27" South Bend TURN-NADO

gbi281

First Post...

I've been helping a friend over the past month remove this lathe from a Military Surplus mobile machine shop. I've posted some photos in 27" TURN-NADO to share what this beast looked like in the trailer and how it looks now in the shop earning its keep.

Now this was not a refurbish to like new condition, it was a break-down what needed to clean and make operational.

I did a bunch of Electrolysis on parts that would fit in 5 gallon bucket.

The gears inside the headstock and gearbox appear new with no sign of wear.

Made the fist cut on it this morning. Sweet, quiet, heavy, rigid machine. I don't think there was any time on this lathe.

It does look out of place in the shop with the other museum machines. I think one is a 1949 South Bend 16" or 18" with a 6 or 8 foot bed and 5 additional lathes of various sizes all around that same era.

Keith

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

> Made the fist cut on it this morning. Sweet, quiet, heavy, rigid machine. I don't think there was any time on this lathe.

It does look out of place in the shop with the other museum machines. I think one is a 1949 South Bend 16" or 18" with a 6 or 8 foot bed and 5 additional lathes of various sizes all around that same era.

>Keith

I have always liked the looks of those machines. I did not know that came in such a large machine.

It looks like they took the 17” and added 10” rising blocks.

That tailstock is a monster.

Oh yes, welcome to the group, Keith.

Jim B.

Jim Schwitters

Resurrecting an old thread.  I just acquired a surplus mobile military machine shop trailer just like the OP.  Was purchased primarily for the trailer running gear and included generator.

The 27" South Bend Turn-nado lathe has the next serial number in sequence to the OP's.  Entire contents of the trailer, including the lathe, are unused.  The lathe has what appears to be all the accessories and tooling that SB offered at the time, all still in the drawers and original shipping crate.

Trailer and contents appear to be from around 1984.  I understand SB had these lathes made for them and imported, either from Europe or Taiwan.  Anyone know which country this lathe was made?  Not surprisingly, South Bend/Grizzly does not have the build card for this lathe.

Lathe and tooling will be offered for sale as soon as I can get it out of the trailer and sorted.

Jim

sblatheman

The 27” was made in South Bend, not an import.

Ted

On Feb 13, 2021, at 10:53 AM, Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:

[...]

<0210211720a.jpg>

James Rice

I believe the Turnados were from Taiwan.  A couple of years ago I used a 17" in welding school beveling pipe coupons for practice and AWS certification tests when I was taking pipeline welding and seem to recall seeing Taiwan on the data plate. I was teasing the instructor about backing my trailer up to the door and rescuing the lathe from all the students' abuse.   Also a vegetable oil refinery and packaging plant I used to work at btook delivery of a new 17" Turnado in the very late 70's or possibly very early 80's.  I remember running power to it from the maintenance shop bus duct but don't remember exactly what year it was.  I was an outside contractor at the plant from 1973 to 1999.

I think that does look like a 17" with riser blocks.

James

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:
[...]

Ted,
Thanks for the reply.  I was hopeful that you would add your expertise.

I'll take your answer at face value, but could you please clarify some of the confusion around where Turn-nados were built.  I've spent a good bit of time reading on the web and various sources claim built in Belgium, Spain, France, Italy and Taiwan, though no source of the info inspires confidence.  I'm specifically referring to 17" lathes made prior to , say, 1990.  17" because this looks exactly like 17s that I have seen pictured except for what look like 5" risers to the headstock, compound, and tailstock making it 27" swing.

Bottom line, it does not really matter to me where this was made since it looks like a good machine.  Really just looking for accurate knowledge.  BTW, this lathe has a two-speed UK made motor with 10/5 Hp.  More Hp than the 7.5 that I have seen on 17" presumably because of the added swing.
Regards,
Jim

sblatheman

The 17”, 20”, & 27” Turnados were made in South Bend up until circa 1993. That year, SBL was sold out of bankruptcy to the guy that owned Republic Lagun. He started using the Turnado name on the machines he imported from Taiwan. They looked nothing like the originals and were 14”, 16”, 18”, and 21 or 22”?

Ted

On Feb 13, 2021, at 2:50 PM, Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:

[...]

glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...>

I had similar curiosity when I purchased  my “SB Fourteen”, some years ago.

image1.jpeg

Like the Turn-Nados, the SB Fourteen is an early 1970’s version of your modern basic Taiwan looking knockoff Lathe. Because it looks like an Asian knock off, some people somehow started assuming that SB magically established a yet unidentified factory in Taiwan where these must have all been made.  Which of course is simply not true. SB’s were all made in South bend.  No where else. When I tracked down the manufacturing origin for my lathe (south bend),  I got the impression from the people I found, that they and company in general had actually grown quite hostile to repeatedly answering this question over the years,  as it was and is, simply nonsense.

Another way to verify where your lathe was made is to look at the SB manufacturer’s plate.  Since 1930, section 304 of the US Tarrif Act requires country of origin labeling on all foreign manufactured goods imported into the US.  So any SB lathe made overseas, since 1930 would have the country or origin imprinted on the label. If the item was manufactured in the US, no label is required.  To date, no foreign county of origin has ever been reported on a SB label. Actually there is one exception, sort of.  Some SB 9” lathes we’re licensed for Uk manufacture under the Wells label, during WWII.  These are fairly common in Britain and Australia today. However they are Wells lathes, not south bend lathes, even though they have interchangeable parts.

So it seems, anybody that reports a SB made in Europe, Asia or elsewhere simply is repeating a nonsensical claim, or is describing a pirated copycat of some sort.

Glenn P.

On Feb 13, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:

[...]

That explains the Turnado at the plant being different from the Turnado at the college.  Different vintages, different manufacturers.

Thanks, Ted.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 2:23 PM sblatheman via groups.io <latheman2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

m. allan noah

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM glenn brooks <brooks.glenn@...> wrote:

So it seems, anybody that reports a SB made in Europe, Asia or elsewhere simply is repeating a nonsensical claim, or is describing a pirated copycat of some sort.

Nonsense. Ted just told you about the later Asian made Turnados, plus there was a rebadged Hercus, and those Korean made 10Ks, and others.

allan

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

Jim Schwitters

Ted,
Many thanks.  That clears up a lot.

As an aside, I called SB/Grizzly to get the lathe "build card", but not really expecting success.  They were courteous and helpful, certain that they had cards on file "for every lathe they ever made".  But after a couple days they acknowledged they did not have one for this lathe though they did say the SN (00120SWT) was valid.

Thanks again,
Jim

sblatheman

Jim,
 Your 27” was sold on a military contract to South West Truck (SWT) for an  off-road mobile machine shop.
Most of the 27” were made for the military .

Ted

On Feb 13, 2021, at 6:34 PM, Jim Schwitters <jrschwit@...> wrote:

Ted,
Many thanks.  That clears up a lot.

As an aside, I called SB/Grizzly to get the lathe "build card", but not really expecting success.  They were courteous and helpful, certain that they had cards on file "for every lathe they ever made".  But after a couple days they acknowledged they did not have one for this lathe though they did say the SN (00120SWT) was valid.

Thanks again,
Jim

Jim Schwitters

Thanks again Ted.  I had not made the connection between SWT in the serial number and South West Truck.  The mobile trailer is tagged as mfd by Southwest Mobile Systems.
Jim