustedguns@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
www.meinscheinengineering.com
On 10/26/2020 6:51 PM, mllester325 via groups.io wrote:
I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

Guenther Paul

I think this forum needs to go to groups IO

GP

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 07:28:15 PM EDT, mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325@...> wrote:

I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

m. allan noah

Seriously? It IS on groups.io

allan

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 07:28:15 PM EDT, mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@yahoo.com
of my hand"

Sam

Mark.  Try Facebook Groups.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 7:28 PM mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

I had to get off Facebook, deleted my account way too much objectionable conte t...any less monstrous option?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 7:02 PM Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:
Mark.  Try Facebook Groups.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 7:28 PM mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

Bill in OKC too

Since we're here using groups.io, is there a problem remaining here? GIO does not, I repeat, NOT seem to be going anywhere bad. It works well, let's use it!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 09:51:47 PM CDT, Jeff, wa1hco <wa1hco@...> wrote:

I had to get off Facebook, deleted my account way too much objectionable conte t...any less monstrous option?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 7:02 PM Sam <i.am.sam.sam.i.am2008@...> wrote:
Mark.  Try Facebook Groups.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 7:28 PM mllester325 via groups.io <mllester325=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I apologize if I have missed any discussion about the end of Yahoo groups.
I have learned so much from this group - you guys have been a tremendous resource for me and my 10L.

Are there plans for a new home?

Mark Lester
mllester325@...

George Meinschein

Bill,
I think the recent post that woke this thread up was probably way late to the game. I personally prefer email groups to forums and I have never been on Facebook. Not saying that there's nothing to be had on Facebook, I just don't think it's for me.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 10:59 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Andrei

I think it is time we close this thread.

We all knew this was coming from about a year ago when Verizon decided to kill the Yahoo Groups. No news here.

Same for the misguided suggestions that were floated to go to Facebook which is not designed for this kind of interaction and information sharing.

We are lucky that Groups IO is here and will stay for the foreseeable future.

[...]

john kling

Facebook,  Google, Yahoo and twitter all have large shares of their markets and  are now adopting cartel like policies to curb the flow of information.  I believe that any new home should be chosen with a nod to avoidance of the near monopolies with the attending damage to  competition and the flow of information.

On Thursday, October 29, 2020, 9:16:54 AM EDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah. good luck with that. short of smoke signals, there is no way to avoid these telecom monopolies.

[...]

doug kilbourn

I have really enjoyed this group even though I have not been an active machinist for decades

I inherited a family lathe that I would entertain offers to sell near

Calgary Alberta

My great uncle bought it and I first learned on it in the late 1950s. it went to my grandfather and to me and has only machined parts for model steam engines for its life with us

It is a model 89, cat no 677 z, bed 3 ½, 3 chucks, face plate, and steady bearing all original paint and condition and always in a house basement.

Any idea on worth and any interested out there?

Thank you

Doug Kilbourn email h2oridr@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Dave P.

I applaud the work done by the person/persons responsible for the "seamless"
transition from a yahoo group to a io group!

There appears to be a number of people that don't even realize that they are
no longer seeing posts on yahoo, but from groups.io.

Most of the groups I used to read on yahoo have been transitioned to groups.io
along with my membership info as were most of the people in those groups.

If you are unclear of what I am talking about, look at the address of where the
post is - if you are seeing this it is NOT a yahoo post!

Dave

--
👀 “There are notions so foolish that only an intellectual will believe them.”

Jim_B

It's actually the nature of Groups.IO.

It was designed from the ground up to take over from Yahoo. I was told, at the time, that the programer was the same person who originally developed Yahoo Groups before Yahoo acquired them.

He mad a lot of improvements to the format, many of which we dont use.

On Oct 31, 2020, at 11:02 AM, Dave P. <thespamcatcher@...> wrote:

I applaud the work done by the person/persons responsible for the "seamless"
transition from a yahoo group to a io group!

There appears to be a number of people that don't even realize that they are
no longer seeing posts on yahoo, but from groups.io.

Most of the groups I used to read on yahoo have been transitioned to groups.io
along with my membership info as were most of the people in those groups.

If you are unclear of what I am talking about, look at the address of where the
post is - if you are seeing this it is NOT a yahoo post!

Dave

--
👀 “There are notions so foolish that only an intellectual will believe them.”

Jim B.

--
Jim B

john kling

Hey I am one who forgot that there was a transition.

On Saturday, October 31, 2020, 11:04:43 AM EDT, Dave P. <thespamcatcher@...> wrote:

I applaud the work done by the person/persons responsible for the "seamless"
transition from a yahoo group to a io group!

There appears to be a number of people that don't even realize that they are
no longer seeing posts on yahoo, but from groups.io.

Most of the groups I used to read on yahoo have been transitioned to
groups.io
along with my membership info as were most of the people in those groups.

If you are unclear of what I am talking about, look at the address of
where the
post is - if you are seeing this it is NOT a yahoo post!

Dave

--
👀 “There are notions so foolish that only an intellectual will believe
them.”

Bill in OKC too

Well, I think that says good things about Groups.io, and Mark Fletcher and his team.