LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

Steven Karvelis

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER. THE MOTOR STARTS NORMALLY, SEEMINGLY OPERATES AS EXPECTED EXCEPT THAT IT "SLOWS" WHEN TAKING A NORMAL CUT EVEN IN ALUMINUM. EARLIER THIS EVENING I WAS TURNING SOME 1" 6061 T6 STOCK TAKING A 0.040 CUT AT A FEED RATE OF 0.0015 PER REVOLUTION AT ABOUT 300 RPM. i AM USING "TAP MAGIC" CUTTING OIL AND EVERYTHING STARTS FINE. IN ABOUT 15 -20 SECONDS INTO THE CUT THE SPINDLE RPM STARTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY AND MAY HAVE STOPPED, I DISENGAGED THE FEED AND THE SPEED PICKS UP AGAIN. NEITHER OF THE DRIVE BELTS SLIPPED DURING THIS TIME. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOTOR? IS THIS A SERVICEABLE SITUATION OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO LAY THE OLD WORKHORSE TO REST AND GET A NEW PONY? SOMETHING ELSE  ALONG THE SAME LINE, I'M RUNNING MY MACHINE WITH THE BELT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE PULLEY TURNING (X RPM), CHANGE THE BELT TO THE SMALLEST PULLEY ON THE SPINDLE AND INSTEAD OF THE SPEED INCREASING APPROXIMATELY (1.5 X) THE SPINDLE RPM  ACTUALLY SLOWED????? WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYBODY

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

Ruth Busch

If it has bushings as opposed to ball bearings, they may have worn to the extent that the rotor is starting to drag on the stator.

Is it a "capacitor run" motor?  If so, a capacitor breaking down under load.

To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Friday, August 1, 2014 11:39:10 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER. THE MOTOR STARTS NORMALLY, SEEMINGLY OPERATES AS EXPECTED EXCEPT THAT IT "SLOWS" WHEN TAKING A NORMAL CUT EVEN IN ALUMINUM. EARLIER THIS EVENING I WAS TURNING SOME 1" 6061 T6 STOCK TAKING A 0.040 CUT AT A FEED RATE OF 0.0015 PER REVOLUTION AT ABOUT 300 RPM. i AM USING "TAP MAGIC" CUTTING OIL AND EVERYTHING STARTS FINE. IN ABOUT 15 -20 SECONDS INTO THE CUT THE SPINDLE RPM STARTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY AND MAY HAVE STOPPED, I DISENGAGED THE FEED AND THE SPEED PICKS UP AGAIN. NEITHER OF THE DRIVE BELTS SLIPPED DURING THIS TIME. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOTOR? IS THIS A SERVICEABLE SITUATION OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO LAY THE OLD WORKHORSE TO REST AND GET A NEW PONY? SOMETHING ELSE  ALONG THE SAME LINE, I'M RUNNING MY MACHINE WITH THE BELT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE PULLEY TURNING (X RPM), CHANGE THE BELT TO THE SMALLEST PULLEY ON THE SPINDLE AND INSTEAD OF THE SPEED INCREASING APPROXIMATELY (1.5 X) THE SPINDLE RPM  ACTUALLY SLOWED????? WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYBODY

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

john baird

Hi Steven,  Well either the motor is faulty or something has seized, remove the motor belt, start it up, and see if you can stall the motor with a length of 2 x 2.
Regards  jb

On Saturday, 2 August 2014, 5:39, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

Nfwood

Steve,  Why not haul the motor to a local electrical shop and get their technicians to analyze the bearings/bushings and the electrical circuitry.  They can do this in a fews minutes and you will get good information.  And probably a fix that will keep it running for years into the future.  If the 35 year old motor is beyond hope you need to know that NOW so you can find a replacement and get back to making chips.

Good luck.

Nelson Wood

-----Original Message-----
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE
Sent: Sat, Aug 2, 2014 12:39 am
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

sblatheman

Is the motor actually slowing down ?
Is the bull gear pin engaged in the cone pulley?
These might be dumb questions for a guy with 35 years of experience, but...

Ted

On Aug 2, 2014, at 12:39 AM, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER. THE MOTOR STARTS NORMALLY, SEEMINGLY OPERATES AS EXPECTED EXCEPT THAT IT "SLOWS" WHEN TAKING A NORMAL CUT EVEN IN ALUMINUM. EARLIER THIS EVENING I WAS TURNING SOME 1" 6061 T6 STOCK TAKING A 0.040 CUT AT A FEED RATE OF 0.0015 PER REVOLUTION AT ABOUT 300 RPM. i AM USING "TAP MAGIC" CUTTING OIL AND EVERYTHING STARTS FINE. IN ABOUT 15 -20 SECONDS INTO THE CUT THE SPINDLE RPM STARTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY AND MAY HAVE STOPPED, I DISENGAGED THE FEED AND THE SPEED PICKS UP AGAIN. NEITHER OF THE DRIVE BELTS SLIPPED DURING THIS TIME. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOTOR? IS THIS A SERVICEABLE S ITUATION OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO LAY THE OLD WORKHORSE TO REST AND GET A NEW PONY? SOMETHING ELSE  ALONG THE SAME LINE, I'M RUNNING MY MACHINE WITH THE BELT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE PULLEY TURNING (X RPM), CHANGE THE BELT TO THE SMALLEST PULLEY ON THE SPINDLE AND INSTEAD OF THE SPEED INCREASING APPROXIMATELY (1.5 X) THE SPINDLE RPM  ACTUALLY SLOWED????? WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYBODY

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

soupy1951ca

And extremely hard to read!!

Mike from Canada​

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM, 'Jim B. ' btdtrf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

First: PLEASE  do not type in all capitals. Its akin to SHOUTING.

