Topics

New member

Tyler

Welcome Kit,
I also have a 405 (#59162), and unless I am mistaken, someone has replaced your tailstock with one from a later 9".  The 405s usually had the tailstock cast with both sides open which allowed the wrench to be used from either side.  I would suggest double-checking the fit and alignment of your tailstock.

As others said, the gears are 20 DP so later gears will not fit unless you also change the spindle.  The spindle felts should definitely be replaced.  Fortunately, removing the spindle is pretty easy on this model, and if desired, it is possible to use a later headstock.  Keep in mind your leadscrew is LH thread, while the later ones are RH.  This could be an issue if you use a later headstock with a tumbler.

-Tyler

On Monday, September 21, 2020, 9:28:14 AM CDT, Kit Maira <kit.maira@...> wrote:

Just bought my first South Bend lathe. It is marked South Bend Workshop Precision 9” with a 3’ bed. I am told it is a 405, manufactured in 1935. Unfortunately it is missing the reversing stud and gear, as will as most of the change gears. The only gears included are marked Turning Gear 1-5 and Compound Gear 105. I am also missing the reversing stud and gear. I would like to find these parts, without buying the wrong stuff through trial and error. Anyone have these parts for sale?

I was thinking that maybe the gears could be 3D printed as a last resort, but the patterns on Thingiverse are for the later 9” model. I don’t have a 3D printer anyway, but maybe could have them made if someone has done the work already.

In any case, thanks for having me, it is great that this resource exists.

m. allan noah

The 405 should have 20 DP gears, IIRC. But, you should measure the OD and tooth count of your gears to be sure.

allan

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io <wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kit, I've got the 3D printer files from Thingiverse contributor dsell. The info on the gears he designed are as follows: 14.5 PA; 18 DP; 3/8" thick; 1/8" key; 9/16" hole. If you can find the same info on the gears your lathe takes, this will help you figure out if they can work for you. I've still not been able to figure out if they'll work on my Heavy 10L, but it's so far from being usable that's not a priority for me yet. I do have a 3D printer, and hope to be able to get to it one of these days. So far, I've printed one 127 tooth mini-lathe change gear, and several years after having printed it, I still can't tell you if it will actually work on the 7x10 mini-lathe. I purchased the 3d printer to make change gears for that, and my Atlas TH42, before I got the Heavy 10L. It should work to print them, also, but I'm not educated enough in the right areas to really figure that out yet. And there is the whole can't reach much of anything including the 3d printer.

There is a group I started that might help you, you'd be welcome to join, if interested. https://groups.io/g/3D-Printing-for-Metal-Hobbyists/topics

I had planned on having all that sorted out by now, but my back has not been cooperating, and COVID-19 has made it harder to get the treatments that might solve the problem for a while, anyway. I do have an appointment this week to get another set of nerves burned, and that may let me do stuff again. I hope. If it works out, I'll be playing with mine again, and may be able to help you too.

Seems to me Steve Wells has some info on the various sizes of change gears SB has used, but I need to go do some stuff for SWMBO, who has her own medical problems, including much worse back troubles than mine.

HTH!

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Jim_B

I may be incorrect on Boxford. I think the 22 DP is Myford.
Here is a link to gears.

Another thing, The spindle thread on your lathe is 1-3/8-10. Not 1-1/2-8 as are later lathes.

Here are some other differences.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Jim B. <jim@...> wrote:

I ay be wrong on the Boxford.
I think its Myford.
here is a link.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Jim B. <jim@...> wrote:

<Reversing stub.jpeg>

I used to have a 405.
first thing to know is that the gearing is 20 DP. Later workshops, 415 and on are 18 DP (except for the 415 twin gears, which you the 405 does not have).
When I got my 405, it also did not have any gears except for the turning set up.
Attached is a picture of the stub gear you are looking for. I dont believe Its mine. I dont remember ever having one.
I did change my headstock over to a later side oiler one. Your oilers are not the same. In the top of the journals are small slices of felt. You should ASAP, remove the spindle and clean and replace those.
Felt is available from McMaster-Carr. The rebuild kit is not for the 405.
Now 22 DP gears are available for Boston gear. A I remember the bore and width are good. but the keyway, if needed is different.

