Oil help

Fred Flintstone

Hi all,

I hope you are staying well,

While I am at home and enjoying my lathe I am running low on oil, can some one tell me the European equivalent of the oils below?:

  South Bend Lathe "A" type oil, which is Mobile Velocite #10 spindle lubricant. This will be used in the headstock spindle
                        bearings.

  South Bend Lathe "B" type oil.  which is Mobil DTE 24 (ISO 32), which will be used in your gearbox.

  South Bend Lathe "C" type oil,  which is Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium (ISO 68), which will be used to lubricate "everything else".
                        (that would be screws, external gears, tailstock, etc.)

  South Bend Way Oil, which is Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil, which will be used to lubricate the sliding Way surfaces of the lathe,
                        (The ways, compound and cross slide).

Or if there is now better oil than those listed please let me know.

Thank you all in advance,
Stoeger

Christian Nafzger

Hi Stoeger,

I recently bought oil for my "new" Model A 9" lathe from a German shop.
Here is the order list with the respective letters (A-D, D for the way oil).

image.png

You can also look at the shop page for more info regarding the norms and specifications. E.g.: https://www.oeltech-apeler.de/product_info.php?info=p1536_avantol-bett--und-gleitbahnoel-cglp-iso-vg-68---1-litres.html
Its in German, but maybe this helps (you can switch to English, but then there is less information).

Cheers,
Chris

Am Mo., 23. März 2020 um 13:00 Uhr schrieb Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io <stoeger666=yahoo.com@groups.io>:

[...]

Colin Fera

ISO 68 and ISO 32 are hydraulic oils that are commonly sold at tractor shops. I’ve purchase all 3 oils in low volume from amazon.

On Mar 23, 2020, at 05:00, Fred Flintstone via Groups.Io <stoeger666@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you,

I will give it a shot.

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 4:41:25 PM GMT+2, Colin Fera <colin.fera@...> wrote:

[...]

John Dammeyer

Where does one buy those in Canada?

[...]

carbure2003

Spindle oil is specified as SAE10 non detergent oil. This can be found at Canadian tire

for ways oil I am currently using chain saw bar oil that have similar texture as ways oil seen on youtube. I use summer grade

From: "John Dammeyer" <johnd@...>
To: <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 08:59:40 -0700

[...]

engmaxx

Both SAE10 and SAE30 non-detergent oil can be readily purchased at Canadian Tire in 1 litre containers.  I mention the SAE30 because you will need SAE20 (SouthBend:  Type C oil) for most oil points outside of the spindle and countershaft.  You can either buy it as 3-in-1 oil for 1/4 hp motors in the little plastic bottle (available everywhere including Canadian Tire but expensive) or make it yourself.  To make it yourself, mix it in these ratios:  SAE30 at 65% with SAE10 at 35%.  Example:  to make 40 mL use 26 mL 30W and 14 mL 10W.  Note it is not a linear combination of oil weights which is why you cannot mix them 30W and 10W at 50/50 to get 20W.  Hope this helps.

mike allen

        I use hydraulic oil doe snow plow hydraulics

        animal