Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"

Greg Mekkes

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Jim_B

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways.

I probably used that for 10 years or more.

I would try, Ted, latheman2@... and see if he has a part.

Jim B.

Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:46 AM
To: southbendlathe@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"

This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.

Greg Mekkes

Virus-free. www.avast.com

oscar kern <kernbigo@...>

not rocket science make one out of steel

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways.

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

altVirus-free. www.avast.com

Greg Mekkes

Should be doable, I actually work at NASA, so even if it did require some rocket science... :) Actually, appreciate the ideas and hearing what has been done. I'm slowly giving up on attempting to make it all original, need to at least be functional! 

On Sep 27, 2017, at 4:13 PM, oscar kern kernbigo@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

Nelson Collar

Greg
You have the original and you could buy a piece of cast iron and make one. It could look exactly like the original except the numbers but who need that? But I am not a orignalist (that not the right word but you get the gist), if I can do something to make it better I will. I took my tail stock and removed the bolt and nut, made a new one with less threads so it would tighten up and loosen more with moving the wrench on the nut. If it can work better fix it.
Nelson

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 7:02:16 PM EDT, Greg Mekkes mekkes2020@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Should be doable, I actually work at NASA, so even if it did require some rocket science... :) Actually, appreciate the ideas and hearing what has been done. I'm slowly giving up on attempting to make it all original, need to at least be functional! 

On Sep 27, 2017, at 4:13 PM, oscar kern kernbigo@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

George

Greg.
I'll be glad to braze it back together for no charge. I've been doing this type of work for many years. It now seems to be a lost art. Just send me a PM for more information.
Geo in Texas

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:02 PM, "Greg Mekkes mekkes2020@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 21:33
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

rlm_mcv

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move??? 

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:01 AM

I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

Never had a tailstock shift under load, e.g. when drilling a large hole?

S/B used cast iron for more reasons than just the cheapness of production, although i grant you, that would have played a big part.

Eddie

From: "r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>
Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 9:09

Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move??? 

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

rlm_mcv

Eddie the original post is about a headstock clamp as noted in the title of the thread not a tailstock.

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:22 AM

S/B used cast iron for more reasons than just the cheapness of production, although i grant you, that would have played a big part.

Eddie

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 9:09

Eddie

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 21:33

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

The accompanying pic in the original post is a fractured tailstock clamp.  I think we've all been assuming that the original post title resulted from a central processor / digital connection error condition.

And there is no headstock clamp.

Eddie

Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 10:30

Eddie the original post is about a headstock clamp as noted in the title of the thread not a tailstock.

Eddie

< br clear="none">

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

rlm_mcv

Sorry I never saw a picture from the original post. Only a pic I thought was from Jim B. of his tailstock fix.  I do agree a tailstock clamp should not be steel. 

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:58 AM

The accompanying pic in the original post is a fractured tailstock clamp.  I think we've all been assuming that the original post title resulted from a central processor / digital connection error condition.

Eddie

Eddie

< br clear="none">

From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

roefa.excite

Headstock, Tailstock, Whatever? ... if the broken piece in the OP picture is the problem, George Burton has the best deal  !
Very generous, George!  btw Re: lost art, yes! but Keith Fenner on Youtube is an artist, and his postings will help perpetuate
the skill. OP, take kind George up on his offer (and clear up the confusion about where this broken piece is being used).
Cheers! :)
Roger Memphis

-----Original Message-----
From: "George Burton geobur657@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" [SOUTHBENDLATHE@...]
Date: 09/28/2017 12:52 AM

Greg.
I'll be glad to braze it back together for no charge. I've been doing this type of work for many years. It now seems to be a lost art. Just send me a PM for more information.
Geo in Texas

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:02 PM, "Greg Mekkes mekkes2020@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

alt Virus-free. www.avast.com

Nelson Collar

There are times I wonder. Just how many times is it going remove .001 with steel if all the ruff edges is gone. No I would not want something the looks like a file but a piece of steel with no sharp edges is just fine. Sometimes???????????????????? 

On Thursday, September 28, 2017, 7:00:07 AM EDT, r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Sorry I never saw a picture from the original post. Only a pic I thought was from Jim B. of his tailstock fix.  I do agree a tailstock clamp should not be steel. 

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:58 AM

Eddie

Eddie

< br clear="none">

From: "r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

Nelson Collar

No, the original is broken

On Thursday, September 28, 2017, 5:58:36 AM EDT, Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Eddie

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Thursday, 28 September 2017, 10:30

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:22 AM

Eddie

< br clear="none">

Eddie

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

d6crawler

Agreed. No bearing surface needed. On my 16" there is even a pin that locates the headstock so you could not slide it even if you wanted to.

If you did move it then it would affect gear alignment.

