From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 10:19 PM
To: southbendlathe@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] Cleaning up black iron pipe

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project and turn the mill scale off.

Rick

soupy1951ca

Just did some today for the mount for my treadmill controller on my 9A. I used HSS and it turned out perfect. I did 14" of a 16" piece of 1/2" to fit into a piece of 3/4" for a swinging arm.

Mike from Canada​

--

“People that know they are important think about others, people that think they are important, think about themselves.” – Hans F. Hansen

Learn from the mistakes of others, you might not live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

Nelson Collar

Rick
The best I can say is use pipe for what pipe is made to do. Pipe metal is not good for anything.  Another thing not to try is rebar, I believe they are made from similar metals--good for nothing but what they were designed to do.
Nelson Collar

On Friday, May 30, 2014 10:19 PM, "Rick Lathrop rickv100@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" wrote:

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project and turn the mill scale off.

Rick

Doug Grandy

Sure, I have machined lots of black pipe, it's not a problem. If you figure the pipe has threads machined on it, no reason you can't machine it for other purposes. The scale isn't hard or very deep, at least on good quality pipe anyway.

The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don't Eat This!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/538a6ac69b386ac66da9st03duc

soupy1951ca

The Chinese pipe I used for my treadmill conversion controller mount turned down just fine. There were some hard spots but basically it turned down very nicely.

Mike from Canada​

On Friday, May 30, 2014 10:19 PM, "Rick Lathrop rickv100@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE]" <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project and turn the mill scale off.

Rick

--

“People that know they are important think about others, people that think they are important, think about themselves.” – Hans F. Hansen

Learn from the mistakes of others, you might not live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

eddie.draper@btinternet.com

Can't speak for USA rebar and pipe but for the UK versions:  The pipe can be difficult to thread, the threads peeling off when you reverse the die, even with Trefolex or Silkut.  Rebar is grade T, which means it is quite handy for punches, single use special chisels for mild steel, Tommy bars for vices etc.  The worst feature is trying to grip the surface anywhere near central in a chuck, or anything else for that matter.

Eddie

The Chinese pipe I used for my treadmill conversion controller mount turned down just fine. There were some hard spots but basically it turned down very nicely.

Mike from Canada​
On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Nelson Collar nel2lar@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

Rick
The best I can say is use pipe for what pipe is made to do. Pipe metal is not good for anything.  Another thing not to try is rebar, I believe they are made from similar metals--good for nothing but what they were designed to do.
Nelson Collar

soupy1951ca

As far as threading goes the peeling off is the reason proper pipe threading dies are four piece and are set into an adjustable die holder that locks closed and is opened when the thread is complete. That prevents the tearing issue. Pipe NEVER was the best quality material but the Chinese have taken "quality" to a new low.

Mike from Canada​

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Edward Draper eddie.draper@... [SOUTHBENDLATHE] <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...> wrote:

[...]

dw1307

Yes & No... It is true that a lot of commercial threaders do use opening die heads, a lot don't. I used to thread a lot of pipe, and a lot of big stuff like 4" and the Ridgid dies we used did not open, they simply were turned in reverse to remove from the thread. Also the very common Ridgid ratchet style threaders do not open. You can get good quality threads from either style.

Stephen Bartlett

Rick,

I turned schedule 80 black pipe years ago to make new driver tires for a model locomotive.

I used a home-made form tool of HS steel and managed to get a very good finish. The tool cut slowly, probably because of the geometry of the tool, but this was good as it was easier to make six of all equal diameter.

I think it is welded pipe but the weld was never apparent when turning the pipe and is not visible in the finished parts.

BTW are you descended from the Rev. John L?

Steve Bartlett

Rick Lathrop wrote:

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project and turn the mill scale off.

Rick

Rick Lathrop <rickv100@...>

Steve,

A long way back but I believe so.

Rick

Rick Lathrop wrote:

Anyone turned black iron plumbing pipe? I want to use some for a project
and turn the mill scale off.

Rick

Yahoo Groups Links