13” Southbend Lathe Model No.

David Boyd

Thanks Steve!
My serial number is 12929TKX.  It was shipped on March 25, 1969.
Enjoying this machine - big step up from a mini-lathe.

On Sunday, October 29, 2017, 12:00 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

David,
Very nice looking machine, could you post your serial number please.
The CLC is part of the catalog number, identifying the spindle nose.
CLC = D1-4 Cam Lock spindle.

Steve

sblatheman

Steve,
 Are you sure about that info ????
I'm not sure. I have had at least 2 machines (13" and a Heavy 10) with the CLC catalog number and neither one had a D1-4.    Both had 2 speed motors....
????
Ted

Very nice looking machine, could you post your serial number please.
The CLC is part of the catalog number, identifying the spindle nose.
CLC = D1-4 Cam Lock spindle.

Steve

Then go to  the file SouthBendLatheFAQ-4.html
Post: mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Email Moderators: mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE-owner@...
* * * * *
Stop delivery: SOUTHBENDLATHE-nomail@...
Daily digest mode: SOUTHBENDLATHE-digest@...
Individual emails: SOUTHBENDLATHE-normal@...
.

comstock_friend

My 13" s_n 6715TKX13, CLC145B, 6-25-1958 has a D1-4 spindle.

John

Steve Wells

Ted,
Most all CLC serial numbers I've seen have D1-4's, but I can't say for sure that after stamping that was the spindle shipped or remained in the lathe. CB was also D1-4, CLK was the long taper and I've seen CLO or(0) listed, but I think that might be a mis read CLC. I'm not sure of the later lathes that had the D1-3 option.
I finished your dial this evening, mailing in the AM.
Steve
Ps, I'm kinda liking the chemical process of making the black oxide thumb screws, very interesting to watch them turn black and then seal up with oil.

On Oct 29, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Latheman latheman2@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't remember seeing a serial number from the late 1940's for a D1-3., but it was an option. The later 14VS and the 1307 had them, I believe.
Steve

[...]

glenn brooks <animalbrakeman@...>

FYI, the SB Fourteen (14VS) is a D1-4 spindle

On Sunday, October 29, 2017, 10:25 PM, EarthLink IMAP wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

[...]

FYI: the FOURTEEN came with a D1-3 spindle up until about 1973

Ted

On Oct 30, 2017, at 12:13 PM, glenn brooks animalbrakeman@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

FYI, the SB Fourteen (14VS) is a D1-4 spindle

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, October 29, 2017, 10:25 PM, EarthLink IMAP wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

It's getting close to Christmas time, I have a suggestion for my present this year. Can you pull that 1969 CL1307RS out of the trailer and bring it to me....lol...that was a good year!!
Steve

On Oct 30, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Latheman latheman2@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

LOL   I wish I had one.

Ted

On Oct 30, 2017, at 1:07 PM, EarthLink IMAP wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

Glenn, I should have said "early" instead of later...sorry about that.
Steve

[...]

That's very interesting. My Fourteen has a D1-4. Always thought it was D1-3 until recently, when I measured all the mounting dimensions and found it is the larger size.  So now I know a bit more about when it was built.  Thanks!