From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of jchammonds@... <jchammonds@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 11:20 AM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Bill in OKC too

this book may be of help for you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maintenance-Manual-for-Vintage-South-Bend-Lathe-All-Models-9-thru-16/153837220516?hash=item23d169b2a4:g:cSYAAOSwqG1eW80C Rather than buying it to find out if it covers your machine, you can contact the seller and ask. Or if you don't use EBay, let me know and I'll ask for you. I've got a 1941 Heavy 10L, so can't tell you much about the 9" lathes. Last time I saw one of those was in 1973. I am planing on buying the book, though the info I'm looking for isn't what you need.

Have you talked to the South Bend folks at Grizzly?

HTH!

Bill in OKC

m. allan noah

There is no information to be found. It is just like the flat belt
models other than the v-belt pulleys.

allan

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 12:08 PM Bill in OKC too via groups.io
<wmrmeyers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

this book may be of help for you. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Maintenance-Manual-for-Vintage-South-Bend-Lathe-All-Models-9-thru-16/153837220516?hash=item23d169b2a4:g:cSYAAOSwqG1eW80C Rather than buying it to find out if it covers your machine, you can contact the seller and ask. Or if you don't use EBay, let me know and I'll ask for you. I've got a 1941 Heavy 10L, so can't tell you much about the 9" lathes. Last time I saw one of those was in 1973. I am planing on buying the book, though the info I'm looking for isn't what you need.

Have you talked to the South Bend folks at Grizzly?

HTH!

of my hand"

glenn brooks

John,  one interesting thing you can do is email or call Grizzly tools and purchase the original purchase card for your lathe.  They will send you a PDF of the card, showing date manufactured and delivered, also who it was purchased by.  Cost is $25.

Grizzly operates a separate business name of South Bend Lathes or similar. They responded to my request for a card in February in one day.

Glenn

On Apr 24, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

You are in luck, John.

We have a plethora of manuals in the files section and many of us have SB 9a lathes.

Check out the files section and if you don't find the stuff there, start asking questions. With everybody locked up in the house because of the virus, you should get answers pretty darn fast.

Welcome aboard

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Andrei

I contemplated buying that serial number card information for my lathe, but after seeing one of the cards, I decided that 25 bucks will buy me something more important, like beer or a hot dog. I did not find that information to be of any use other than trivia.

Of course, your mileage may vary and if that kind of information provides you joy, then, by all means, order the card.

My first post was just sent I have never posted on any groups before that post was sent as a poll it may not have been the correct procedure if so excuse me.
Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

carbure2003

I believe you have everything you need in that book

V belt pulley is an option for the standard SB lathes. It has more drive power than the original flat belt
It is exactly the same procedure in order to rebuild the machine. The only difference is the belt pulleys. Every other parts are identical

[...]

Actually, having that information can help you find the proper parts and tell you how your lathe was originally equipped. I'm a cheap SOB, and it was the first thing I bought after getting my 1941 Heavy 10 home. The next was a 5-gallon bucket of EvapoRust. Naturally, YMMV. ;)

Bill in OKC

Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM -0500, "Andrei" <calciu1@...> wrote:

[...]

comstock_friend

Speed chart for the V-belt 9" lathes is in HTRAL (at least my 56 edition).

Here is my $25 order card, should be similar to yours

comstock_friend

Well, I could read the chart before up loading to groups.io! Here, try page 23 of edition 55...

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=17726

John