New member introduction

scott sunday

Hello

My name is Scott Sunday. I joined this group yesterday. I found it as I was looking for information on my lathe. I own a model c9-10jr.  I’ve owned this lathe for several years and have turned a few pieces on it, but nothing that I am real proud of. As a younger man I ran a Clausing Colchester lathe in a machine shop trade class. I sort of remember some of the basics about lathe operation but machine shop was so long ago I have forgotten most of what I was taught. I am strictly a hobbyiest operator.  I use my lathe for making motorcycle parts like wheel spacers or bushings for bikes I am building.  I’m getting ready to start turning some stainless hex stock into bolts for a project because I can’t find the bolts I need anywhere. One of the thinngs I’m hoping to finds an answer to on the forum are about the gears on the back of the lathe and how they work as far as speed and feed and thread turning are conserned.

Thanks for letting me join this group.  This is my first post and I’m including some pics of my lathe.  Hopefully you guys with more experience than me with these lathes can guide me to a better understanding of my lathe and how to make it work better.

Regards

Scott Sunday

Jim_B

Welcome Scott.

Thanks for your initial post.

I wish all our new members would take the time to do that.

If you post your serial number we can give you a good idea of the date of  your lathe.

Your spindle oilers appear to be on the side rather than on the top of the journals.

That dates it to after 1939

Your lathe would be commonly called a Workshop Model C or a Workshop change gear lathe.

Please visit the home page and look into the files section, particularly the “Techinfo” folder which contains a lot of information on your lathe.

I have two suggestions for you.

Don’t use the WD-40 as a lathe lubricant. It’s a good fluid for turning Aluminum, but not for the lathe.

You may want to consider a shop made chip tray.

Attached is a picture of one I made for a similar lathe. My Lathe dated from 1934.  The base is Melamind covered masonite, similar to what you have on the wall behind your lathe. The edges are just scrap wood. One end is open so you can just slide it out and dump the chips into the dust bin.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Be Safe.

Jim B.

[...]

Forgot picture. \

Jim B.

fwhite913

In addition to information here, searcj "lathe operation" on the internet.  There are many good articles to read there.

On 12/23/2017 12:46 PM, scott sunday spivey250@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

[...]

Gregg Eshelman

The back gear doesn't change the ratio of the leadscrew to spindle. It just makes the spindle turn slower, with more torque.

On Saturday, December 23, 2017, 12:03:00 PM MST, scott sunday spivey250@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

[...]

So…after reading the faq’s and some of the other files I think I have the feed speed figured out on my 9c. If I’m reading the chart on the cover of my lathe right if I want to change the feed speed  to .0021 inches of travel per 1 revolution of spindle revolution I would use a 16 stud gear and a 80 screw gear. Or if I wanted to do a travel speed of .0139 per revolution of spindle I would use a 16 stud gear and a 36 screw gear. Have I finally figured it out??
Scott