6” Sears

Payson

I came across a 6” Sears. I know they’re not very useful, but I’d like to set it up and offer if to someone wanting to learn how to make chips. Does anyone have, or know where theres a manual or pictures of one setup. I think a few things are missing on this drive. 

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Retired Gunsmith

Need photos. Even without a manual, most things can be figger'd out and made to work.

Thanx and Good Shootin'
Derrick Martin
ask_derrick@...

-----Original Message-----
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Oct 30, 2022 4:15 pm
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] 6” Sears

I came across a 6” Sears. I know they’re not very useful, but I’d like to set it up and offer if to someone wanting to learn how to make chips. Does anyone have, or know where theres a manual or pictures of one setup. I think a few things are missing on this drive. 
Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Retired Gunsmith

Does this look like your lathe?

Thanx and Good Shootin'
Derrick Martin
ask_derrick@...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Oct 30, 2022 4:15 pm

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Andrei

Ebay has a bunch of manuals.  Free ones at the atlas craftsman group. Overall, a crappy lathe, but better than none. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Payson <egreene104@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2022 7:15:19 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io>

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Steven Schlegel

Do you think that little Craftsman lathe is as good as or better than the cheap mini lathes are?

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Andrei <calciu1@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2022 4:27:20 PM
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] 6” Sears

Ebay has a bunch of manuals.  Free ones at the atlas craftsman group. Overall, a crappy lathe, but better than none. 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Payson <egreene104@...>

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Andrei

This is probably better and cheaper https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-7-x-12-mini-metal-lathe/g8688

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2022 8:33:59 PM

Do you think that little Craftsman lathe is as good as or better than the cheap mini lathes are?

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Andrei <calciu1@...>

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

ww_big_al

If you go to the Machinist Web BBB, there are a couple guys that know Atlas lathes well. One of them is Mondo. http://www.machinistweb.com/forum/

It’s a small group, but love to help.

Al

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Payson
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2022 7:15 PM

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Bill in OKC too

Depending on which machine it is, there is an Atlas-Craftsman group, and IIRC one for the AA-109 machines. Look for the model number on the lathe. If it's not a 109 it's probably an Sears-badged Atlas.

I wouldn't have a 6" Atlas or AA lathe as my only lathe, but I'd have sure bought one if it had been the first lathe I could find to buy. Any lathe is better than no lathe.

Bill in OKC 

William R. Meyers, MSgt, USAF(Ret.)

Aphorisms to live by:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. 
SEMPER GUMBY!
Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
Physics doesn't care about your schedule.
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 06:15:23 PM CDT, Payson <egreene104@...> wrote:

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Rick

My 1st lathe was a Craftsman/Atlas 6”.  It did a decent job, within its work envelope.  The biggest pain in the ass was the change gears. I gave it to my nephew when I got my SB9A.  A quick change gearbox is so much more convenient.  I also have a SB13 for bigger work, but I like to use the SB9 when I’m doing smaller stuff.

Bill in OKC too

Not as good. But as I've said before, any lathe is better than no lathe. The first lathe I was actually able to lay hands on was a HF 7x10 Mini-lathe. They are surprisingly good for the money. Problems I had with mine turned out to be all operator error. 

I would recommend getting one of the longer bed machines, if possible, but even if it needs a bit of work they're not a bad machine. Equipped with an ER32 collet chuck &/or 4-jaw chuck you can easily get .001" accuracy, and with good technique & measuring tools, can get to .0001" accuracy. 

It's a bit harder to do that on the Atlas & AA 6" lathes, but doable. They have a much smaller (and more flexible) spindle than the 7x Mini-lathes. The 7x spindle is pretty close in size to the Atlas/Craftsman 10" & 12" machines, and the SB 9 & lighter 10" machines. MT3 taper, and about 3/4"/19mm spindle bore, where the 6" Sears are MT 1 or 2, and about 1/2"/12.7mm spindle bore, or less. 

