Topics

Drive belt queston

Dave Robbins
 

Hi Folks,

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

Thanks 
Dave

stigallben
 

It can be added later

Doug Herzberg
 

I've heard it called a zipper.  You just pull the pin and thread the belt through.  Much easier than disassembling the headstock.


On 5/25/2018 4:07 PM, Dave Robbins wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

Thanks 
Dave

Dave Robbins
 

Thanks Guys,

I dreaded the idea of putting everything together just to measure the required length only to have to take it back apart
I'm looking at belts on ebay, any better sources?

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Doug Herzberg <herzberg.doug@...> wrote:

I've heard it called a zipper.  You just pull the pin and thread the belt through.  Much easier than disassembling the headstock.


On 5/25/2018 4:07 PM, Dave Robbins wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

Thanks 
Dave


john kahrs
 

There is some talk of getting an automotive serpentine belt and using the smooth side with the ribbed side facing out. But.... if were it me, I'd try McMaster Carr part no. 6082K12
I haven't ordered this item from them myself, but it's the first place I'd go if I was doing this. That fact that you have the spindle out (yes?) is a bonus because you can install a seamless belt then put the headstock together. Unless you want the legit vintage tic tic tic of the old style hog ring belt:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#leather-belts/=1d00liw
https://www.mcmaster.com/#hog-ring-pliers/=1d00l9i

Length depends on your countershaft distance. The belt on my own 9A is 1" wide and 48" long.


Good luck.

jk

Dave Robbins
 

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 03:24 pm, john kahrs wrote:
the belt that came with the lathe was stitched together with shoestrings
I'd like to upgrade from that ;-)

Marti
 

I used a 455K6 - works great $6 on ebay,  Measure your length, the 1st 3 digits are the length, 445 = 44.5" long

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mileage-Maker-455K6MK-Multi-V-Groove-Belt/381399770405?epid=137036960&hash=item58cd32a525:g:IpAAAOSwhQhY58AB

Guenther Paul
 

I call them eagle claws once you remove them the splice claws they can not be reused it takes a belt splicing fixture to reinstall the claws. There are hammer in claws but good luck in finding them. If you need to install new claws I have a splicing fixture or tool. If you are close I will install a new splice for you where are you ? I am in SW Michigan  
GP


On Friday, May 25, 2018 6:32 PM, Dave Robbins <dmrobbin@...> wrote:


On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 03:24 pm, john kahrs wrote:
the belt that came with the lathe was stitched together with shoestrings
I'd like to upgrade from that ;-)


Dave Robbins
 

Guenther Paul, you're telling me something different, other folks say I can disassemble the belt to install
this is what I'm talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-or-Atlas-Lathe-flat-drive-belt-custom-cut/370478021459?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D19e19dd2ac734aed931c0d17fa1f96ab%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D370503484980%26itm%3D370478021459&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940

Guenther Paul
 

Doug yes you can pull the splice pin to install the belt on the lathe. Do you have a new splice rod. I miss understood your other post 
GP


On Friday, May 25, 2018 6:54 PM, Dave Robbins <dmrobbin@...> wrote:


Guenther Paul, you're telling me something different, other folks say I can disassemble the belt to install
this is what I'm talking about

https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-or-Atlas-Lathe-flat-drive-belt-custom-cut/370478021459?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3D19e19dd2ac734aed931c0d17fa1f96ab%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D370503484980%26itm%3D370478021459&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940


Jim_B
 

You should really look into a multi-grove belt.

They are quieter, and deliver more power to the Lathe. And they do not need to be relaxed.

At this stage, you can slip it over the spindle and the drive multistep pulley.

I have run one for years. Never going back.

The multigrove side is toward the pulleys.

 

 

Here one is on my 1932 Catalog 405

Jim B.

