Heavy Ten Large Dials


Steve Wells
 


Steve Wells
 


They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve


nzpropnut
 

And a very nice looking product they are too!
Well done Steve Wells.
And thank you for the time you have put into your very informative SB Workshop as well.
I have spent many enjoyable hours browsing through there.
 
Cheers
Tony Skilton
Auckland
 

Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
 
 



They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve


jonwoellhaf
 

Steve,
 
Very nice!
 
But the price? You have to be kidding me! I expected more like $200.
 
Jon
 

From: 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2017 16:11
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
 


Steve Wells
 

Thank you Tony, I appreciate that
Steve


On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:24 PM, 'Tony Skilton' skilton.adscan@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

 

And a very nice looking product they are too!
Well done Steve Wells.
And thank you for the time you have put into your very informative SB Workshop as well.
I have spent many enjoyable hours browsing through there.
 
Cheers
Tony Skilton
Auckland
 
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
 
 



They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve


Steve Wells
 

Thanks Jon, 
The hardest think about making dials is the divisions and marking them. So last September I set out to build a very precision CNC engraver that would make that task easy. I've completed the machine after a year and the dials show it's capability. They are some of the best engraving on dials I've seen. I'm passing on the labor savings as it takes just 24 minutes to engrave a dial(3 passes too) and drill the thumb screw hole. 
The numbers are very slightly larger, but the same font as the original.
Steve

On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:51 PM, 'Jon Woellhaf' jonwoellhaf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

 

Steve,
 
Very nice!
 
But the price? You have to be kidding me! I expected more like $200.
 
Jon
 
From: 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2017 16:11
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
 


Phil Sittner <sittners@...>
 

Steve-

I see that all three have been sold. Will you be producing any more?

Phil


On 10/14/2017 3:18 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
 



They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve


Steve Wells
 

Yes Phil,
I'll be making a lot more, they sold quickly. I'll build 4 more this week as I wait on more stock, then I'll try to do them about ten at a time
Steve


On Oct 14, 2017, at 9:09 PM, Phil Sittner sittners@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

 

Steve-

I see that all three have been sold. Will you be producing any more?

Phil


On 10/14/2017 3:18 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
 



They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve


Phil Sittner <sittners@...>
 

Steve-

Please let me know when you're ready to accept an order and I will place it through ebay if that is your preferred method. Otherwise I can make a paypal payment directly to you.

Phil


On 10/14/2017 7:04 PM, EarthLink IMAP wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
 
Yes Phil,
I'll be making a lot more, they sold quickly. I'll build 4 more this week as I wait on more stock, then I'll try to do them about ten at a time
Steve


On Oct 14, 2017, at 9:09 PM, Phil Sittner sittners@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

 

Steve-

I see that all three have been sold. Will you be producing any more?

Phil


On 10/14/2017 3:18 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
 



They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve



john kling
 

Does steve make dials for workshop lathes?


glenn brooks <animalbrakeman@...>
 

Steve,  very nice work! Supberb actually.  I would be interested in one for my SB 9 when you make some more.

Thanks

On Saturday, October 14, 2017, 3:11 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:


Davis Johnson
 

Makes me wish I needed one.


On 10/15/2017 01:53 AM, glenn brooks animalbrakeman@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
 

Steve,  very nice work! Supberb actually.  I would be interested in one for my SB 9 when you make some more.


Thanks
Glenn Brooks


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, October 14, 2017, 3:11 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:



rlm_mcv
 

Steve, very nice dials. I wish you had them for the 16".  I was given a NOS screw and brass nut last week and a dial would complete that up coming project.



From: "'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2017 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials

 

They are about as good as I can produce, although I did ordered the chemicals and reproduced
the factory thumb screw in black and included it. They came out great last night!
I'm happy with everything on this one, so...on to the next size dial...
 
Steve



Steve Wells
 


John, I'm still working on the G-code for the programing, but almost done.
 
Steve


Guenther Paul
 

Steve When you make dials it would be wonderful if you incorporate a trust bearing. I have bearings on mine, they a just so much easier   
 
GP



From: "'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Re: Heavy Ten Large Dials

 

John, I'm still working on the G-code for the programing, but almost done.
 
Steve



Kerwyn Dobbs
 

Glad you are back at it Steve. 


On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:11 PM, 'Steve Wells' wswells@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:


amriensr
 

Nice Steve..I take it that there will be more of these to come.
--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 10/14/17, 'Steve Wells' wswells@earthlink.net [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017, 6:11 PM






























Here is the listing for the
dials Jim.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-Heavy-10L-10R-replacement-Cross-Feed-Direct-reading-200-division-dial-/232523884834?hash=item362380e922:g:-CkAAOSwX8RZ4oad
 
 
Steve


Steve Wells
 


Hi Paul,
I could include the bearing kit, that would be $10-15 more, I need to check pricing on them,
as I haven't been selling much in the last year, my time has been consumed by the cnc machine build
for the dials and my day job. I'm still working on adding a few switches and contactors for
cooling and spindle power, and a spindle tach display. I have to run the machine to test the
G-code and get the processes down for making them. I've attached machine porn photos for
the group!
The Thrust bearings are added before the dial is fit, if you have a cross feed without large dials.
If the screw has large dials and you are refitting with new bearings, the process is the same,
measuring the difference between the gear without bearings(or the old bearings)
then facing that amount off, to allow for the difference, also the mount bushing has to be adjusted.
Then refitting and pinning the bearing retainer sleeve which holds the preload.
This sleeve is the shaft for the dial. The dial is reamed to .500 and the sleeve is .4995. The dial is fit by
placing a .004-.006 shim, depending on which SBL part form you are reading, behind the dial and facing the
front of the dial, sleeve and shaft. I use .005 and I will include the shim with the dials when they arrive.
The shim is then remove and the dial has clearances from the handle and mount bushing for free spinning.
Hopefully if all goes well, I'm going to retire this next year and I'll be much more active on the Group.
I'm going to give brother "Mr. Pete" (Tubalcain) some video competition...haha
Maybe I can keep up on e-mails then too..
 
Steve
 
 


Steve Wells
 


amriensr
 

Let's get some Heavy Ten dials in there soon.
Nice Steve
--------------------------------------------

On Mon, 11/27/17, 'Steve Wells' wswells@earthlink.net [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Heavy Ten Large Dials
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 27, 2017, 7:04 PM






























I listed the first 9-10K
dial:
 
Steve Wells
 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232577571303?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649