Topics

Old Machine restorations

John Milton <togger.me@...>

I have setup a new group.io page exclusively for sharing our restorations of old machines. Hopefully it will be filled with advice, tips, sources for hard to locate parts, identification of machinery or year and to showcase or document your work. Please consider joining as your experience will no doubt be invaluable.
Please also share with your friends and other like minded people.

https://groups.io/g/OldMachineRestorations

See you there and thank you

Guenther Paul

I have a 16" south bend that i bean working on for a while. I need to step up the process and get her done. I have one question about the finish on the main machine casting. When i stripped the paint some of the putty that was used came of.
Back years ago flour and shellac was used to get the casting smooth. I bean using light weight bondo but i have not stripped all the old stuff of. Will the bondo hold on the old stuff. I would like your input please. I do use the lathe only for bigger items

Roger Bickers

Guenther,  why not just lead it? Itll definitely take the temperature fluctuations better if your shop areas only heated part time in the winter.