Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"

Greg Mekkes

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Jim_B

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways.

I probably used that for 10 years or more.

I would try, Ted, latheman2@... and see if he has a part.

Jim B.

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

oscar kern <kernbigo@...>

not rocket science make one out of steel

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways.
I probably used that for 10 years or more.

I would try, Ted, latheman2@... and see if he has a part.

Jim B.

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Greg Mekkes

Should be doable, I actually work at NASA, so even if it did require some rocket science... :) Actually, appreciate the ideas and hearing what has been done. I'm slowly giving up on attempting to make it all original, need to at least be functional!

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways.
I probably used that for 10 years or more.

I would try, Ted, latheman2@... and see if he has a part.

Jim B.

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Nelson Collar

Greg
You have the original and you could buy a piece of cast iron and make one. It could look exactly like the original except the numbers but who need that? But I am not a orignalist (that not the right word but you get the gist), if I can do something to make it better I will. I took my tail stock and removed the bolt and nut, made a new one with less threads so it would tighten up and loosen more with moving the wrench on the nut. If it can work better fix it.
Nelson

[...]

George

Greg.
I'll be glad to braze it back together for no charge. I've been doing this type of work for many years. It now seems to be a lost art. Just send me a PM for more information.
Geo in Texas

[...]

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

rlm_mcv

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move???

From: "r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 9:09

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move???

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

The accompanying pic in the original post is a fractured tailstock clamp.  I think we've all been assuming that the original post title resulted from a central processor / digital connection error condition.

And there is no headstock clamp.

Eddie

Eddie the original post is about a headstock clamp as noted in the title of the thread not a tailstock.

Never had a tailstock shift under load, e.g. when drilling a large hole?

S/B used cast iron for more reasons than just the cheapness of production, although i grant you, that would have played a big part.

Eddie

< br clear="none">

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move???

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

rlm_mcv

Sorry I never saw a picture from the original post. Only a pic I thought was from Jim B. of his tailstock fix.  I do agree a tailstock clamp should not be steel.

[...]

roefa.excite

Headstock, Tailstock, Whatever? ... if the broken piece in the OP picture is the problem, George Burton has the best deal  !
Very generous, George!  btw Re: lost art, yes! but Keith Fenner on Youtube is an artist, and his postings will help perpetuate
the skill. OP, take kind George up on his offer (and clear up the confusion about where this broken piece is being used).
Cheers! :)
Roger Memphis

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Nelson Collar

There are times I wonder. Just how many times is it going remove .001 with steel if all the ruff edges is gone. No I would not want something the looks like a file but a piece of steel with no sharp edges is just fine. Sometimes????????????????????

[...]

No, the original is broken

From: "r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 10:30

Eddie the original post is about a headstock clamp as noted in the title of the thread not a tailstock.

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move???

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Paolo Amedeo

If we were talking about a more complicate part/casting, I would agree that the best solution would be to braze it back together.

However, this is rather simple part, without any critical dimension, broken exactly through the threads. Reconstructing it by brazing doesn't seem worth the effort to me. Moreover, for this kind of clamps, steel is a much better choice, having much more yield strength than cast iron: you over-tighten it a little bit, and it will forgive you.

Paolo