What size quick change tool holder on a Heavy Ten?

bluechipmachineshop

Need some help here....... I was running off a batch of T slot nuts and stud sets for ten inch lathes tonight, and thought before I committed the whole batch for BXA size tool holders, I might check with you guys that have Heavy tens. Conventional wisdom (or what passes for it in my shop) tells me that you should run a BXA (or 200) size tool post on a ten inch lathe. The main difference in the T nut is the size of the stud in order to have a tight lock-up on the tool holder. My question is: Before I thread this batch for the larger (BXA) stud, are there operators out there using an AXA (100 size) tool holder on a ten inch lathe, or would I be wasting time and materials fitting some of them for the smaller studs? I've got a batch waiting on an answer before it goes in the phosphate tank.

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

m. allan noah

Everyone I know with an Aloris or clone on a 10L uses the AXA.

allan

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM, <bluechipmachineshop@...> wrote:

Need some help here....... I was running off a batch of T slot nuts and stud sets for ten inch lathes tonight, and thought before I committed the whole batch for BXA size tool holders, I might check with you guys that have Heavy tens. Conventional wisdom (or what passes for it in my shop) tells me that you should run a BXA (or 200) size tool post on a ten inch lathe. The main difference in the T nut is the size of the stud in order to have a tight lock-up on the tool holder. My question is: Before I thread this batch for the larger (BXA) stud, are there operators out there using an AXA (100 size) tool holder on a ten inch lathe, or would I be wasting time and materials fitting some of them for the smaller studs? I've got a batch waiting on an answer before it goes in the phosphate tank.

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

--
"The truth is an offense, but not a sin"

Mark R. Jonkman

AXA seemed to be more common for 10” when I was doing my research – so I went with AXA and it seems to be the right size for me on a 10L.

mark

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...] On Behalf Of bluechipmachineshop@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 9:25 PM
To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] What size quick change tool holder on a Heavy Ten?

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

I believe its a bit large. I use an AXA on my 10L and have been for 7 years now.
Jim B

Sent from my RAZR.

Davis Johnson

I'm no expert, but my gut feeling is that the height of the center line above the top of the compound, rather than the swing of the lathe, sugests the size of the QCTP.

The height of the center line above the top of the compound is the nominally the same for a 9A and a 10L.

I have a BXA-size phase-II tool holder and find it workable but awkwardly large on the 9A and 10L. It just takes up a lot of room - especially when working on small parts.

When I can get organized enough to have all the parts in one box I'll probably try to trade it or sell it and get an AXA size tool post.

On 4/8/2014 9:30 PM, Mark R. Jonkman wrote:

AXA seemed to be more common for 10” when I was doing my research – so I went with AXA and it seems to be the right size for me on a 10L.

mark

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...] On Behalf Of bluechipmachineshop@...

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

John Fischer

2 10Ls here and both have Aloris AXAs.  Not sure how much larger a BXA is, but I think it might actually be a little big – never tried one.

Regards

John

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

The down side of the AXA is the normal slot in the tool holder. It limits the size of indexable inserts. A loris does make some holders with 5/8 slots but they are expensive.
I have modified a few AXA holders to take 5/8 tools.
Jim B

Sent from my RAZR.

sblatheman

The BXA works on the 10L (I use one on mine), but the adjustment is all the way down on most tools. The AXA would be the better choice.(I also have the BXA on my 13",that's why I have one on my 10L)

Ted

On Apr 8, 2014, at 9:24 PM, <bluechipmachineshop@...> wrote:

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

Steve Wells

I use AXA Mike, and will take one.

Steve Wells

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 9:24 PM

Mick Finch
bluechipmachineshop.com  

bluechipmachineshop

Thanks for the input. So far it seems that the trend is about 5 to 1 for the AXA over the BXA (big surprise to me). I'm glad I didn't size the whole batch to BXA before I talked to you guys. Looks like I'll have to re-think that strategy and fire up the Bridgeport again.

Thanks guys!
Mick

Flash Gordon

Mark,

thanks for asking... i will need an AXA also.

Ed S

At 12:14 AM 4/9/2014, you wrote:

Thanks for the input. So far it seems that the trend is about 5 to 1 for the AXA over the BXA (big surprise to me). I'm glad I didn't size the whole batch to BXA before I talked to you guys. Looks like I'll have to re-think that strategy and fire up the Bridgeport again.

Thanks guys!
Mick

Rick Rick

Well some one has to be different.

I use the BXA

Tried a AXA and I was so used to the B series I went back.

Go figure.

Rick

ken campbell

fwiw, don't forget that your bxa types will sell to the many 13 inchers out here ...  i got that size qcp, just right.

ken