9a leadscrew gear ???

stephen butler

I have the opportunity to buy a 9a gearbox with leadscrew, but the gear which goes on the end of the leadscrew is missing. I think this is SB part no pT628NK1 which is 24 teeth with a flange and a key way. Can this be modified from a stock gear from the SB9 change gear, or is it a different DP. Thanks 

john kling

I have the same issue. I just acquire a gear box that did not come with the gear. I tried a change gear and it clearly does not mesh. A calculation of  dp from a listed gear was 14.7 - which seems implausible.   I wonder if the internals of the qc boxes is largely the same for a heavy 10 or the workshop lathes.

To: SOUTHBENDLATHE@...
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 2:05 PM
Subject: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] 9a leadscrew gear ???

I have the opportunity to buy a 9a gearbox with leadscrew, but the gear which goes on the end of the leadscrew is missing. I think this is SB part no pT628NK1 which is 24 teeth with a flange and a key way. Can this be modified from a stock gear from the SB9 change gear, or is it a different DP. Thanks 

Alistair Campbell

Hi,

Just a thought - judging by your email addy you are in the UK so it might be an idea to try Boxford, the gear would be the same for an imperial SB and Boxford and they might have some left.

Regards

Al

On Monday, 9 December 2013, 19:15, john kling

I have the same issue. I just acquire a gear box that did not come with the gear. I tried a change gear and it clearly does not mesh. A calculation of  dp from a listed gear was 14.7 - which seems implausible.   I wonder if the internals of the qc boxes is largely the same for a heavy 10 or the workshop lathes.

stephen butler

Thanks Al, there are probably a number of sources I could get one from, but I would like to know what the dimensions and specifications are to see if there is an easy fix in relation to purchasing/modifying another gear. If I can get a Southbend/Boxford gear, it will probably cost 25% of the value of the whole lathe!

john kling

I should have added that ebay listed part gives the bore 5/8 the thickness 5/8 and the diameter 1 5/8.  In principle the dp can be calculated from  this. As mentioned I got a strange result. I can't recall if the diameter used in the calculation is something less than gear tip to gear tip.

Eggleston Lance <wheezer606@...>

Try latheman2@...

He has many SBL parts and i dealt with him this
past summer on this same issue.

Hi, Lance,
 The standard SB leadscrew gear for the 9" has a .625" bore with a .1875" keyway.
2 N.O.S. 20 tooth stud gears for the 9"...$100 shipped US
2 good used...$65 shipped US

Ted

lance
++++

On Dec 9, 2013, at 3:08 PM, <stephenbutler634@...> <stephenbutler634@...> wrote:

Thanks Al, there are probably a number of sources I could get one from, but I would like to know what the dimensions and specifications are to see if there is an easy fix in relation to purchasing/modifying another gear. If I can get a Southbend/Boxford gear, it will probably cost 25% of the value of the whole lathe!

john kling

I hold to a kind of bayesian learning theory. I have my prior information and get some new information and then update the prior information to form a posterior distribution. So i had come to understand that QC (inside the box end of screw gear) is a 24 tooth gear. Now you confidently announce that it is a 20 tooth gear. Thus the conflicting new information leaves me less certain.

Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] 9a leadscrew gear ???

Hi, Lance,
 The standard SB leadscrew gear for the 9" has a .625" bore with a .1875" keyway.

Ted

lance
++++
On Dec 9, 2013, at 3:08 PM, <stephenbutler634@...> <stephenbutler634@...> wrote:

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

The reply clearly states 20 tooth STUD GEAR.             The gear you are referring to is not a stud gear.

Jim B.

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...] On Behalf Of john kling
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 4:24 PM

I hold to a kind of bayesian learning theory. I have my prior information and get some new information and then update the prior information to form a posterior distribution. So i had come to understand that QC (inside the box end of screw gear) is a 24 tooth gear. Now you confidently announce that it is a 20 tooth gear. Thus the conflicting new information leaves me less certain.

Hi, Lance,

Ted

john kling

I know that is not a stud gear. Those have 9/16 bore and , 18dp and 3/8 thickness. I think  the thread origin (like the first or second reply) referred to the end of lead screw inside the QC box gear.

Since I need to obtain that gear (as I believe he does), please confirm that it is a 24 tooth
5/8 bore, 5/8th thick with xxx (fill in) dp. 

Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 4:58 PM
Subject: RE: [SOUTHBENDLATHE] 9a leadscrew gear ???

The reply clearly states 20 tooth STUD GEAR.             The gear you are referring to is not a stud gear.

Jim B.