Daniel

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 08:09:37AM +0000, r m rlm_mcv@yahoo.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@btinternet.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>

Eddie

From: "oscar kern kernbigo@yahoo.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@btdtrf.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways. I probably used that for 10 years or more.  I would try, Ted, latheman2@aol.com and see if he has a part.    Jim B.  From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com]
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"    This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.  Greg Mekkes

| | Virus-free. www.avast.com |

#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918 -- #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp #yiv2191456918hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp #yiv2191456918ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad p {margin:0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc #yiv2191456918hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc .yiv2191456918ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span .yiv2191456918underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p span.yiv2191456918yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:active, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:hover, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:active, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:hover, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div#yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2191456918yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv2191456918 o {font-size:0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv2191456918 input, #yiv2191456918 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2191456918 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2191456918logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p#yiv2191456918attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-reco #yiv2191456918reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv2191456918

Ondrej Krejci

The old clamp can be brazed together using a cheap oxypropane kit sold at most hardware stores.
Otherwise, a replacement made from steel, hot-rolled or cold-rolled 10 series, is fine.

Good luck,

OK

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:36 AM, "d6 crawler d6crawler@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Agreed. No bearing surface needed. On my 16" there is even a pin that locates the headstock so you could not slide it even if you wanted to.

If you did move it then it would affect gear alignment.

Daniel

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 08:09:37AM +0000, r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:
> Why would a bearing surface be needed for a headstock clamp?  I thought the idea of that clamp was to lock the head to the bed and never move??? 
>
> From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" > To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
> Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:01 AM
> Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"
>
>   I wouldn't use steel as it isn't a good bearing metal for an application such as this.  If all you have is steel, put some braze on the rubbing surfaces and then machine it smooth, or fit brass slippers.
> Eddie
>
>
> From: "oscar kern kernbigo@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
> To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
> Sent: Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 21:33
> Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"
>
>   not rocket science make one out of steel
>
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:03 PM, "'Jim B. ' Jim@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:
>
>
>   I once broke the tailstock clamp on my SB-9. I eventually found a replacement on eBay but in the meantime, many years, I used a brass block, milled to fit the bed width and with a slight step so it road only on the bottom of the ways. I probably used that for 10 years or more.  I would try, Ted, latheman2@... and see if he has a part.    Jim B.  From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:46 AM
> To: southbendlathe@...
> Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Looking for headstock clamp for 1916 18"    This is the headstock clamp at the end of the lathe. It is marked "13 16 18", so there appears to be some commonality among sizes. The one I have is cracked in half, and I would be interested in any leads on finding a replacement for it. A composite photo is attached. Thank you for your help.  Greg Mekkes
>
> | | Virus-free. www.avast.com |
>
>
>
>
>
> #yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918 -- #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp #yiv2191456918hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp #yiv2191456918ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad p {margin:0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mkp .yiv2191456918ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc #yiv2191456918hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ygrp-lc .yiv2191456918ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918activity span .yiv2191456918underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 dd.yiv2191456918last p span.yiv2191456918yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:active, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:hover, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:active, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:hover, #yiv2191456918 div.yiv2191456918photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 div#yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p a span.yiv2191456918yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv2191456918 o {font-size:0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv2191456918 .yiv2191456918replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv2191456918 input, #yiv2191456918 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv2191456918 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-mlmsg #yiv2191456918logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-msg p#yiv2191456918attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-reco #yiv2191456918reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-sponsor #yiv2191456918ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv2191456918 #yiv2191456918ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv2191456918
>
>

Greg Mekkes

Yes I have sent George a message, and it is a headstock clamp. Two headstock clamps and one tailstock clamp, this is the thinner headstock clamp at end, much lower clearance to fit it in, much thinner than the other two clamps which look structurally much more convincing. Thank you, all of you, for your time and input!!

On Sep 28, 2017, at 11:22 AM, 'R' roefa@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Headstock, Tailstock, Whatever? ... if the broken piece in the OP picture is the problem, George Burton has the best deal  !
Very generous, George!  btw Re: lost art, yes! but Keith Fenner on Youtube is an artist, and his postings will help perpetuate
the skill. OP, take kind George up on his offer (and clear up the confusion about where this broken piece is being used).
Roger Memphis

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Greg.
Geo in Texas

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:02 PM, "Greg Mekkes mekkes2020@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

alt Virus-free. www.avast.com

Paolo Amedeo

If we were talking about a more complicate part/casting, I would agree that the best solution would be to braze it back together.

However, this is rather simple part, without any critical dimension, broken exactly through the threads. Reconstructing it by brazing doesn't seem worth the effort to me. Moreover, for this kind of clamps, steel is a much better choice, having much more yield strength than cast iron: you over-tighten it a little bit, and it will forgive you.

Paolo

On 9/28/2017 3:34 PM, Greg Mekkes mekkes2020@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Yes I have sent George a message, and it is a headstock clamp. Two headstock clamps and one tailstock clamp, this is the thinner headstock clamp at end, much lower clearance to fit it in, much thinner than the other two clamps which look structurally much more convincing. Thank you, all of you, for your time and input!!

On Sep 28, 2017, at 11:22 AM, 'R' roefa@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Roger Memphis

Greg.
Geo in Texas

Jim_B

THERE IS TO a headstock clamp. In fact there are two on each headstock.

They are similar to the tailstock clamp but not the same.

Jim B.

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:54 AM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...

Eddie

From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Eddie

< br clear="none">

From: "Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Eddie

From: "oscar kern kernbigo@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Jim B.

Greg Mekkes

alt

Virus-free. www.avast.com