Topics

StateCollage Crosslide

mike allen

has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from StateCollage?  How much machining was required?

        http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

        tks

        animal

Jim_B

I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

Ray De Jong

I did mine on a, you might say Rong Foo 45. The dovetails were quite straight forward but did take time. The top and T-slots were done in one setup after very intensive 'square checking' and only after the dovetails were complete. Its a bit of a challenge but what a lovely edition to the '9'. I no longer have the SB9 nor the Chinese Mill. but am working toward a new shop and hope to do another S-4382 for the 10K I am presently refurbishing

On Sunday, May 27, 2018, 7:10:54 PM PDT, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:

I always wanted one. I had a Burke #4 mill. It had a table travel of 9”.
You need 12 or more.
You need to mill the V groves for the ways and mill the top surface and size the bore for the top slide.
Not trivial.
Need something like a Bridgeport.

-8
Jim B,

--
Jim B

jdunbar_4

I have one, it was a great project and nice add to the lathe. It is a rough casting and requires squaring it up, cutting the dovetails, tslots, boring the hole for the compound slide and drill/tapping the set screws.

Thanks

John

On May 27, 2018, at 10:00 PM, mike allen <animal@psln.com> wrote:

has anyone gotten 1 of the cross slide casting kits from StateCollage? How much machining was required?

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html

tks

animal

Flash Gordon

I have a state college cross slide for sale that is 95% complete. Needs the side lock holes drilled and tapped.

Ed S