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... ] On Behalf Of john kling
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 4:24 PM

Hi, Lance,

Ted

stephen butler

On a similar theme I recommend mrpete222 (tubal Cain) on YouTube who has a new video (2 part) on repairing a Logal lathe QC gearbox, by replacing one of the pinion gears. He also shows how to calculate the gear specs.

john baird

Hi, 
1 5/8 " = 1.625
20t gear =13.5DP
24t gear=16DP
Regards  jb

On Monday, 9 December 2013, 23:44, "stephenbutler634@..." wrote:

On a similar theme I recommend mrpete222 (tubal Cain) on YouTube who has a new video (2 part) on repairing a Logal lathe QC gearbox, by replacing one of the pinion gears. He also shows how to calculate the gear specs.

john kling

Why are both a 20 and a 24 tooth gear listed? 
 Does a different in the gear box end of the lead screw gear require
 a different spur gear on the gear box end?

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..."
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:12 PM

Hi, 
1 5/8 " = 1.625
20t gear =13.5DP
24t gear=16DP
Regards  jb

john kling

I missed that there are different dps. Are there different internals to the work shop and light  10 gear boxes?  The different pitches would mean that all of the gears inside the box are of that pitch?

Hi, 
1 5/8 " = 1.625
20t gear =13.5DP
24t gear=16DP
Regards  jb

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

Look at the ARMY manual.

If the part number has “nk” in it it is used on BOTH the Workshop 9” and the 10K.

If the part number has only “n” in it, it’s only used on the Workshop 9”

If the part number has only “k” in it is only used on the 10K.

The spindle gear on both lathes is 20 DP.

The twin gears that allow forward and reverse and mesh wit the spindle gear are also 20 DP.

The inner stud gear is 20 DP and is a 24 tooth gear.

The stud gear that mounts on the front of reversing assembly is 18 DP.

That should be a 20 tooth gear with a QCGB.

The idler gear on the banjo that mates with the stud gear is also 18 DP as are the (two ) gears at the input to the gear box.

Those gears should be 40/56 tooth gears, depending on the threading range.

I don’t know what the DP of the gears inside the GB is.

Jim B.

From: SOUTHBENDLATHE@... [mailto:SOUTHBENDLATHE@...] On Behalf Of john kling
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:13 PM

I missed that there are different dps. Are there different internals to the work shop and light  10 gear boxes?  The different pitches would mean that all of the gears inside the box are of that pitch?

john kling

The SB parts list that Wells has on his site gives a part number as I recall N228 but does not provide tooth count or other specifications - I guess SB knows the detailed specifications.

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:40 PM

Look at the ARMY manual.

If the part number has “nk” in it it is used on BOTH the Workshop 9” and the 10K.

The twin gears that allow forward and reverse and mesh wit the spindle gear are also 20 DP.

The idler gear on the banjo that mates with the stud gear is also 18 DP as are the (two ) gears at the input to the gear box.

Jim B.

john kling

I have looked through the files section and have not found the army manual- where do I look?

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:04 PM

The SB parts list that Wells has on his site gives a part number as I recall N228 but does not provide tooth count or other specifications - I guess SB knows the detailed specifications.

Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 2:40 PM

Look at the ARMY manual.

Jim B.

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

This was posted just yesterday.

Go to the home page.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe/info 

You must be logged in. 

Click on “Files “ Just below the picture.

Click on the “Techinfo” folder.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe/files/Techinfo

Check to insure the files are listed Alphabetically,  ( At the top over on the right side)

Move the slider to the bottom of the page.

About ½ way up you will see :

sbarmylathe.pdf

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kDqmUr5Q1w1tDBqmRsV7_-xEWvw_emMbWuxXn63PmZlMTeN3_9rwrhUBz6rDnjOZiMT1fyhIzWZRoK3fnQa-/Techinfo/sbarmylathe.pdf

Jim B.

Jim B.

I have looked through the files section and have not found the army manual- where do I look?

sblatheman

The leadscrew gear for the 9" & 10K double tumbler gearbox has 20 teeth (16DP).

Ted

On Dec 10, 2013, at 12:57 PM, john kling <jkling222@...> wrote:

Why are both a 20 and a 24 tooth gear listed? 
 Does a different in the gear box end of the lead screw gear require
 a different spur gear on the gear box end?

To: "SOUTHBENDLATHE@..." <SOUTHBENDLATHE@...>

Hi, 
1 5/8 " = 1.625
20t gear =13.5DP
24t gear=16DP
Regards  jb

On Monday, 9 December 2013, 23:44, "stephenbutler634@..." <stephenbutler634@...> wrote: