Topics

Cosmetic fix for SB9c

Tom Harrold

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

What tip/trick am I missing?  

Thanks,

Tom

Fred Flintstone

Hi all,

Was there an answer for this? If so I missed it. I would also like to know how.

Take care

On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

Thanks,

Tom

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Lots of use ! )(

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Cosmetic fix for SB9c

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

Fred Flintstone

Surely there must be another way, I see old rusty lathes redone and they have shinny parts.

Have a great holiday,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:08 PM, "'armne@...' armne@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Lots of use ! )(

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

carbure2003

I cleaned some of my pulleys with emery paper, but never went any further with cleaning.

If your pulleys are too shiny, belt may have a tendency to slip more than on rough surface pulley

If you really want shiny pulleys, start with emery paper and then take a buffing wheel with polishing compound. It is how people shine their ball handles.

Guy Cadrin

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 20:37:24 +0000 (UTC)

Surely there must be another way, I see old rusty lathes redone and they have shinny parts. Have a great holiday,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:08 PM, "'armne@...' armne@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Lots of use ! )( From: "Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:52 AM Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Cosmetic fix for SB9c Hi all, Was there an answer for this? If so I missed it. I would also like to know how. Take care On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote: How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean? I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance. I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task. What tip/trick am I missing? Thanks, Tom

rlm_mcv

If your shop is not heated all the time or you are using a high moisture heat source like unvented propane to heat it will be hard to keep them from rusting.

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 1:52:08 PM CST, Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

Matthew Lewis

Agreed. Once I started running mine with a timing belt it shined right up. 

On Dec 20, 2017, at 1:37 PM, Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Surely there must be another way, I see old rusty lathes redone and they have shinny parts.

Have a great holiday,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:08 PM, "'armne@...' armne@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Lots of use ! )(

From: "Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Hi all,

Take care

On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Thanks,

Tom

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
Farella Braun + Martel LLP

Ray De Jong

What I have found to work  is emery strip with kerosene; with the lathe powered-up wrap emery strip around pulley and starting dry with very light pressure, increase pressure while adding a bit of kerosene and a few drops of oil. You can perhaps have the belt on the left pair of pulleys and polish the other two pair, then with the belt one of the previous pair and so on. What I have done is swapped-out the motor pulley with one of a larger size so as to speed-up the slower pulleys. Anyway, I guess the key is in the use of kerosene and gradually using finer emery strip, you know, the type that comes on rolls
Hope you are successful in your efforts
Ray

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 1:37:06 PM PST, Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Have a great holiday,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:08 PM, "'armne@...' armne@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Lots of use ! )(

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

Fred Flintstone

Sounds great i will give it a try.

Take care,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:08 PM, "Ray De Jong dejongray@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

What I have found to work  is emery strip with kerosene; with the lathe powered-up wrap emery strip around pulley and starting dry with very light pressure, increase pressure while adding a bit of kerosene and a few drops of oil. You can perhaps have the belt on the left pair of pulleys and polish the other two pair, then with the belt one of the previous pair and so on. What I have done is swapped-out the motor pulley with one of a larger size so as to speed-up the slower pulleys. Anyway, I guess the key is in the use of kerosene and gradually using finer emery strip, you know, the type that comes on rolls
Ray

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 1:37:06 PM PST, Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Have a great holiday,

Lots of use ! )(

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

A brief word on the use of emery cloth on lathes, or for that matter, any rotating component.  The UK Health & Safety Executive have produced guidance on this link.  There's  videos and a link to a pdf.  In any case, the rougher flat belt pulleys are, the happier I usually am!

Stay safe!

Eddie

Sent: Thursday, 21 December 2017, 7:00

Sounds great i will give it a try.

Take care,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:08 PM, "Ray De Jong dejongray@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Ray

Have a great holiday,

Lots of use ! )(

Hi all,

Take care

Thanks,

Tom

Gregg Eshelman

You really want to be careful with this! Hold the ends of the strip between thumb and index finger only. Leave no extra dangling. Absolutely do not wrap any of the emery strip around your hand, fingers etc! I know a guy who is damn lucky to be alive after getting yanked into a big LeBlond metal lathe when he was polishing a shaft with emery paper. Messed up his hands but luckily the docs were able to put everything back together and after a couple of years unless you knew what happened you wouldn't know - except for the parts of fingers he'd lost in previous incidents. He was 81 or 82 years old when he did that.

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 8:08:36 PM MST, Ray De Jong dejongray@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Ray

Seth Hensel

Assuming you have a flat belt drive head stock, note that the drive surfaces are not flat but crowned.  Changing the crown will affect tracking permanently.

On Dec 21, 2017, at 5:58 AM, Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

You really want to be careful with this! Hold the ends of the strip between thumb and index finger only. Leave no extra dangling. Absolutely do not wrap any of the emery strip around your hand, fingers etc! I know a guy who is damn lucky to be alive after getting yanked into a big LeBlond metal lathe when he was polishing a shaft with emery paper. Messed up his hands but luckily the docs were able to put everything back together and after a couple of years unless you knew what happened you wouldn't know - except for the parts of fingers he'd lost in previous incidents. He was 81 or 82 years old when he did that.

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 8:08:36 PM MST, Ray De Jong dejongray@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Ray

comstock_friend

My wife won't let me put the lathe in the living room to display, so it's in the garage making parts. I'm really too busy making parts to care about the degree of shine on my step pulleys and the V-belt 9A is even tougher! 

Sorry, it's a tool and not an objet d'art...

John