Topics

Introduction/Information #poll

Hamm

Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

Results

See Who Responded

Steven H

Try www.wswells.com, www.vintagemachinery.org, and www.lathes.co.uk

Steve Haskell

On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, jchammonds@... wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Good day to you all, this is my first post since joining the group. The reason I joined the group is because I’m not having very good success at finding information on the particular lathe I have.

My South Bend lathe is a, Horizontal Model 9A 16 speed with v-belt drive, probably 1950’s vintage, I purchased a Full Rebuild Package from eBay/ By ILION Industrial Services which contained a Manual, Felts, Oil, and Grease for the 9” lathe.

The manual does not reference anything later than 1940’s models, primarily the V-Belt drive system.

Does anyone know where I can find information on this lathe? Catalog No. CL 744 A, S/N 49636 NAR 10.

Thanks,

John Hammonds

1. Don't Know
2. If I knew the answer I would not ask a question

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.

Andrei

John,

Your lathe is designated as such: 

CL = threaded spindle nose
no single digit after CL means it is a workshop lathe, not a toolroom lathe
744 = 9" Model A, 16-Speed, V-belt bench lathe, Horizontal Motor Drive (HMD) with full quick change gear mechanism
NAR meaning:
N = 9 inch
A = quick change gear
R = regular spindle hole, standard swing
1947 to 1968 production window
10 = model number (factory designation) that gets changed with model improvements. 

CE3455 = the parts list catalog for models A, B, and C

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Steven H via groups.io <stevesmachining@...>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 1:31 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Introduction/Information #poll

Try www.wswells.com, www.vintagemachinery.org, and www.lathes.co.uk

Steve Haskell

On Apr 24, 2020, at 11:31 AM, jchammonds@... wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Thanks,

John Hammonds

1. Don't Know
2. If I knew the answer I would not ask a question

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.