LOSS OF APPEARANT POWER AND SPEED IN A 3/4 HP 1725 MOTOR UNDER NORMAL LOADS!

Steven Karvelis

HELLO EVERYONE.

I'M HOPING SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE REGARDING THIS TOPIC. I HAVE OWNED MY SB 9 INCH LATHE FOR ABOUT 35 YEARS NOW. RECENTLY AN ODD SITUATION HAS BECOME MORE PREVALENT IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS. THE MOTOR (3/4 HP 1725 RPM) SLOWS CONSIDERABLY UNDER LOAD, AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT A HEAVY LOAD EITHER. THE MOTOR STARTS NORMALLY, SEEMINGLY OPERATES AS EXPECTED EXCEPT THAT IT "SLOWS" WHEN TAKING A NORMAL CUT EVEN IN ALUMINUM. EARLIER THIS EVENING I WAS TURNING SOME 1" 6061 T6 STOCK TAKING A 0.040 CUT AT A FEED RATE OF 0.0015 PER REVOLUTION AT ABOUT 300 RPM. i AM USING "TAP MAGIC" CUTTING OIL AND EVERYTHING STARTS FINE. IN ABOUT 15 -20 SECONDS INTO THE CUT THE SPINDLE RPM STARTS DROPPING DRAMATICALLY AND MAY HAVE STOPPED, I DISENGAGED THE FEED AND THE SPEED PICKS UP AGAIN. NEITHER OF THE DRIVE BELTS SLIPPED DURING THIS TIME. ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE MOTOR? IS THIS A SERVICEABLE SITUATION OR AM I GOING TO HAVE TO LAY THE OLD WORKHORSE TO REST AND GET A NEW PONY? SOMETHING ELSE  ALONG THE SAME LINE, I'M RUNNING MY MACHINE WITH THE BELT ON THE MIDDLE OF THE CONE PULLEY TURNING (X RPM), CHANGE THE BELT TO THE SMALLEST PULLEY ON THE SPINDLE AND INSTEAD OF THE SPEED INCREASING APPROXIMATELY (1.5 X) THE SPINDLE RPM  ACTUALLY SLOWED????? WHAT IS GOING ON? ANYBODY

SINCERELY,

STEVEN KARVELIS

Ruth Busch

If it has bushings as opposed to ball bearings, they may have worn to the extent that the rotor is starting to drag on the stator.

Is it a "capacitor run" motor?  If so, a capacitor breaking down under load.

[...]

john baird

Hi Steven,  Well either the motor is faulty or something has seized, remove the motor belt, start it up, and see if you can stall the motor with a length of 2 x 2.
Regards  jb

On Saturday, 2 August 2014, 5:39, "steven_karvelis@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

[...]

Nfwood

Steve,  Why not haul the motor to a local electrical shop and get their technicians to analyze the bearings/bushings and the electrical circuitry.  They can do this in a fews minutes and you will get good information.  And probably a fix that will keep it running for years into the future.  If the 35 year old motor is beyond hope you need to know that NOW so you can find a replacement and get back to making chips.

Good luck.

Nelson Wood