ChukMate..........

Jim V

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

ww_big_al

That looks like an interesting devise. I wonder how well it works or if it will bind at the pivot points.

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

Posted by: flajimak220

roefa.excite

Clever-looking gadget !  The drawings suggests there may be bearings of some sort in the joints.
...looks easy enough to build one, but probably a lot easier to just buy it to avoid re-inventing.
I like it!
:)
Roger Memphis

That looks like an interesting devise. I wonder how well it works or if it will bind at the pivot points.

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

Posted by: flajimak220

rlm_mcv

When I bought my Bridgeport 30 years ago it had a shop built fixture on it that is of the same design. Works great.  No bearings just steel bushing.

From: "r m rlm_mcv@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." Sent: Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 15:53

When I bought my Bridgeport 30 years ago it had a shop built fixture on it that is of the same design. Works great.  No bearings just steel bushing.

That looks like an interesting devise. I wonder how well it works or if it will bind at the pivot points.

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

Posted by: flajimak220

Ruud

Put a piece of roundstock in the chuck, about 3 inch into the spindle. Close the chuck, than remove the chuck. Store it with the roundstock still in it. Remounting will be easier that way!

---
mvg,
Ruud Silvertant

Edward Draper eddie.draper@btinternet.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE] schreef op 2017-06-08 10:31:

Anyone got any ideas for something similar for handling large screw on
chucks? (Short of a crane!) I nearly dropped the 4 jaw of our 14.5"
SB during a swap yesterday. Fortunately, I always place a plank over
the bed to catch it, but I always fear mangling the end thread of
either the mandrel or backplate. The Camlock on our Colchester is
much easier to use, even though the chucks are heavier.
Eddie
-------------------------
FROM: "r m rlm_mcv@yahoo.com [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
<SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>
TO: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>
SENT: Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 15:53
SUBJECT: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] ChukMate..........
FROM: "'Al Knack' arknack@comcast .net [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
<SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com>
TO: SOUTHBENDLATHE@yahoogroups.com
SENT: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:14 AM
SUBJECT: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] ChukMate..........
That looks like an interesting devise. I wonder how well it works or
if it will bind at the pivot points.
stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........
http://www.chukmate.com/
-------------------------
Posted by: flajimak220
-------------------------
Links:
------
[1]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/messages/99684;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNnByNXE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzk5Njg0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQ--?act=reply&messageNum=99684
[2]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJldWd0MmxqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQ--
[3]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/topics/99674;_ylc=X3oDMTM2cnMwdDNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzk5Njg0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQR0cGNJZAM5OTY3NA--
[4] https://yho.com/1wwmgg
[5]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbXR2ZXE5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQ--
[6]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/members/all;_ylc=X3oDMTJmY2RzMDE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzE0OTY5MTA5NjE-
[7]
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJkODQxY29iBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNDk2OTEwOTYx
[8] https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html
[9] https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

rlm_mcv

For that method use pipe to reduce weight.   Make sure you don't scar spindle bore that can cause problems too. Worked best for me using a block of wood on ways that is large enough to cradle chuck at the correct height and that was with larger 175 lb threaded chucks.

Put a piece of roundstock in the chuck, about 3 inch into the spindle.
Close the chuck, than remove the chuck. Store it with the roundstock
still in it. Remounting will be easier that way!

---
mvg,
Ruud Silvertant

Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] schreef op
2017-06-08 10:31:
> [...]
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/messages/99684;_ylc=X3oDMTJxNnByNXE0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzk5Njg0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQ--?act=reply&messageNum=99684
> [2]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJldWd0MmxqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQ--
> [3]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SOUTHBENDLATHE/conversations/topics/99674;_ylc=X3oDMTM2cnMwdDNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NzM4MzYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDA3NzA5BG1zZ0lkAzk5Njg0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ5NjkxMDk2MQR0cGNJZAM5OTY3NA--

I have no idea if or where this may or may not post.  replying to Eddies comment on
a similar gadget to remove & install chucks. And to adlib on Rudd's round stock clamped
in the cuck idea.............

how about 'replacing' the end of the the ChukMate with a bearing
...... that would slip over that roundstock, which has a shoulder machined onto the end. with
a hole in that end, which would take a pin to secure the chuck.  then unscrew the chuck .....

the trick would be designing something sturdy enough to support the weight of the chuck's
alignment without the benefit of the elevation adjustment offered by a 'knee' as on a mill.

????........ a bearing on that rod which would fit into the tailstock.......... but whaddayado with
it once it's unscrewed & supported by the tailstock??

'arm' built on a cart using a trailer hitch jack for vertical adjustment.  storage spots on cart for
chucks.... a carousel maybe .....but it'd be a heavy setup

instead of storing the chuck on the cart, roll it to a shelf for storage

I need to go to bed!  obviously sounding seriously deranged due to sleep depravation after
being up since 10am yesterday, 10hrs night shift, etc & pc time since!  Good night all!!

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

Yes, it's posted just fine Jim.  All you need to do is reply to all.

This post has set off some serious thought, thanks Jim.  I quite like the concept of a MT (tailstock size) based spindle which is long enough to go over the saddle, having a bearing mounted tube on its outer end which can be gripped in the chuck, allowing rotation to usncrew said chuck.  Maybe instead, something that uses the T slot on the compound slide, as that is closer to the chuck.

A further challenge:  What if there is a sizable job set up in a 4 jaw or on a faceplate, obstructing the centre hole, and you need to temporarily fit a different chuck or whatever, while not upsetting the alignment of the article you're removing, so it goes back on again in the right place?  Some of the jobs I do could at least double the weight of the chuck.

Maybe time to start a new thread...

Eddie

[...]

this darn pc won't 'reply to group',  the thing wants to switch apps.

just tossin' out ideas, I know we can come up with something when we get folks involved.

wondering about chuck weight/pressure on either tailstock or compound alone...maybe
use both with the comp as a 2nd point of support & 'traversing' unit with a pillow block
(shim to proper height) mounted or RESTING on it....... locking the bar into the chuck &
not risk breaking the bearing

ww_big_al

As a FYI, I responded to this add. It is still being made. Cost is $340. I think it is made to order  because it takes several weeks to deliver.

Al

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

john kling

Besides moving and space we see another negative for big iron.

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 7:33 AM, "'Al Knack' arknack@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

As a FYI, I responded to this add. It is still being made. Cost is $340. I think it is made to order  because it takes several weeks to deliver.
Al

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

Nelson Collar

Al
You should be able to crank on out in a couple of hours. Wow $100 an hour, I'll take it
Nelson

On Sunday, June 25, 2017, 7:33:44 AM EDT, 'Al Knack' arknack@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]

As a FYI, I responded to this add. It is still being made. Cost is $340. I think it is made to order  because it takes several weeks to deliver.

Al

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

ww_big_al

That was my thought Nelson.

Al

stumbled across this gadget to manage a vise on a mill........

rlm_mcv

That is where mine was mounted when I bought the lathe 40 years ago.  Other than the shocking high price couldn't see what the excitement was on this product. One hour and all the metal is scrap lengths you probably already have. No need for any bearings, steel bushings wont wear out in 100 yrs in this application.