Topics

South Bend 9X36 Lathe

omken1

My father in-law was a machinist in the Army during WW2. Dad passed away and left me his lathe for my work shop as I am the only one in the family that has a passion for tools. My greatest regret is that I never took the time to have him really teach me how to set it up properly and use it.

I moved the lathe to my workshop in North-Central New Jersey, and believe set it up properly and now am looking to learn how to properly use it. I am now retired and tried to find an class on metal working but none of the Vo-Techs offer it any longer. I would love to find a someone close by in the North-Central N.J. area who could teach me the basics of this tool. Can anyone suggest a good book, video, or know of someone in this area interested in sharing their knowledge on how best to use this incredible machine?

Appreciate the help!

Nelson Collar

I do not know why I would suggest this but here goes. Craig's list has place for want adds, Just beware and try to have a friend with you on the first meeting with a stranger. The world we live in is one you must be on guard all the time. I would be willing but I live too far away.
Nelson

On Saturday, November 18, 2017, 5:20:11 PM EST, omken1@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

My father in-law was a machinist in the Army during WW2. Dad passed away and left me his lathe for my work shop as I am the only one in the family that has a passion for tools. My greatest regret is that I never took the time to have him really teach me how to set it up properly and use it.

I moved the lathe to my workshop in North-Central New Jersey, and believe set it up properly and now am looking to learn how to properly use it. I am now retired and tried to find an class on metal working but none of the Vo-Techs offer it any longer. I would love to find a someone close by in the North-Central N.J. area who could teach me the basics of this tool. Can anyone suggest a good book, video, or know of someone in this area interested in sharing their knowledge on how best to use this incredible machine?

Appreciate the help!

George Meinschein <george.meinschein@...>

The files section of this group is a good place to start.  You can also look at the South Bend Lathe Works publication reprints on www.vintagemachinery.org and all of the info that's available from the SBL Workshop on http://www.wswells.com.  That should keep you busy for a few weeks!

Thanks,
George H. Meinschein, P.E.

Meinschein Engineering Consultants, LLC
150 Brittany Drive
Freehold, NJ 07728-1500
Email: george.meinschein@...
Direct Dial: 732-409-0778
Cell: 732-580-1736
Fax: 732-358-0369
www.meinscheinengineering.com

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM, omken1@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention - YouTube!  There are usually video tutorials there for everything from complete lathe rebuilding to how to properly grind a tool for your lathe.

[...]

john hicks

I agree. A stabilized version of the “How to Run a Lathe” video is available on YouTube, and it’s well worth a watch. A YouTube user named This Old Tony made some great videos on things like leveling a lathe, grinding HSS lathe tools, carbide tooling in the home shop, and really explains metrology concepts very well. Just cut him some slack for using a Clausing and not a South Bend!

Respectfully,

John Hicks
Weymouth, MA

EDWARD SEYMOUR

I would recommend checking out Mrpete222 on YouTube. Lyle Peterson the owner of the channel was a high school shop teacher for 40 years. He has around 900 videos for free, and sells videos specific to south bend lathes.

Jim_B

You say North Central NJ
I am in Verona and I could give you some hands on help.
Jim- at-btdtrf -dot-com.

-8
Jim B,

On Nov 18, 2017, at 2:14 PM, omken1@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

My father in-law was a machinist in the Army during WW2. Dad passed away and left me his lathe for my work shop as I am the only one in the family that has a passion for tools. My greatest regret is that I never took the time to have him really teach me how to set it up properly and use it.

I moved the lathe to my workshop in North-Central New Jersey, and believe set it up properly and now am looking to learn how to properly use it. I am now retired and tried to find an class on metal working but none of the Vo-Techs offer it any longer. I would love to find a someone close by in the North-Central N.J. area who could teach me the basics of this tool. Can anyone suggest a good book, video, or know of someone in this area interested in sharing their knowledge on how best to use this incredible machine?

Appreciate the help!

fwhite913

Southbend book - How To Run A Lathe  ( maybe can find a free copy on the internet )

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xhow+to+run+a.TRS0&_nkw=how+to+run+a+lathe+south+bend&_sacat=0

Multiple videos on You Tube on lathe and machining operations

Study  these before pay for a class...

On 11/18/2017 01:14 PM, omken1@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

My father in-law was a machinist in the Army during WW2. Dad passed away and left me his lathe for my work shop as I am the only one in the family that has a passion for tools.  My greatest regret is that I never took the time to have him really teach me how to set it up properly and use it.

I moved the lathe to my workshop in North-Central New Jersey, and believe set it up properly and now am looking to learn how to properly use it. I am now retired and tried to find an class on metal working but none of the Vo-Techs offer it any longer.  I would love to find a someone close by in the North-Central N.J. area who could teach me the basics of this tool. Can anyone suggest a good book, video, or know of someone in this area interested in sharing their knowledge on how best to use this incredible machine?

Appreciate the help!

Then go to  the file SouthBendLatheFAQ-4.html
Post: mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Email Moderators: mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE-owner@...
* * * * *
 Stop delivery: SOUTHBENDLATHE-nomail@...
 Daily digest mode: SOUTHBENDLATHE-digest@...
 Individual emails: SOUTHBENDLATHE-normal@...

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    SOUTHBENDLATHE-digest@...
    SOUTHBENDLATHE-fullfeatured@...

fwhite913

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

Freebie

[...]

Several free copies in the files section

-8
Jim B,

On Nov 18, 2017, at 7:25 PM, 913fred@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

Nfwood

Look up MIT TechTV-Videos on  the internet.  Good instruction on how to do it ---- look up especially videos 8, 9 and 10 but all are really good reviews of shop practices.

Nelson Wood

[...]

soupy1951ca

If you email me directly at soupy51 at gmail dot com (change the at to @ and the dot to .) I'll send you a decent pair of pdf files of the South Bend book How To Run A Lathe.

Mike from Canada

[...]

Mark Hofer

You can do as I did and spend hundreds of hours watching YouTube videos by quite a number of machinists and you will learn to operated your lathe to make real parts, and more importantly, have fun.  There are quite a number of excellent folks but you might start with the shop teacher, Tubalcaine who has posted several hundred videos.  Have fun!

My father in-law was a machinist in the Army during WW2. Dad passed away and left me his lathe for my work shop as I am the only one in the family that has a passion for tools. My greatest regret is that I never took the time to have him really teach me how to set it up properly and use it.

I moved the lathe to my workshop in North-Central New Jersey, and believe set it up properly and now am looking to learn how to properly use it. I am now retired and tried to find an class on metal working but none of the Vo-Techs offer it any longer. I would love to find a someone close by in the North-Central N.J. area who could teach me the basics of this tool. Can anyone suggest a good book, video, or know of someone in this area interested in sharing their knowledge on how best to use this incredible machine?

Appreciate the help!

Scott McGrath

Some of the best instruction on machine shop practices can be found on YouTube from 'tubalcain' google lathe and tubalcain

The guy is a born teacher

Content by Scott
Typos by Siri

john hicks

Another great instructional YouTube user is This Old Tony. His videos on leveling a lathe, carbide in the Home shop and grinding HSS tools and all of his videos that deal with metrology were really helpful to me starting out. I could only recommend him more highly if he was using a South Bend and not a Clausing, but we all have our faults.

Respectfully,
John Hicks
Weymouth, MA

Nels@H-M <hobbydashmachinistdotcom@...>

Join www.hobby-machinist.com.

There is a section for people seeking help in various areas, and there is a group on there from Jersey.
Someone will help you.

Nelson Timken, Founder
www.Hobby-Machinist.com

The Friendly Machinist Forum