From: "Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io" <stoeger666@...>
To: southbendlathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] How to
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 14:35:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hello all,

I hope everyone is staying well,

I have never had to pull the motor from my lathe before, but now I need to change the bearings. I have the V belts off, and the adjustment screw out, but how do i pull the motor and plate with out smashing my hand and/or a motor cradle of some sort? I see the pivot rod, which looks like I just push out, but how do i support the weight etc. If this is somewhere in the archives I am not seeing it, so excuse my question here.

Thank you,
Mark

Fred Flintstone

1943 13"

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020, 18:40:02 EEST, carbure2003 <guycad@...> wrote:

Which lathe model do you have?

I have never had to pull the motor from my lathe before, but now I need to change the bearings. I have the V belts off, and the adjustment screw out, but how do i pull the motor and plate with out smashing my hand and/or a motor cradle of some sort? I see the pivot rod, which looks like I just push out, but how do i support the weight etc. If this is somewhere in the archives I am not seeing it, so excuse my question here.

Thank you,
Mark

mike allen

            I don't know what lathe ya have , but on my 9A I just remove the belt & tension rod & lay the motor assembly back till it stops & then unbolt the motor

            animal

On 4/1/2020 7:35 AM, Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello all,

I hope everyone is staying well,

I have never had to pull the motor from my lathe before, but now I need to change the bearings. I have the V belts off, and the adjustment screw out, but how do i pull the motor and plate with out smashing my hand and/or a motor cradle of some sort? I see the pivot rod, which looks like I just push out, but how do i support the weight etc. If this is somewhere in the archives I am not seeing it, so excuse my question here.

Thank you,
Mark

Nathan Baynes

If it’s an underdrive with the motor hanging from above,  how about you tell us!!  It is a real bear!!  I just hung a 1 HP single phase in mine....  fingers and knuckles still hurt!!  But for my two cents, I had it propped on some wood scraps, then used a pair of motorcycle ratcheting tie down straps..  one at each end of the motor and up and around the spindle pulley and  then slowly tightened it up into position to get the bolts started through the mounting plate.....  worked pretty well and could probably be done in reverse...
Nate

On Apr 1, 2020, at 12:10 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

            I don't know what lathe ya have , but on my 9A I just remove the belt & tension rod & lay the motor assembly back till it stops & then unbolt the motor

            animal

On 4/1/2020 7:35 AM, Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello all,

I hope everyone is staying well,

I have never had to pull the motor from my lathe before, but now I need to change the bearings. I have the V belts off, and the adjustment screw out, but how do i pull the motor and plate with out smashing my hand and/or a motor cradle of some sort? I see the pivot rod, which looks like I just push out, but how do i support the weight etc. If this is somewhere in the archives I am not seeing it, so excuse my question here.

Thank you,
Mark

Fred Flintstone

tool room I believe, the motor is under and hangs upside down (base upwards) the motor is very large and heavy.

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020, 19:18:25 EEST, Nathan Baynes <natebaynes@...> wrote:

[...]

jahick4@...

Edited

Mark,
I literally just got done with this myself on my 10L. Had to do it twice, unfortunately because my new motor pulley didn’t align correctly. Fun, I assure you. Anyway, I believe it’s assembled the same way. First you want to support the motor - I used a couple of paving bricks on their side as U wasn’t concerned with the old motor’s looks - then undo the nut on the tensioning bolt on the front left of the motor plate. Others have mentioned using an automotive jack, but I found this to not work with the space I had. There is a single set screw holding the hinge pin in place. It’s on the left ear of the upper part of the assembly. Once that is removed the real fun begins.

You’ll want both side plates removed, and you’ll want to use a drift of some kind to drive the pin out. It’s an awkward angle, so you’ll likely end up having to switch to something thinner as it goes. If you’re lucky, it won’t put up much of a fight. In my case, I could only drive it through so far before I ran out of ability to reach the right side of the pin, so I took a thick shop rag and wrapped it around the pin and then used a pair of snap on pipe wrench pliers (pwz1) and spun it out. It worked well and didn’t mark the pin any.

I hope you find this helpful!

Resoectfully,

John

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

Actually it’s pretty simple. Take off both access plates on the cabinet.  With a cabinet mount, just loosen the tensioning bar on the right side of the mounting plate and drop the mount and plate down to the floor. Support with a 2x4 piece if necessary. Then snake in to the plate with a box end wrench and take out the mounting screws.

Hardest part for me was pulling the motor out of the cabinet.

Re install the new motor same way, drop the plate down to the motor, bolt it together, then pull up to reattach the belt.

Glenn

On Apr 1, 2020, at 9:34 AM, Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io <stoeger666@...> wrote:

[...]

carbure2003

On my 9A and 10K UMD I suspend the drive assembly to a ceiling beam with a small block and tackle, through a rope going through the belt path in the headstock and release the pivot bolts.  Then I use the tension on the rope IN order to move it around and get it out of the cabinet.