Topics

SB9 Lathe Cross Slide Handle Needed

Rick Kruger

Greetings,

I am looking for a cross slide handle for a SB9" lathe, or something very similar that would fit and work.  Lathe is a 1923 era SB9 with quick change gear box, with the single lever, dog clutch box.  I do not have reference material to look up a part number.

The lathe belongs to a friend, but I helped him buy it and I assisted on an earlier repair of the carriage feed gearing.  I just completed repairing the cross slide screw, which broke.  In the doing, I converted it to large dial (100 grad.) using a large dial assembly I had taking up space on my shelves from long ago when I had a SB9A in much need of repair.  I installed two sets of thrust bearings and a deep groove ball bearing.  No backlash in this assembly. The handle that has gone missing is shown.
https://vimeo.com/378442413
https://vimeo.com/378719550

So, my friend and I live 2000 miles apart.  He shipped his saddle and CS with all the parts to me, sans the CS nut.  I did the repairs and just shipped it all back to him, using his packing materials.  Priority Mail.  He received it today.  The box had come open during shipment and the handle is now missing.  He is going to try the compound handle to see if that is an interim fix.  Even so, that handle will have to be replaced.

My guess is a handle from a different model of SB lathe, even larger or smaller, may work.  Through hole is 1/4" ID with a 1/8" keyway with a round key/pin.  I'll work out any key/pin issues.

Thanks,

Rick

Steve Yasgur

Cheri says, “ Good JOB!”

S.

Stevan S. Yasgur
Suite 550
3300 Edinborough Way
Edina, MN. 55435
(952) 893-9393

NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it. This email is not, nor shall it be deemed to be, legal advice or counsel, unless the recipient already has an attorney-client relationship with the firm or me. This email does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Thank you.

On Dec 18, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick <CS Handle 12-18-19.jpg>

Rick Kruger

The lathe under repair has been posted about here previously.  It belongs to Steve.  Please include him in any responses, especially PMs, as I will just have to forward them otherwise:

steve@...

Thanks,

Rick

mike allen

                ya have any more extra large dial's sittin on yer shelf ?

        animal

On 12/18/2019 12:38 PM, Rick Kruger wrote:
[...]

Steven H

I don’t have any spare ball crank handles. Hopefully you will find one. Some suggested places to look would be eBay, and if you Google ‘ball crank handles’ you will also find possible sources such as Wholesale Tool Co (www.wttool.com) and J.W. Winco (www.jwwinco.com). A ball crank handle from an Atlas lathe might also be retrofitted (check eBay), but Atlas handles are chrome plated ZAMAK alloy instead of steel like on a South Bend. Good luck.

Steve Haskell

On Dec 18, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

[...]

m. allan noah

Make one. Clamp the cross slide gib screws, infeed with the compound.

allan

On Dec 18, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Rick Kruger <krugerr@easystreet.net> wrote:

[...]

of my hand"

Guenther Paul

I may have a broken hand wheel with the handle still in it. If not i suggest make one. I will go to my shop and look hang on i will be back

GP

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 5:47:00 PM EST, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

[...]

If you shipped with USPS there is a $ 200.00 standard no cost insurance on the package, you may get some money back if still have the shipping receipt

[...]

I have a broken hand wheel from a craftsman and also a complete handle from a 10" S.B.  Did you ask the member in South Bend, Ind  that used to work for S.B. lathe, he has a lot of parts. Also you mat try Mr Concrete here with this group. He had a small junk lathe  may have bean a S.B. Be careful with him he thinks his parts are gold plated

[...]

Roger Bickers

Contact latheman for a handle.