From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Steven H via groups.io <stevesmachining@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 8:49 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 9A lever collet closer - spindle pin

Can’t help you with the collet closer. Will it hold round stock so you can turn the stock without the material moving in the collet? Milling creates lots of forces that perhaps your collet closer just can’t contend with trying to grip an end mill shank. You might want to try a Morse Taper shank end mill holder, drawbar, and a Weldon shank end mill. The Weldon shank end mill will have a flat on the shank that gets locked down by the set screw in the end mill holder. The drawbar can be as simple as a length of all thread, a flat washer and hex nut. LittleMachineShop.com sells MT shank end mill holders with drawbar shanks (tapped hole in the taper shank end of the holder). Good luck.

Bill in OKC too

I haven't bought anything from him, but he answers emails promptly. I asked if it was possible to get one of his mill heads with an R8 spindle. He said yes, and quoted a price, which I don't remember, and IIRC about 3 weeks to make it. Most of the stuff he sells is made on demand.  Shortly after I found a HF mini-mill for $350, and got that, but may still get a vertical head for my Atlas MF one of these days.

Bill in oKC

LAZARUS LONG (Robert A. Heinlein)

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 08:40:01 AM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

There is a guy online who sells Atlas and South Bend parts, some new reproductions. He has a 3c collet getup that is priced competitively with eBay and is brand new in manufacture. He also has an Atlas Mill reproduction vise, at relatively reasonable prices. Here is his landing page, just dig around. http://www.mymachineshop.net/default.asp

For those who have an Atlas mill, this guy makes a vertical milling attachment that is a copy of the original Atlas. I liked it and it looked to be decent quality. I no longer have an Atlas mill, but that head is supposedly adaptable to multiple models of horizontal mills from the 40s to the 60s and maybe more.

I think I bought some small parts from him and he shipped promptly.

Can’t help you with the collet closer. Will it hold round stock so you can turn the stock without the material moving in the collet? Milling creates lots of forces that perhaps your collet closer just can’t contend with trying to grip an end mill shank. You might want to try a Morse Taper shank end mill holder, drawbar, and a Weldon shank end mill. The Weldon shank end mill will have a flat on the shank that gets locked down by the set screw in the end mill holder. The drawbar can be as simple as a length of all thread, a flat washer and hex nut. LittleMachineShop.com sells MT shank end mill holders with drawbar shanks (tapped hole in the taper shank end of the holder). Good luck.

bristolfarmer

For those who are unaware, he is a tool and die maker. I sold an Atlas lathe to him and I believe him to be capable and trustworthy.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Larry Shaw

Steven for turning the collets seem to hold OK. Thanks for the tip about the set screw equipped MT end mill holders.

Larry Shaw

This is very helpful. The one difference I notice is your instruction sheet shows 2 knurled knobs (“L”
and “I”) whereas mine only has a single knurled knob.

Thanks!

Larry Shaw

Reposting but with the pics and correct spelling this time and a couple clarifications.
The collet sleeve (I was calling it “nosepiece” but this is SBL’s term) is shown below both with and without the thread protector ring installed. The collets fit the same with or without the thread protector ring installed. The
collet sleeve is a taper friction fit inside the spindle, no threads or pins in spindle to engage. No markings on the collet sleeve. I can’t get the collet sleeve in further even with a bit of persuasion from a dead blow hammer. Thanks for your comments!

Nick Jonkman

Larry

That is far enough. The thread protector is used to eject the sleeve.

Nick

On 20-07-01 2:03 PM, Larry Shaw wrote:
Reposting but with the pics and correct spelling this time and a couple clarifications.
The collet sleeve (I was calling it “nosepiece” but this is SBL’s term) is shown below both with and without the thread protector ring installed. The collets fit the same with or without the thread protector ring installed. The
collet sleeve is a taper friction fit inside the spindle, no threads or pins in spindle to engage. No markings on the collet sleeve. I can’t get the collet sleeve in further even with a bit of persuasion from a dead blow hammer. Thanks for your comments!

Larry Shaw

Further to Bill’s comments on the 4th photo, the 14th photo is a section through the headstock which shows the collet sleeve very close to the spindle.

Bill in OKC too

Mine are for a 10L so are unlikely to fit your 9A, but here's a photo of them. However, the steeltape may help you figure out if your closer is right for the headstock you have. May not help, either, as mine haven't been in the headstock on my lathe since I've had it. There is something in there blocking it from going through, though a light shines through.. I've found mud dauber wasps nests in other parts of the the lathe, as it spend about 5 years in an open and leaky barn before I got it. Not sure what it is yet as I haven't gotten to the headstock yet.

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 01:13:38 PM CDT, Larry Shaw <larry@...> wrote:

Further to Bill’s comments on the 4th photo, the 14th photo is a section through the headstock which shows the collet sleeve very close to the spindle.

Bob Kellermann

When I set my 10 k up very similar To 9  make sure there is a positive grip in the handle or else whatever you have in the Collett will slip under pressure check the split bronze bushing for the handle
Also after you adjust the collet take sure you tighten the Allen key in back wheel

On Jul 1, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Larry Shaw <larry@...> wrote:

Further to Bill’s comments on the 4th photo, the 14th photo is a section through the headstock which shows the collet sleeve very close to the spindle.

Louis

I have a similar closer for my Heavy 10 and where you have the pin, I have a key and keyway to allow the closer to slide off. My closer uses 5C collets with a front adapter.

Although I would be comfortable using my setup for milling, I would be very careful and take very light cuts. I agree with Steven. Milling generates a lot of pressure and vibration.

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

At last someone has asked the fundamental question below.  Why would you need to use a collet for holding a milling cutter?  I don't mill on the railway's 14.5" S/B because there is a proper milling machine there, but I do on my Myford ML7 at home, and that is perfectly happy with milling cutters in the 3 jaw chuck.  Happy enough to allow me to damage quite large cutters through carelessness without them shifting in the chuck.

Incidentally, the protrusion of the collet holder shown in the photos looks very similar to that on our lathe.

A proper milling collet system is quite a lot different from a lathe collet system, and so far as I know, invariably has screw thread tightening with a spanner of some sort in order to tighten the collet onto the cutter.

Eddie