Topics

Best way to sell an entire hobby machine shop?

John Gallo

Hi, this is a little off topic, but it does involve a South Bend lathe so here goes. I am getting on in years and no longer spend much time in my garage shop. I would like some advice on how to sell every thing. I don't like the idea of listing every tool and piece of equipment individually on e-bay because of the volume of it all.

The large machines I have are a South Bend 9A with taper attachment in almost perfect condition. There is a Bridgeport J head mill in excellent condition. Also a Walker Turner metal cutting band saw that is in good shape. These machines have a great quantity of tooling that is in new to excellent condition. Along with this are the usual measuring devices, also in great condition.

I was hoping some one else has been through this and can help me make some decisions. I'm not looking to get rich here, but would like to get a fair price.

I am not a lazy man, but the shear volume of individual listings would be daunting. Thanks in advance for any advice. John

Daughty

john shoot me a message I might be interested in some of your stuff.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 9:56 AM John Gallo via Groups.Io <johnnyblock1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

idaflies2

---- "John Gallo via Groups.Io" <johnnyblock1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi, this is a little off topic, but it does involve a South Bend lathe so here goes. I am getting on in years and no longer spend much time in my garage shop. I would like some advice on how to sell every thing. I don't like the idea of listing every tool and piece of equipment individually on e-bay because of the volume of it all.

The large machines I have are a South Bend 9A with taper attachment in almost perfect condition. There is a Bridgeport J head mill in excellent condition. Also a Walker Turner metal cutting band saw that is in good shape. These machines have a great quantity of tooling that is in new to excellent condition. Along with this are the usual measuring devices, also in great condition.
Hi Where is your shop located?
I was hoping some one else has been through this and can help me make some decisions. I'm not looking to get rich here, but would like to get a fair price.

I am not a lazy man, but the shear volume of individual listings would be daunting. Thanks in advance for any advice. John

Brian Geffre

Where do you live?  Maybe that could help.

In amore Christi
Brian Geffre

On Sep 20, 2018, at 10:05, idaflies2 <johnbodyman@...> wrote:

---- "John Gallo via Groups.Io" <johnnyblock1@...> wrote:
[...]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by replying to this e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of this e-mail message.

Jasper McConnell

Pictures would be helpful.

[...]

I live in Pine Bush, NY.

John Gallo

Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John.

Rogan Creswick

I've seen a few small shops go via auction, that might be an option, but I don't know that you would get a very good price.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 AM John Gallo via Groups.Io <johnnyblock1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John.

wayne rust

I'm in Northeast Indiana so your area may be different but I have seen many small shops here sell at auction. In general, I think sellers get an excellent price. I have attended many of these auctions in the hopes to get a deal and I rarely see anything sell for less than what it's worth.

I personally have grouped some of my excess inventory in with another auction selling similar stuff and got much more than what I would have had I sold it myself. I sold a shaper for $1400 that I had bought just months before from a private seller for $600. I wouldn't have asked near $1400 had I been selling it myself. I sold a tray of dull nearly junk cutters for $75. I didn't pay that much new. Gathering 100 people together at once made more sense to me than meeting 20 people individually.

john kling

On Thursday, September 20, 2018, 11:51:29 AM EDT, Rogan Creswick <creswick@...> wrote:

I've seen a few small shops go via auction, that might be an option, but I don't know that you would get a very good price.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 AM John Gallo via Groups.Io <johnnyblock1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John.

Guenther Paul

Where are you located
GP

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:31 PM, john kling via Groups.Io <jkling222@...> wrote:

On Thursday, September 20, 2018, 11:51:29 AM EDT, Rogan Creswick <creswick@...> wrote:

I've seen a few small shops go via auction, that might be an option, but I don't know that you would get a very good price.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 AM John Gallo via Groups.Io <johnnyblock1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John.

John Gallo

I am located in Pine Bush,NY 12566

dwshelf

Regarding wholesale vs retail.

The hardest thing to do for most people in this situation to to correctly value the effort and skill of one willing to buy a large lot of stuff.

That person is taking on all responsibility for the stuff which doesn't quite work, stuff which isn't original, etc.  That person takes all the risk, and needs to have an expected reward.

It's tempting to think to yourself, "I could sell this stuff for $10,000, therefore, surely it's worth $7,000 wholesale".

What looks like $10,000 is not worth $7,000 wholesale.  It might or might not be worth $2,000 wholesale.

If you price the collection right, someone will buy it, and they'll sweep the floor when they have it loaded, but the price will likely seem very low.

Generally, if you are willing and able to retail the stuff yourself over time, you can expect to get 2-5x as much as if you try to sell it all at once.

dw.  Past wholesale buyer and seller.

glenn brooks

Take pictures and list everything on Craigslist. One add, list of everything you want to sell.

On Sep 20, 2018, at 10:37 AM, dwshelf via Groups.Io <dwshelf@...> wrote:

[...]

Pete Pressley

I would be tempted to list the more valuable, larger items on CL with good descriptions and fair prices.   CL is better for items that are hard to ship.

The folks that buy your big items (lathe, band saw, ) are likely interested in the smaller associated items.  Have those available and priced out for when someone comes to look at the big items.

Expensive, small items are perfect for ebay.  Perhaps someone on this list would manage the ebay side in trade for some of the items?

My experience with auctions is that you do not get good prices for your items.

Pete

Jim_B

Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John. “

_._,_._,_

I you are a member with  posting privileges, and you are running a windows computer, you will USUALLY see the members actual email address as part of the POSTING HEADER header.

John Gallo’s address seems to have been changed or corrupted.

Everyone else’s seem to be OK

Now I don’t find this to be true on my iphone or my MAC.

Although, on the MAC some replies contain the previous senders email address.

This is true on my Windows

Jim B.

Jim B

glenn brooks

John,  look at the bottom of the members message. Should be a link that says “Reply To Sender”.  If you click'on this, it should open an email page with the members email address at the top. You should be good to go.

Glenn

On Sep 20, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

Could some one show me how to send a private message to a group member. Thanks, John. “

John Gallo

Unfortunately I only see reply to group. What am I missing? John

Jim Schaffroth

If you wait another year, all the people who normally buy new machines will be looking for used because the tariffs will make new products out of reach. Otherwise auction is the quickest. A guy I work with sold his shop at auction.

To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2018, 9:56 AM

[...]

John,  I use an iPad so maybe the screen is different in Apple products.

Here is another way.

 Go to groups.io and open the SB Group.

Select the message you want to reply to.

When this message opens, look on the bottom far right side of the message block. You should see a button that says “private”.

Click the private button. It will open an email addressed individually to the member you want to contact.  Type message and send.

Cheers,
Glenn