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Robbins
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 6:08 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Drive belt queston

 

Hi Folks,

 

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good

I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt

It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

 

Thanks 

Dave


Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
Jim B

pjf134
 

If you use a fenner type belt you can put it on anytime in 2 minutes and Harbor Freight sells them.
Paul



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Dave Robbins <dmrobbin@...>
Date: 5/25/18 6:07 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Drive belt queston

Hi Folks,

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

Thanks 
Dave

Guenther Paul
 

John I would not mess around with a  serpentine belt that's just a bad dream some one had stick with a flat belt
GP


On Friday, May 25, 2018 7:02 PM, Jim_B <jim@...> wrote:


You should really look into a multi-grove belt.
They are quieter, and deliver more power to the Lathe. And they do not need to be relaxed.
At this stage, you can slip it over the spindle and the drive multistep pulley.
I have run one for years. Never going back.
The multigrove side is toward the pulleys.
 
 
Here one is on my 1932 Catalog 405
Jim B.
 
From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Robbins
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 6:08 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: [SouthBendLathe] Drive belt queston
 
Hi Folks,
 
I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?
 
Thanks 
Dave

Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
Jim B


Peter Nunes
 

If it is a vintage lathe and you prefer leather, go to Baltimore Belting.  They can also provide modern synthetic belting.  Great company!

Peter Nunes
peter.nunes@...

Dave Robbins
 

I haven't bought the belt yet, just want to make sure I can wait till after re-assembly 

Dave Robbins
 

Jim_B,

I saw something like that and I'm interested
Where did you get it?

Dave

Jim_B
 

I would guess McMaster Carr, although that are available from many sources, often cheaper.

Wrap a rope around the spindle and jack drive to get a length with the adjuster midway.

They come in ½” increments. You want a 1” width.

 

Jim B.

 

From: SouthBendLathe@groups.io <SouthBendLathe@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Robbins
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 7:29 PM
To: SouthBendLathe@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SouthBendLathe] Drive belt queston

 

Jim_B,

I saw something like that and I'm interested
Where did you get it?

Dave


Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
Jim B

Hartley Smithers
 

 

I just recently bought this out of UK for 9A Hercus SB clone lathe, they shipped to Australia no worries and fast  Belt is fabric covered with some kind of rubber stuff.  Seems to work well so far.  Only a few hours use.  Grips better than my old worn out leather one.

.  Order extra in case you have to practice getting the clips to close down nicely or if you get the length wrong. I think it takes a bit of practice to close the clips nicely.  Mine work ok on second try but I am sure they can be closed neater.  You only need a hammer, I also used the vice. They supplied lengths of the pin to cut to length. But didn’t supply the gauge rod.  I used a drill bit, it needed to be a bit fatter than what I first thought.  You need to be careful not to hit down on the part where the pin runs or you close the hole.  The supplied pins are special lumpy ones to reduce endways movement.  I think they are a copy of “Alligator” brand clips.  You fit the lacing to each end while off the machine, then put around the pulleys and insert the pin, so you can keep rebuilding while you wait.

I am sure you will find plenty of USA suppliers, but I couldn’t find any for Australia.

 

 

 

 

 

 

der id:

#31147

Order date:

06-05-2018 10:22

 

Products ordered

Product Code

Product

Tax

Item price

Quantity

Total

FB1inch3ply

1" Wide 3ply 4.5mm Thick Balata Flat Belting

£3.16  

5

£15.80

15-Joiner

No.15 Alligator Style Belt Lacing

£6.29  

2

£12.58

 

Subtotal:

£28.38

Shipping cost:

£12.50

Total:

£40.88

 

 

Thank you for using our shopping system

Stationary Engine Parts Ltd
Phone: 01904 607584
URL: www.stationaryengineparts.com

 

oscar kern
 

You can take apart anytime


On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Dave Robbins
<dmrobbin@...> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've spent the last year rebuilding a 9A lathe, it's looking good
I'm about to re-assemble the headstock and before I do I have a question about the drive belt
It's a flat belt drive and most belts have what I believe is called a hog ring connector to connect the ends. Am I correct thinking those can be taken apart so they can be installed on the lathe or does it have to be installed before the spindle is installed?

Thanks 
Dave

rus ice <ruspiced2000@...>
 

I just bought a belt from EBAY seller "solutions818"  it works great wrap it around the pulleys put the pin in and adjust the tension.  Run like a top.
I used a string around the pulleys before having the new one sized.  Set the tension (adjuster most the way in) and wrapped the string around then measured the string.  
My old belt was so stretched it was nothing but slop on the pulleys. I lost almost two inches on belt length.