Star wheel reverse screw

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Well my left handed screw is broken off with a 1/16 deep pocket measurinf .188" and a ~1/16 hole in the middle, Can anyone tell me what size screw this is and does it need to be left handed and whats the hole for.
Than you Very Much
Alec Ryals

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

0.188 is close to a #10, but SB uses a lot of #12's (0.212)

Best to have a member measure his.
Jim B
Sent from (behind) my South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe

Nelson Collar

I beleive I've heard this story before.

Gregg Eshelman

Subject: [southbendlathe] Star wheel reverse screw
To: southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 5:07 PM

Well my left handed screw is broken
off with a 1/16 deep pocket measurinf .188" and a ~1/16 hole
in the middle, Can anyone tell me what size screw this is
and does it need to be left handed and whats the hole for.
Than you Very Much
Alec Ryals

------------------------------------

Yes, it is left hand thread. I assume it's left handed because of the way that part turns when using power feed towards the chuck or facing from front to back.

The good news with it being LH thread is if you're careful you can drill it with a RH bit and it may screw itself out while you're drilling.

Drilling and tapping to a slightly larger RH thread may work but you'd want to stamp the head of the screw RH so when someone else decades later wants to remove it they don't break it off turning it counter clockwise.

Flash Gordon

Surprise surprise, not all star wheels have a LH screw. On my 9"wide bed it is a RH screw.

Ed S

Earl White

Alec,

  The Ebay book specifically mentions that left handed star wheel screw and says the it is the most often broken/damaged item during a teardown. Sorry, but If you don't put it back like it was it will probably not work at all.

Earl White

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Gregg Eshelman <g_alan_e@...> wrote:

To: southbendlathe@...
Date: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 5:07 PM

[...]

Well, I guess make sure what you have. But it is a screw and the head is not that large, just how much torque can you put on a screw of that size. Try it one way with a good fitting screwdriver, then go the other. The trick is good fitting, you can tell when you are tightening and when you are loosen.

Earl White

Nelson,

   I think most people would think that the screw could take a lot of torque by looking at it. And most people would think that it is right hand thread, but they would be wrong on both counts. Behind that wide head is about an 8-32 left handed thread, so it will fool most people.

SB probably sold a lot of them.

EW

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Nelson Collar <nel2lar@...> wrote:

Well, I guess make sure what you have. But it is a screw and the head is not that large, just how much torque can you put on a screw of that size. Try it one way with a good fitting screwdriver, then go the other. The trick is good fitting, you can tell when you are tightening and when you are loosen.

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

  Well I got lucky and it was a left hand 12-28 thread and it came out with a rt. hand 5/32 drill, now were can I find one or do I single point one!
Thank You
Alec
 PS  Picture posted

0.188 is close to a #10, but SB uses a lot of #12's (0.212)

Best to have a member measure his.
Jim B
Sent from (behind) my South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Corectiom it is a 10-32 left handed thread.
Alec

________________________________
0.188 is close to a #10, but SB uses a lot of #12's (0.212)

Best to have a member measure his.
Jim B
Sent from (behind) my South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe

sblatheman

I have the special screws for sale. N.O.S.  $10 each plus $3 shipping in the USA.

Ted

On Aug 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "armne@..." <armne@...> wrote:

  Well I got lucky and it was a left hand 12-28 thread and it came out with a rt. hand 5/32 drill, now were can I find one or do I single point one!
Thank You
Alec
 PS  Picture posted

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Hello Ted,
I would like to but one can yopu send me a invoice.
Thank You
Alec Ryals

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Latheman <latheman2@...> wrote:

I have the special screws for sale. N.O.S. $10 each plus $3 shipping in the USA.

Ted

On Aug 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "armne@..." <armne@...> wrote:

Well I got lucky and it was a left hand 12-28 thread and it came out with a rt. hand 5/32 drill, now were can I find one or do I single point one!
Thank You
Alec
PS Picture posted

armne@sbcglobal.net <armne@...>

Ted, it is a 10-32 left hand thread.
Thank you
Alec Ryals

--- In southbendlathe@yahoogroups.com, Latheman <latheman2@...> wrote:

I have the special screws for sale. N.O.S. $10 each plus $3 shipping in the USA.

Ted

On Aug 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM, "armne@..." <armne@...> wrote:

Well I got lucky and it was a left hand 12-28 thread and it came out with a rt. hand 5/32 drill, now were can I find one or do I single point one!
Thank You
Alec
PS Picture posted

sblatheman