9inch c to a conversion

Patrick Murphy

Hi  all i am in need of some info. Does anyone know if the saddle on the A and C are the  same. I am converting C to an A and am at the assembly stage and the aprin  is rubbing on the bottom .edge  of the bed its just barely rubbing on the tin cover of the worm. The lathe is a 1936 vintage and is in mint condition so I thought I would convert it to an A. I bought the parts on Ebay and was lucky that all I bought   were in very good shape. I am wondering if the bed castings on earlier lathes were a little wider at the bottom, if that is the problem I can trim the casting but I want to make sure there is no problem with the carriage and aprin

.

john kling

As I recall might  be a  difference and some filing was required to allow the gear on the different cross feed screw to mesh with that in the apron.

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 9:07:26 PM EDT, Patrick Murphy via groups.io <p.murphy22@...> wrote:

Hi  all i am in need of some info. Does anyone know if the saddle on the A and C are the  same. I am converting C to an A and am at the assembly stage and the aprin  is rubbing on the bottom .edge  of the bed its just barely rubbing on the tin cover of the worm. The lathe is a 1936 vintage and is in mint condition so I thought I would convert it to an A. I bought the parts on Ebay and was lucky that all I bought   were in very good shape. I am wondering if the bed castings on earlier lathes were a little wider at the bottom, if that is the problem I can trim the casting but I want to make sure there is no problem with the carriage and aprin

.

Glen Ruch

I don't believe all parts were manufactured to thousands precision.  I believe there was a lot of hand fitting of parts in assembly.  Nor do I believe they evaluated the various tolerance stack ups.

I replaced the back gear handle on my 9 inch C workbench lathe.  I ended up re-taper reaming the handle eccentric to fit on the back gear axle.  Unfortunately when I was ready to replace the back gear assembly, it no longer fit between the eccentrics.  It currently waits for me to decide how I want to make it fit, either by shortening the back gear assembly or the eccentrics.

Regards.

On 10/17/20 12:47 AM, john kling via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Just to add a bit. The crossfeed  leadscrew for the A and B lathes has a gear at the end which meshes with a gear in the apron which serves to turn the crossfeed lead screw. The  C model which does not have power cross feed and does not have the gear. My lathe is a 415 not technically a model C. This might be why some work wasa needed to give clearance for the gear on the cross feed lead screw.

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 12:47:21 AM EDT, john kling via groups.io <jkling222@...> wrote:

[...]

Louis

I just looked at my Series N from the same era and there's very little clearance between that metal cover and the base of the bed. Maybe 50 thou or so. I would guess your bed might just be a bit wide due to variance in the castings and it worked fine for the model C but not for your changes. If it was me I would just trim the base slightly.

Steve Wells

John, you are right on the money when stating you have a No 15 Workshop, not a Model C. As Patrick suspects, the beds had several
revisions between the No 5, No 15, and the Model C, the lower area he is questioning does have to be milled for clearance for the A/B Power
Feed Apron, a lot on the No 5, less on the No 15 depending on the serial number to bed revision date. Both can be converted, but you need a No 15 or
Model C saddle with the lock on the front. A 1936 should have bed style B-7 with less clearance problems. You still may have to grind the front bed foot area
where the QC box sits, it hits the earlier B-5 bed casting.

Steve

[...]

mike allen

        this may not be relevant but there were more than one type of 9" SB lathe

        animal