HTH!

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!
The only reason I know anything is because I've done it wrong enough times to START to know better

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 07:34:06 PM CDT, Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...> wrote:

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Bill in OKC too

Yep. Maybe a bit better fit & finish than the Harbour Freight version, too. Though you should be able to get the HF version without paying so much in shipping. Some folks want a lathe that works perfectly out of the box, some want one they can fiddle with to make it their vision of "perfect" and some just want something that works well enough. I'm up to 5 lathes now, though on was a hint from my brother that he wants me to make some stuff for him. :)

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 10:54:33 PM CDT, Andrei <calciu1@...> wrote:

This is probably better and cheaper https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-7-x-12-mini-metal-lathe/g8688

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> on behalf of Steven Schlegel <sc.schlegel@...>

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Ondrej Krejci <okrejci@...>

Hello,

Manuals can be found at http://vintagemachinery.org/ .

If parts are missing, it's up to you if you want to hunt for them.  Some new Atlas/Craftsman parts don't always have the right fit and some filing may be involved.

You can always wait for something better or complete.

Best of Luck,

OK

Mike Poore

Not sure by what you wrote if I am agreeing or disagreeing with you, but HF lathes are far from ready to use out of the box. At least that was the way it was 10 years ago when I bought mine. I have never used a 6" Sears, so I cannot comment on a comparison.

On 10/31/2022 3:16 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:

Yep. Maybe a bit better fit & finish than the Harbour Freight version, too. Though you should be able to get the HF version without paying so much in shipping. Some folks want a lathe that works perfectly out of the box, some want one they can fiddle with to make it their vision of "perfect" and some just want something that works well enough. I'm up to 5 lathes now, though on was a hint from my brother that he wants me to make some stuff for him. :)

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Bill in OKC too

I bought mine new in 2008, and it was, aside from cleaning it up with some WD-40 and rags, ready to go out of the box. It did take me several years & another class to figure it out, but as I said, that was me, not the lathe. Original 3-jaw chuck was accurate to within .003", and that's decent for a 3-jaw chuck. Headstock was aligned with the tailstock, too. :)

It was a bit more of a pot luck thing back then, but from what I've been reading they're a lot more consistently decent now. You can improve the odds a bit more buying from Micromark or Grizzly, or get quite a bit cheaper with a no-name machine from eBay. Those may not work at all, but some folks were happy with one...

If you really want something guaranteed ready out of the box it will cost you. Grizzly was selling their new version of the Heavy 10L for only about $10k not too long back. Their 7x12 is around $1000 including shipping. You can buy a lot of tooling for $9k. And they don't have all that much available specifically for the new 10L. 

My old 10L, vintage 1941, shipped with collet holder & taper attachment. 

If you're going to run a business you may just want to buy good stuff off the bat. For me it was a new hobby, and with very limited funding. I got the 7x10 new from HF with a 20% off coupon for $369 out the door. Then had to learn how to use it. Your path won't even resemble mine, most likely. 

I'd have taken a 6" Sears if I'd gotten a chance at one, but knew they weren't what I was going to need to do what I wanted. Nor was the 7x10, for that matter. :) Just figured I could learn on it, and get a better machine if I did well, and not too badly out of pocket if I didn't. Strictly speaking, my Atlas TH42 isn't, either, though it is closer.  The Heavy 10L might be what I need...

It's a serious restoration project, and I may not live long enough to finish it. We'll see.

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 05:13:31 PM CDT, Mike Poore <mpoore10@...> wrote:

Not sure by what you wrote if I am agreeing or disagreeing with you, but HF lathes are far from ready to use out of the box. At least that was the way it was 10 years ago when I bought mine. I have never used a 6" Sears, so I cannot comment on a comparison.