Look for the 20 DP gears. These are only sold through distributers.
Some of the UK lathes use the same gears, If memory serves me, The Boxford  did.
A quick search using “Boxford Lathe Change Gears” got me here.

Good luck with your “New” old lathe
<405 gearing set up.pdf>

I have Included a link to Boston gear and the gearing arrangement chart from SB.
I was lucky enough to get mine off eBay, but it took 5 years of looking.

REMEMBER  20 DP not 18 DP.

On Sep 21, 2020, at 10:22 AM, Kit Maira <kit.maira@...> wrote:

Just bought my first South Bend lathe. It is marked South Bend Workshop Precision 9” with a 3’ bed. I am told it is a 405, manufactured in 1935. Unfortunately it is missing the reversing stud and gear, as will as most of the change gears. The only gears included are marked Turning Gear 1-5 and Compound Gear 105. I am also missing the reversing stud and gear. I would like to find these parts, without buying the wrong stuff through trial and error. Anyone have these parts for sale?

I was thinking that maybe the gears could be 3D printed as a last resort, but the patterns on Thingiverse are for the later 9” model. I don’t have a 3D printer anyway, but maybe could have them made if someone has done the work already.

In any case, thanks for having me, it is great that this resource exists.<B387A2DC-BB69-4873-A5D6-827BA8F5D21B.jpeg><32D772CD-48D7-402D-8001-789CF6C8B5C9.jpeg><E51401E1-7848-4EE3-A5B9-9FC3896C798B.jpeg><C472D207-DCBD-4D38-B66E-9FF81249076C.jpeg><1702AD4A-F4E6-47F7-871C-B5A63FDD1BCE.jpeg><ECBE2B29-8649-413C-BCD9-ACE7E0B1C2A8.jpeg><FA3AEA94-E059-4983-9AE1-B94497800F44.jpeg>

Jim B.

Jim B.

Jim B.

--
Jim B

Bill in OKC too

[...]

John Dammeyer

I'd suggest you clean it up and add a spindle sensor and X/Z drives and use LinuxCNC or MACH to automate it.  You can still do manual operations with a CNC controller.  If you don't want full automation then something like my Electronic Lead Screw will replace the gears.

I have my South Bend  Heavy 10LTumbler in neutral and the single lever gear box not engaged.  A single pulse per rev sensor on the spindle and a 2:1 belt drive from the 300 oz-in stepper motor to the lead screw.  Also a 1 HP VFD on the spindle with just manual knob for speed control.

Because my South Bend has a taper attachment I never bothered adding the cross slide for fully automatic turning and tapering.  And I haven't engaged the gears in over 5 years.  But again it depends on what you want to do with the lathe when you are done.

For example:

To create a new internal tapered pulley for my mill I first made a keyed arbor between centers.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyArbor.jpg

On that I turned a tapered hub with a 1.5mm thread that matched the clamping nut on the mill.  Metric thread on a 1942 imperial lathe.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/Arbour-2.jpg

Terribly porous casting.  Comes from only doing it once a year.  But the pulley blank fits perfectly on the arbor.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyBuild-2.jpg

Tool just clears the pulley blank for turning.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/SpindlePulleyBuild-1.jpg

Both spindle pulleys done without gears on the lathe.

http://www.autoartisans.com/mill/NewPulleys-1s.jpg

John Dammeyer

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"

Automation Artisans Inc.

http://www.autoartisans.com

[...]

Kit Maira

Edited

Just bought my first South Bend lathe. It is marked South Bend Workshop Precision 9” with a 3’ bed. I am told it is a 405, manufactured in 1935. Unfortunately it is missing the reversing stud and gear, as will as most of the change gears. The only gears included are marked Turning Gear 105 and Compound Gear 1-5. I am also missing the reversing stud and gear. I would like to find these parts, without buying the wrong stuff through trial and error. Anyone have these parts for sale?