Topics

Hand lever turret tailstock

George Meinschein

Ladies & Gentlemen!
There's a 10K hand lever turret tailstock available that I can probably pick up in my travels. This is NOT the bed turret!  It looks like a pretty regular tailstock except for the hand lever and the six hole turret head mounted on the end of the spindle.  Anyone think this is more useful than a regular old tailstock?  Is it basically for production applications?  Will it accept a center or would it need to be removed and replaced with a regular old tailstock to use a center?  I'm not sure if I should be excited because I found a rare jewel that's worth its weight in gold or disappointed because it's just a rare piece of junk.  Thoughts and comments please!

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500

Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

Nelson Collar

George
I do not see any reason a center could be placed in the turret for normal cutting between centers.
My opinion though.
Nelson

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 06:32:02 PM CDT, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

[...]

mike allen

        ya can get those turret's that have a MT that will fit in yer tailstock

        animal

On 7/10/2019 4:31 PM, George Meinschein wrote:
[...]

Jim_B

I have seen one or two but I have never used one. It’s very useful for production.
I believe the positions have SHORT MT id’s.
You could set it up with a stop first,   to set the amount of stock sticking out of the collet. Then a center drill. Then a drill then counter bore or counter sink
Those along with multiple bed stops would almost automate the work.
It should take a center but they, as I remember, are very short and may need to be shop made or modified standard ones.

-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

Steven H

Yes, you can install a solid center in one of the spots. I suppose you could modify a ball bearing center and mount that also. And yes, the idea behind a turret is for making multiple parts. Be nice to have if “the price is right”.

You can also purchase a “revolving tailstock turret” with a Morse taper shank that will fit in a standard tailstock, see www.shars.com #202-5500.

Steve Haskell

[...]

Ondrej Krejci

Howdy,

Any turret set-up is for production:  in this case, spot or centre drill, centre and turn or drill, tap or stab, ream, c´bore, etc..  Setting up the stops takes time which favours a larger part count instead of onesie-twoies work.
May be for collectability, because of rarity, it could be worth something, otherwise, SB lathes not being much for high production, it´s more of a small boat anchor and not worth fitting to a different lathe.

OK

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 07:59:18 PM EDT, Steven H via Groups.Io <stevesmachining@...> wrote:

[...]

vtsblogan@...

It is a very useful tool to have if you have a need for it. A lot of the responders are confusing it with the bed turret. I have both- but I use them to manufacture parts for my business, and this particular tailstock is set up for drilling, which it is perfect for. It has a little over a 4" throw.

It does not replace the standard tailstock. Yes, you can put a center in it, but it is inferior to the standard tailstock for this, and the standard tailstock is better for precision short drilling.

The stops are VERY easy to set on this unit. And is VASTLY better than those turrets that go in the standard M.T. tailstock.

It is a light duty unit compared to the bed turret.

My main use involves using it in conjunction with a collet stop. Stock is .020 longer than finished piece. put in collet against stop, then using the  turret it is center drilled, drilled -3 1/2" deep thru hole, then counterbored 1" deep with a larger drill, and faced to finish size with the power crossfeed. You can see how much time is saved verses using the standard 10K tailstock where just drilling the thru hole requires at least 3 setups.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:31:43 -0400, "George Meinschein" wrote:

[...]

Soooo, I brought home a 10K yesterday, not just the hand lever turret tailstock. 4.5 foot bed.  QCGB.  UMD. South Bend chip pan metal bench with 3 drawers. 3 jaw Chuck. Faceplate.  Regular tailstock included. FIMS Model 3 QC triple tool post. South Bend 6K collets from 1/16 to 5/8 in 1/32 steps and drawbar. A couple Jacobs drill chucks and some miscellaneous tooling. S/N 32409KKX.  That makes it around 1974 I think. Machine almost looks like it was never used.  Took me about 2 hours to break it down into pieces I could manage (hand truck for the bench with the drive still inside), lug it up 5 basement stairs, and load it all into the back of my SUV.  Absolutely no idea of its history as the guy I bought it from is a house flipper and this was left in the house by the previous owner. No injuries incurred and no damage to lathe or vehicle during the move.  $500 for everything I got.  I'M A HAPPY CAMPER!
-George

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, 10:59 AM <vtsblogan@...> wrote:
[...]

Congrats. Post some photos once you get the lathe set up.

Steve Haskell

On Jul 13, 2019, at 10:38 AM, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill in OKC too

Lucky rat fink! ;)

Sheer jealousy, I'm afraid. I finally got my SB last year, after 45 years of looking for one, and missing several. Mine needs some TLC and a bit of rust removal, but it's a 10L with regular and turret tailstocks, Morse taper adapter, taper attachment, two 5-C collet closers, but only four collets, 3 jaw chuck, and only two of the three drawers. I paid about twice what you did, for the same length bed, though I believe yours doesn't have the 1-3/8" spindle through hole.

I really have to clean up my shop before I can do any more on the 10L. And make a tank I can sink the bed in to derust it. Not today, unfortunately.

Bill in OKC

On Saturday, July 13, 2019, 9:38:21 AM CDT, George Meinschein <bustedguns@...> wrote:

[...]

John Dammeyer

I love my Heavy 10L, even with the worn bed. I replaced the single phase motor with a 3 phase and a VFD and the belt with a mig wire sewn multi-ribbed belt. With the gearbox levers set so none of the gears turn it's very quiet. Don't miss the noisy gears. Stepper motor on the lead screw driving from the RHS with a 2:1 belt reduction. Haven't gotten around to adding a second motor to the cross slide. So no automatic threading yet.

John Dammeyer
http://www.autoartisans.com

[...]

The 10K is destined for my basement. 14.5 toolroom machine stays in the garage.  I've also managed to collect 9B, 9C, and half of a 9A HMDs. After so many "This is a once in a lifetime deal" finds, I had to sell the idea that the 10K with the 3 drawers will allow me to organize MY side of the basement a little better. Yeah, right. Got to maintain domestic tranquility or all is for naught!

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, 12:08 PM John Dammeyer <johnd@...> wrote:
[...]

Payson

I think my 10K, on the SB cabinet, cost me $600 over 30 yrs ago. Nice job. I wish the Fims was still made. I could use a few holders.

Payson.