Topics

Cosmetic fix for SB9c

Tom Harrold

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

What tip/trick am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

Fred Flintstone

Hi all,

Was there an answer for this? If so I missed it. I would also like to know how.

Take care

On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

What tip/trick am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

  Lots of use ! )(

From: "Fred Flintstone stoeger666@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Cosmetic fix for SB9c

Hi all,

Was there an answer for this? If so I missed it. I would also like to know how.

Take care

On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

What tip/trick am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

Fred Flintstone

Surely there must be another way, I see old rusty lathes redone and they have shinny parts.

Have a great holiday,

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:08 PM, "'armne@...' armne@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

  Lots of use ! )(

Was there an answer for this? If so I missed it. I would also like to know how.

Take care

On Monday, December 18, 2017 5:56 PM, "tharrold115@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

How do all of you get your step pulleys so clean?  I see lots of pics where they are as shiny as new. I de-rusted mine, and they are functioning fine, but they have a dull grey appearance.  I tried doing some work on the buffing wheel, but too many corners to get into, so it's not an easy task.

What tip/trick am I missing?

Thanks,

Tom

carbure2003

I cleaned some of my pulleys with emery paper, but never went any further with cleaning.

If your pulleys are too shiny, belt may have a tendency to slip more than on rough surface pulley

If you really want shiny pulleys, start with emery paper and then take a buffing wheel with polishing compound. It is how people shine their ball handles.

Guy Cadrin