From: "jkling222@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 6:15 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] new sb lathes

Out of curiosity I would like to learn more about SB super precision lathes. That I spend $28,000 for one for the garage is to over state it remote.

What does super precision mean? Are the designed in the USA? Where are they made. Is there a nearly identical lathe out there with a different badge on it?

Gregg Eshelman

Grizzly has South Bend lathes made in Taiwan, by a machine tool manufacturer that was happy to get the work so they wouldn't have to lay off workers.

Those South Bend lathes appear to be based in part on various common 'generic' Asian lathes, but with some parts modified or completely different. Some components look as if they may be based on old South Bend casting patterns.

Their discontinued 8K model obviously started life as the garden variety 8x20 or 9x20. But the bed looked beefier, the apron and QCGB looked quite a bit like the old 9" Workshop parts. The headstock was obviously a completely new casting. Unfortunately the 8K had some features that were not so good. The drive to the gearbox used cogged belts, 8" instead of 9" swing, and worst of all, the cross slide with its narrow dovetail and compound slide with its 'classic' wimpy mounting ring appeared to be lifted unchanged from the x20 parts bin. A proper gear drive to the gearbox, 9" swing and a new slide design to fix all the decades old problems with the x20 slides would have helped it sell.

Grizzly had a fire sale on the 8K a while ago, cut the price to $1500 to get rid of them. Still expensive for a lathe that one would immediately want to do common mods to the slides to improve them.

Reviews I've read of some of the larger models have been mostly positive. One fellow who makes laps for gemstone cutting said his new SB was as good or better than the old lathes he'd bought and had to rebuild to get the precision the new SB had out of the crate.

Grizzly now has the rights to the south bend lathes Grizzly don't make anything they just private lable. As far as i know they are made in Brazil. I recommend you look for a good used one with hardened ways.

Guenther Paul

Yes i saw the fire sale adds Grizzly had. Don't think it was a deal all attachments where at a added cost

GP