Topics

SBL in WW II?

Stephen Bartlett

I just received this in a large collection of Jeep photos from World War II.

It might be a south Bend mounted on the back of the Jeep.

Steve Bartlett

Carl Bukowsky

Steve,

That photo has been around the forums for awhile, and it’s been determined it’s not a SB Lathe. Yes, interesting and I’m sure that just one of many transportable lathes that were in the frontlines. Others have posted images of lathes in the back of big trucks, along with other machines for working in combat. Where there’s a will they figured a way to hitter done! Thanks for the photo! Carl
Sent by my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Stephen Bartlett via Groups.Io <tower.op=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I just received this in a large collection of Jeep photos from World War II.

It might be a south Bend mounted on the back of the Jeep.

Steve Bartlett

<SouthBendJeep.jpg>

m. allan noah

Yeah, someone posts this image every few months, and it is still not a
south bend :)

allan

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 9:28 AM Stephen Bartlett via Groups.Io
<tower.op=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I just received this in a large collection of Jeep photos from World War II.

It might be a south Bend mounted on the back of the Jeep.

Steve Bartlett

of my hand"

Carl Bukowsky

Dumb smartphone ...leave my “gitter done” alone!

Sent by my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2019, at 9:18 AM, Carl W Bukowsky <cwbukows@...> wrote:

Steve,

That photo has been around the forums for awhile, and it’s been determined it’s not a SB Lathe. Yes, interesting and I’m sure that just one of many transportable lathes that were in the frontlines. Others have posted images of lathes in the back of big trucks, along with other machines for working in combat. Where there’s a will they figured a way to hitter done! Thanks for the photo! Carl
Sent by my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Stephen Bartlett via Groups.Io <tower.op=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I just received this in a large collection of Jeep photos from World War II.

It might be a south Bend mounted on the back of the Jeep.

Steve Bartlett

<SouthBendJeep.jpg>

Paolo Amedeo

Given the low resolution it's hard to see. I believe it has flat ways and, to me, it looks like a typical British small gap-bed lathe. The foot under the headstock should be a distinctive feature for anybody familiar with British lathes.

Paolo

On 4/5/2019 09:27, Stephen Bartlett via Groups.Io wrote:
I just received this in a large collection of Jeep photos from World War II.

It might be a south Bend mounted on the back of the Jeep.

Steve Bartlett

glenn brooks

What is interesting is that the unit insignia on the Jeep means this service man was assigned to the 4th Australian armored brigade , and the photo was taken between mid summer, 1944 and sometime early 1945, somewhere in Australia.

I tried several times to extract background imagery from the photo to determine location, but was never able to discern if palms or trees or whether beach or desert landscape due to the vagueness of the overexposed digital image. If someone contacted one of the regimental war museums connected to the brigade it might be possible to learn what kind of lathe it is, and where the photo was taken.

Glenn B.