From: "iptvengineer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Friday, March 3, 2017 8:51 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Inspection thoughts?

I have an Atlas 10", and just a hobbyist. Going to look at this in the morning.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/6026767672.html

Any thoughts and advice on what to look for would be appreciated. Motor seems too large, and not sure about the drawbar/collet closer. Everything else looks okay from the photos.

Thanks.

Walter Townsend

Motor is about right IMHO.

My 14x40 lathe came stock with a 3 HP 3 Ph motor.  Nice to be able to actually take a cut and not have the motor bog down.

Walter

I have an Atlas 10", and just a hobbyist. Going to look at this in the morning.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/6026767672.html

Any thoughts and advice on what to look for would be appreciated. Motor seems too large, and not sure about the drawbar/collet closer. Everything else looks okay from the photos.

Thanks.

Nfwood

Get the owner to show you how it runs and have him demonstrate all the possibilities.  Also it probably requires 3 phase power which is likely to cost you another few hundred dollars for a VFD or power converter some kind.  Nice looking lathe!

Nelson W

My 14x40 lathe came stock with a 3 HP 3 Ph motor.  Nice to be able to actually take a cut and not have the motor bog down.

Walter

I have an Atlas 10", and just a hobbyist. Going to look at this in the morning.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/6026767672.html

Any thoughts and advice on what to look for would be appreciated. Motor seems too large, and not sure about the drawbar/collet closer. Everything else looks okay from the photos.

Thanks.

m. allan noah

Heh- the original owner came on PM and asked us for a value. Sounds like a decent lathe with good accessories. I'd buy it.

allan

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Steve Epstein

Thanks for the info. Will report back what I find once I lay eyes on it. A close inspection of the photos shows an apparently corroded threading dial. Something of little consequence unless it reflects the condition of the rest of the unit.

glenn brooks <animalbrakeman@...>

Looks like a once a year deal!  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  Check the wear on the ways though, to make sure it holds decent tolerance.  Hopefully the owner will demonstrate a cut so you can see if it reduces diameter accurately -say dead on with .010" dialed in on the cross slide hand wheel!

Lots of nice acccessories! You can add a QCTP cheep these days.

Good luck!

On Saturday, March 4, 2017, 5:42 AM, 'm. allan noah' kitno455@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Heh- the original owner came on PM and asked us for a value. Sounds like a decent lathe with good accessories. I'd buy it.

allan

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:51 PM, iptvengineer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

I have an Atlas 10", and just a hobbyist. Going to look at this in the morning.

https://stlouis.craigslist. org/tls/6026767672.html

Any thoughts and advice on what to look for would be appreciated. Motor seems too large, and not sure about the drawbar/collet closer. Everything else looks okay from the photos.

Thanks.

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Steve Epstein

It was as advertised. Picking it up Saturday. Busy making room in the shop (basement) for it, as it is quite large. The apparent corrosion on the thread dial was an anomaly in the photo, no corrosion on the dial at all.

A lot of the paint shows cracks and much of it looks like it will flake right off. Any thought on repair? I certainly don't need/want to repaint it, but would like to get the built up dust off of it without doing any additional damage.

Anyone tried electrostatic paint? Years ago I watched a guy paint some office furniture with it and was amazed at the quality of the paint job and the almost non-existent overspray.

glenn brooks <animalbrakeman@...>

I keep a gallon of diesel , some paint thinner, and a gallon of Evaporust around the shop to clean my lathes and mills - load the diesel a quart at time in a laundry room plastic spray bottle.  Squirt a little on your dirty/rusty surface and scrub down with shop rags, an abrasive green sponge, or the occasional LIGHT use of 600 grit wet dry sand paper for difficult  rust spots. A quick overwipe with paint thinner cuts the excess diesel if you want to get rid of residue.

Also you may look at cleaning the ways with Vactra way oil to remove all traces of the grey slurry that comes out from under of the saddle onto the V's when you first lube it.  The grey colored oily smears  are composed of minute metal dust picked up by the way oil, and caused by the saddle wearing against the ways.  This grey slurry acts as an abrasive and eats into the matched surfaces as your saddle travails back and forth.  A lot of people in industry clean this stuff religiously off their machines. Sometimes takes four or five cleanings in a row to see clean oil roll out of the saddle .  But it's worth it.

Afterwards I always coat all the bare metal surfaces with way oil.  It collets dirt and grime from the air, but is super good at protecting the surfaces.  Just wipe off and recoat each time you use the lathe.

Sounds like you will be getting a very nice, tight machine!

Glenn

On Sunday, March 5, 2017, 12:33 PM, iptvengineer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

It was as advertised. Picking it up Saturday. Busy making room in the shop (basement) for it, as it is quite large. The apparent corrosion on the thread dial was an anomaly in the photo, no corrosion on the dial at all.

A lot of the paint shows cracks and much of it looks like it will flake right off. Any thought on repair? I certainly don't need/want to repaint it, but would like to get the built up dust off of it without doing any additional damage.

Anyone tried electrostatic paint? Years ago I watched a guy paint some office furniture with it and was amazed at the quality of the paint job and the almost non-existent overspray.

Steve Epstein

Got it home, had a little rain along the way and minor issues on the load. Got it in the basement, but tore up the yard. Going through it now. Seems to be in good shape. Need to find the details on lube points and the collet system, as all the parts don't seem to be there or match. My atlas has a pin to hold the spindle when removing the chuck. How do you get the chucks off these?

lance

That pin on the Atlas is an indexing pin, NOT a pin for chuck removal.
It is very easy to break it off if the chuck gets stuck.

On the SBL, lube the spindle thread with Kroil or PB Blaster
let it soak a couple minutes. Use a large adjustable pin wrench and mallet or
a strap wrench to turn the chuck whilst you have a wedge of wood
under the step pulley. Keep the spindle thread clean and oiled
so the chuck is less likely to stick.

If the chuck is REALLY stuck on, try chucking a 2x2 tightly,
hand rotate the long part of the 2x2 to the front of the bed,
put the lathe in reverse and turn it on.

The lathe will rotate the 2x2 rapidly against the rear way and shock
the chuck loose. Be careful with this method, eyes, fingers etc.

_L_
+++

On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:17 PM, iptvengineer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

My atlas has a pin to hold the spindle when removing the chuck. How do you get the chucks off these?

fwhite913

Lock the spindle by putting in back gear but NOT removing the locking pin on the gear.

This is intended for normal removal only...not removing a chuck that has frozen to the spindle.

On 03/20/2017 11:17 AM, iptvengineer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Got it home, had a little rain along the way and minor issues on the load. Got it in the basement, but tore up the yard. Going through it now. Seems to be in good shape. Need to find the details on lube points and the collet system, as all the parts don't seem to be there or match. My atlas has a pin to hold the spindle when removing the chuck. How do you get the chucks off these?

Ruud

Ruud

Steve Epstein

Thank you both, will try those. In no hurry already have penetrating oil on it and will let sit for a day or two and try again.

Bob Kellermann

On a stuck chuck I have had luck using a strap wrench to hold the spindle instead of using the back gear and put a superstructure coupling nut in the chuck and used a breaker bar and socket or an impact gun for what it's worth

Steve Epstein

Chuck is off! Strap wrench and an adjustable on one of the chuck jaws (per tubalcain), was all it took. Thanks for all the advice. One step closer to a running machine.