Do a 14.5" and a 16" use the same bed?

Gregg Eshelman

Do a 14.5" and a 16", both under drive type, use the same bed?

Paolo Amedeo

I'm pretty sure that they're very similar, but not identical. The 16" bed should be a tad wider.
I think a friend of mine has still a brand-new 8' bed for a 14.5" lathe (the bed was bought by Kodak Eastman to use it as optical bench). If would cost less than a re-grinding job. PM if interested and I'll put you in contact with him.

Paolo
Damascus, MD

On 11/2/2013 10:55 PM, Paolo Amedeo wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they're very similar, but not identical. The 16"
bed should be a tad wider.
I think a friend of mine has still a brand-new 8' bed for a 14.5" lathe
(the bed was bought by Kodak Eastman to use it as optical bench). If
would cost less than a re-grinding job. PM if interested and I'll put
you in contact with him.
Yup. He has it on eBay. I know someone with a 16/24 with a bed worn so much it has like a raised ridge on top of the V ways for at least 1/3 of the length.