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

mike allen

These 7x lathes certainly have a much larger following & support , almost cult like

animal

On 10/30/2022 8:54 PM, Andrei wrote:

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

Mike Poore

Not my experience. The ways were too rough to fit the carriage tight enough to have a chance at avoiding chatter. Same with the cross slide and compound. No carriage lock, which I had to make. Added a cam lock to the tail. The carriage rack was crooked so some places it was too tight and other places too loose. Way too much backlash on all feed screws that needed to be fixed. I took a lot of sandpaper and shims to fix the above.

Regularly breaking plastic gears (probably doing more than the lathe was designed to do), but sometimes it was because the carriage was so loose that the cutter would get pulled into the work and lock up.

I could make good parts with it, but it took much longer than my SB9A. So many shallow passes. I recently sold it for more than I paid new. It did include extra tooling. I think they are around $700 now.

Starting with a better lathe would have dramatically cut down on my frustration learning. Is it me or the machine? Glad it is gone.

If that is all someone can afford or needs something small, then go for it. However, for the current price you can get a used SB9 at an auction that may come with tooling.

On 10/31/2022 7:49 PM, Bill in OKC too via groups.io wrote:

I bought mine new in 2008, and it was, aside from cleaning it up with some WD-40 and rags, ready to go out of the box. It did take me several years & another class to figure it out, but as I said, that was me, not the lathe. Original 3-jaw chuck was accurate to within .003", and that's decent for a 3-jaw chuck. Headstock was aligned with the tailstock, too. :)

It was a bit more of a pot luck thing back then, but from what I've been reading they're a lot more consistently decent now. You can improve the odds a bit more buying from Micromark or Grizzly, or get quite a bit cheaper with a no-name machine from eBay. Those may not work at all, but some folks were happy with one...

If you really want something guaranteed ready out of the box it will cost you. Grizzly was selling their new version of the Heavy 10L for only about $10k not too long back. Their 7x12 is around $1000 including shipping. You can buy a lot of tooling for $9k. And they don't have all that much available specifically for the new 10L. 

If you're going to run a business you may just want to buy good stuff off the bat. For me it was a new hobby, and with very limited funding. I got the 7x10 new from HF with a 20% off coupon for $369 out the door. Then had to learn how to use it. Your path won't even resemble mine, most likely. 

I'd have taken a 6" Sears if I'd gotten a chance at one, but knew they weren't what I was going to need to do what I wanted. Nor was the 7x10, for that matter. :) Just figured I could learn on it, and get a better machine if I did well, and not too badly out of pocket if I didn't. Strictly speaking, my Atlas TH42 isn't, either, though it is closer.  The Heavy 10L might be what I need...

It's a serious restoration project, and I may not live long enough to finish it. We'll see.

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 05:13:31 PM CDT, Mike Poore <mpoore10@...> wrote:

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

mike allen

I was just on the San Francisco CL & saw a 109 lathe for $ 400 & a South Bend for $ 500 . Remember the eggs in the frying pan , this is your brain , this is your brain on drugs ?

animal

On 10/31/2022 7:33 PM, Mike Poore wrote:

Not my experience. The ways were too rough to fit the carriage tight enough to have a chance at avoiding chatter. Same with the cross slide and compound. No carriage lock, which I had to make. Added a cam lock to the tail. The carriage rack was crooked so some places it was too tight and other places too loose. Way too much backlash on all feed screws that needed to be fixed. I took a lot of sandpaper and shims to fix the above.

Regularly breaking plastic gears (probably doing more than the lathe was designed to do), but sometimes it was because the carriage was so loose that the cutter would get pulled into the work and lock up.

I could make good parts with it, but it took much longer than my SB9A. So many shallow passes. I recently sold it for more than I paid new. It did include extra tooling. I think they are around $700 now.

Starting with a better lathe would have dramatically cut down on my frustration learning. Is it me or the machine? Glad it is gone.

If that is all someone can afford or needs something small, then go for it. However, for the current price you can get a used SB9 at an auction that may come with tooling.

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

wmrmeyers@gmail.com

And South Bend, Atlas, Craftsman, Logan, et cetera, don't? Silly person! 

Likewise Monarch, Le Blonde, Hass, and nearly any other brand. Folks like them because they can do neat stuff on them. And you can do much the same sorts of things on an Atlas or a Monarch or any other brand of lathe. A new Monarch is upwards of $100k. Under $1k for one of the cheaper Asian imports. No way in heaven or hell could I justify buying a Monarch new. That would not be a problem for some other folks, and there's no good reason for them to limit themselves to what I can maybe afford. 

I would have much preferred a good South Bend lathe, that being what I first learned on back in high school. I'd also really like a 13" Clausing Colchester, as I used in the more recent class I took. Even found one for sale not too far from home, for only $6900. Only problem is that all the tools I own don't amount to that! Could not get that past the finance committee. She didn't even twitch at the little HF Mini-lathe, though. And when my friend Bill Hinkle offered to sell me his Heavy 10L, she told him I couldn't buy it. She bought it for my Christmas present that year, for $950.

Mike had a bad experience with his Mini-lathe, but a lot of folks have had good experiences of them. Me included. Some guys did a bunch of work on theirs to make it right. And it still won't be a Monarch. Or even a South Bend. But quite a few folks have found them a very affordable gateway into machining. It took me, IIRC, 35 years to find my first lathe, the 7xmini, and 48 years to find the South Bend. 

I really didn't want to wait that long! Your mileage may vary, as they say. 

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 08:43:40 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

These 7x lathes certainly have a much larger following & support , almost cult like

animal

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

wmrmeyers@gmail.com

I think that would be a no-brainer, for the first guy, anyway. :)

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 11:28:58 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

I was just on the San Francisco CL & saw a 109 lathe for $ 400 & a South Bend for $ 500 . Remember the eggs in the frying pan , this is your brain , this is your brain on drugs ?

animal

On 10/31/2022 7:33 PM, Mike Poore wrote:

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

Thanks very much,

Payson. 

mike allen

time to take the cans to the recycling center , there's a few Clausings there too % 1500 - 3.500

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/7532354484.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/7546339209.html

animal

On 11/1/2022 12:23 PM, wmrmeyers@... wrote:

And South Bend, Atlas, Craftsman, Logan, et cetera, don't? Silly person! 

Likewise Monarch, Le Blonde, Hass, and nearly any other brand. Folks like them because they can do neat stuff on them. And you can do much the same sorts of things on an Atlas or a Monarch or any other brand of lathe. A new Monarch is upwards of $100k. Under $1k for one of the cheaper Asian imports. No way in heaven or hell could I justify buying a Monarch new. That would not be a problem for some other folks, and there's no good reason for them to limit themselves to what I can maybe afford. 

I would have much preferred a good South Bend lathe, that being what I first learned on back in high school. I'd also really like a 13" Clausing Colchester, as I used in the more recent class I took. Even found one for sale not too far from home, for only $6900. Only problem is that all the tools I own don't amount to that! Could not get that past the finance committee. She didn't even twitch at the little HF Mini-lathe, though. And when my friend Bill Hinkle offered to sell me his Heavy 10L, she told him I couldn't buy it. She bought it for my Christmas present that year, for $950.

Mike had a bad experience with his Mini-lathe, but a lot of folks have had good experiences of them. Me included. Some guys did a bunch of work on theirs to make it right. And it still won't be a Monarch. Or even a South Bend. But quite a few folks have found them a very affordable gateway into machining. It took me, IIRC, 35 years to find my first lathe, the 7xmini, and 48 years to find the South Bend. 

I really didn't want to wait that long! Your mileage may vary, as they say. 

Bill in OKC 

Aphorisms to live by:
SEMPER GUMBY!

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 08:43:40 PM CDT, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

animal

Thanks very much,

Payson.