Topics

ADV: Re: ADV: Re: [SouthBendLathe] StateCollage Crosslide

mike allen

that would be great ED , any new info is good info

        animal

On 5/28/2018 5:13 AM, Flash Gordon wrote:
A lot of machining. Surface the whole thing, mills the slots, drill and mill the hole for the tool holder and more. I used an a very large vertical mill at school. Took many days. There is a step by step instruction with pictures that I followed. I can look up the site if anyone is interested.

Ed S

On 5/27/2018 10:16 PM, mike allen wrote:
that's kinda what I was thinkin , I only have a Mill/Drill & I don't think I have the travel . may have to call in a favor somewhere

        animal

On 5/27/2018 7:10 PM, Jim_B wrote:
I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On May 27, 2018, at 10:00 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

         has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from StateCollage?  How much machining was required?

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

         tks

         animal

Flash Gordon

On 5/27/2018 7:10 PM, Jim_B wrote:
I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On May 27, 2018, at 10:00 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

         has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from StateCollage?  How much machining was required?

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

         tks

         animal

Guenther Paul

 Flash  is that your mill/drill on the picture.  am surprised they let you post that on practical machinist . They don't like machines like that there
GP

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:58 AM, Flash Gordon <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

Here is how i did it:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/machining-t-slotted-cross-slide-177054/

EdS

On 5/28/2018 1:37 PM, mike allen wrote:
> that would be great ED , any new info is good info
>
>         animal
>

> On 5/28/2018 5:13 AM, Flash Gordon wrote:
>> A lot of machining. Surface the whole thing, mills the slots, drill
>> and mill the hole for the tool holder and more. I used an a very
>> large vertical mill at school. Took many days. There is a step by
>> step instruction with pictures that I followed. I can look up the
>> site if anyone is interested.
>>
>> Ed S
>>

>> On 5/27/2018 10:16 PM, mike allen wrote:
>>> that's kinda what I was thinkin , I only have a Mill/Drill & I don't
>>> think I have the travel . may have to call in a favor somewhere
>>>
>>>         animal

m. allan noah

I'm thinking that Ed is indicating he did things the same way as Paula
did, not that he is Paula :)

allan

On 5/27/2018 7:10 PM, Jim_B wrote:
I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel
of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface
and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

On May 27, 2018, at 10:00 PM, mike allen <animal@...> wrote:

has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from
StateCollage? How much machining was required?

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

tks

animal

of my hand"

Flash Gordon

No that is not my mill. That procedure was done by a rather well know lady "Paula" who does pretty much what she wants to do. I just followed that step by step on a bigger vertical mill at school. I have the gib spreader clamps if anyone wants to borrow them. They have been around the world.

I bought all the tooling on e-bay and it is for sale if anyone else wants to try hte job.

That is a very old post.  2005

Ed S

On 5/29/2018 7:09 AM, Guenther Paul wrote:

 Flash  is that your mill/drill on the picture.  am surprised they let you post that on practical machinist . They don't like machines like that there
GP

Flash Gordon

Hi Allan,

Is Paula still posting? She always did an excellent job. I  had to stop working do to health reasons. I only follow SB lathe for entertainment. I am slowly selling stuff off.

Ed  S

On 5/29/2018 8:00 AM, m. allan noah wrote:
I'm thinking that Ed is indicating he did things the same way as Paula
did, not that he is Paula :)

allan

klewan70@...

That's one of the rare females posting to a machining forum; of course she can use and post about any machine she wants. Guys, not so much. They have to use and post about genuine 'merikan iron; no asian allowed. lol.