Jim B.

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 12:39 AM

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER
SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

--

“People that know they are important think about others, people that think they are important, think about themselves.” – Hans F. Hansen

Learn from the mistakes of others, you might not live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

Jim B.

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER
SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

john baird

Guy's   It's not always that straightforward, some people have a visual impairment, which means they have to type and read in upper case,  just sayin.

Thanks for the update on Ed S.

Regards  jb

On Saturday, 2 August 2014, 15:16, "Soupy51 soupy51@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

And extremely hard to read!!

Mike from Canada​

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM, 'Jim B. ' btdtrf@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Jim B.

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

--
“People that know they are important think about others, people that think they are important, think about themselves.” – Hans F. Hansen

Learn from the mistakes of others, you might not live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

Mark Hofer

Is this a 240V motor running with only one live leg (eg 120V)?
M

On Aug 1, 2014, at 6:39 PM, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

rdp246

Your run capacitor might be going bad, if your motor is so equipped.

roger

On 8/2/2014 1:09 PM, Mark Hofer markahofer@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] wrote:

Is this a 240V motor running with only one live leg (eg 120V)?
M

On Aug 1, 2014, at 6:39 PM, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

-- 
rog

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”"
                                           Anatole France        

This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

I had a similar issue some time ago and I found the take up nut that controls the axial play on the spindle was too tight and after running a bit it would heat up the rear journal. The expansion caused even mot tightening and eventually it would lock up?

Jim B.

Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

Your run capacitor might be going bad, if your motor is so equipped.

roger

Ken

Have you checked to see if the motor is actually slowing?
If the pulley is loose on the motor shaft belt tension can keep them spinning together under no load but they will slip under load.

Ken from Canada.

Sam

I'd look at a stretched or slipping belt

More belt tension, or belt dressing in a spray can can be helpful

then I'd try testing the capacitors

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Ken Bergen kbergen@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Have you checked to see if the motor is actually slowing?
If the pulley is loose on the motor shaft belt tension can keep them
spinning together under no load but they will slip under load.

Ken from Canada.

Steven Karvelis

Thank you everyone,

Didn't at the time think of "ALL CAPS" as shouting but I do see your points. I believe my mind set at that moment was an imperative plea for help. The motor is a 110/220 vac motor wired to run on 110. Having reviewed your comments and help I would like to say no the bull gear is not engaged, the motors armature spins freely even though it has plain bearings w/oil cups. The counter shaft and lathe spindle both rotate freely even after running for a long time. The belt(s) do seem to be slipping and this slow down occurs within seconds of starting the cut (10-12). So everything being said I would once again like to thank everyone for their time and help. I will address the capacitor issue via a motor shop in the immediate future.

Sincerely,

Steve Karvelis

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 9:05 AM, "Latheman latheman2@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Ted

On Aug 2, 2014, at 12:39 AM, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER. THE MOTOR STARTS NORMALLY, SEEMINGLY OPERATES AS EXPECTED EXCEPT THAT IT "SLOWS" WHEN TAKING A NORMAL CUT EVEN IN ALUMINUM. EARLIER THIS EVENING I WAS TURNING SOME 1" 6061 T6 STOCK TAKING A 0.040 CUT AT A FEED RATE OF 0.0015 PER REVOLUTION AT ABOUT 300 RPM. i AM USING "TAP MAGIC" CUTTING OIL AND EVERYTHING STARTS FINE. IN ABOUT 15 -20 SECONDS INTO THE CUT THE SPINDLE RPM STARTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY AND MAY HAVE STOPPED, I DISENGAGED THE FEED AND THE SPEED PICKS UP AGAIN. NEITHER OF THE DRIVE BELTS SLIPPED DURING THIS TIME. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOTOR? IS THIS A SERVICEABLE S ITUATION OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO LAY THE OLD WORKHORSE TO REST AND GET A NEW PONY? SOMETHING ELSE  ALONG THE SAME LINE, I'M RUNNING MY MACHINE WITH THE BELT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE PULLEY TURNING (X RPM), CHANGE THE BELT TO THE SMALLEST PULLEY ON THE SPINDLE AND INSTEAD OF THE SPEED INCREASING APPROXIMATELY (1.5 X) THE SPINDLE RPM  ACTUALLY SLOWED????? WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYBODY

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

sblatheman

"Having reviewed your comments and help I would like to say no the bull gear is not engaged,"

The PIN in the bull gear SHOULD be engaged in the cone pulley.

Ted

On Aug 2, 2014, at 6:42 PM, "Steven Karvelis steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Thank you everyone,

Didn't at the time think of "ALL CAPS" as shouting but I do see your points. I believe my mind set at that moment was an imperative plea for help. The motor is a 110/220 vac motor wired to run on 110. Having reviewed your comments and help I would like to say no the bull gear is not engaged, the motors armature spins freely even though it has plain bearings w/oil cups. The counter shaft and lathe spindle both rotate freely even after running for a long time. The belt(s) do seem to be slipping and this slow down occurs within seconds of starting the cut (10-12). So everything being said I would once again like to thank everyone for their time and help. I will address the capacitor issue via a motor shop in the immediate future.

Sincerely,

Steve Karvelis

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 9:05 AM, "Latheman latheman2@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Ted

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

Ruth Busch

Do not eliminate the possibility of worn out motor bushings.  Things do change as they warm up.

With the cost of labor, most motor shops do not deal with small motors.  Our throw away society.

From: "Steven Karvelis steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]"
Sent: Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:42:51 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

Thank you everyone,

Sincerely,

Steve Karvelis

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 9:05 AM, "Latheman latheman2@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Ted

HELLO EVERYONE.

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS