1 1/2-8 tap needed

wedge446

Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.

Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

David Rysdam <david@...>

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:54:45 -0000, "wedge446" <wedge446@...> wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.
If this is to make threads to match your spindle, you probably don't
want to use a tap anyway. You want to cut them on the lathe to ensure
true concentricity and parallelism. Plus it'll be WAAAAY cheaper.

Charles Tucker <1954wd45@...>

What you have to tap won't fit in the lathe chuck or faceplate???

Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.

Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

Nelson Collar

Your question started of asking for a tap. They do not make that thread any more, unless someone knows different. The best thing to do is to cut the thread on your lathe. Start out making the external threads first, then the internal internal using the external as a gauge for the fit. It not that big a deal just pay attention when cutting the threads both in and out, and the practice is good for the more you learn. the more you will be able to do.
Nelson Collar

What you have to tap won't fit in the lathe chuck or faceplate???

> Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
> I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.
>
> Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

jim and rose

Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [southbendlathe] Re: 1 1/2-8 tap needed

Your question started of asking for a tap. They do not make that thread any more, unless someone knows different. The best thing to do is to cut the thread on your lathe. Start out making the external threads first, then the internal internal using the external as a gauge for the fit. It not that big a deal just pay attention when cutting the threads both in and out, and the practice is good for the more you learn. the more you will be able to do.
Nelson Collar

What you have to tap won't fit in the lathe chuck or faceplate???

> Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
> I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.
>
> Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

Wally Murray <wally.murray3@...>

Actually, it turns out that MSC still offers three choices of 1-1/2"-8 taps, but they're all over $200. The internal single-point operation isn't difficult if you keep clearance in mind.

wa5cab@...

Actually, they do.  Bass Tool & Supply (in Houston) lists two US brands in taper, plug and bottoming.  Last year's prices ranged from $75 to $85.  Wholesale Tooll also lists them but only USA made so about the same price.  If WT lists them, Enco probably does as well, but I didn't check.

However, I agree with previous posts that if you are making something from scratch to screw onto your spindle, you are probably better off cutting the threads with the lathe it's going on.

Robert D.

In a message dated 02/26/2013 14:21:56 PM Central Standard Time, nel2lar@... writes:
Your question started of asking for a tap. They do not make that thread any more, unless someone knows different. The best thing to do is to cut the thread on your lathe. Start out making the external threads first, then the internal internal using the external as a gauge for the fit. It not that big a deal just pay attention when cutting the threads both in and out, and the practice is good for the more you learn. the more you will be able to do.
Nelson Collar

  What you have to tap won't fit in the lathe chuck or faceplate???

>Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
>I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.
>
>Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

sivan0123

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:04:42 -0500, Wally Murray <wally.murray3@...> wrote:
Actually, it turns out that MSC still offers three choices of 1-1/2"-8
taps, but they're all over $200. The internal single-point operation isn't
difficult if you keep clearance in mind.
You don't even need to do that if you run the lathe under hand power.

Flash Gordon

Let me guess, you have a 405 and need to thread a chuck base or face plate.

Never heard of anyone using a tap to do it. Best to cut the thread on a lathe to match your spindle, including register shoulder.

I own a 405 and actually bought another lathe to do this job, well that is what I told my wife. I got that look from her... you know the one.

Ed S

Jim B. <btdtrf@...>

The 405 is 1-3/8-10
Later Workshops, 415 and later are 1-1/2-8
Jim B
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Nelson Collar

Thanks for pointing it out. Usually taps that big run the hundreds of dollars.
Nelson Collar

Your question started of asking for a tap. They do not make that thread any more, unless someone knows different. The best thing to do is to cut the thread on your lathe. Start out making the external threads first, then the internal internal using the external as a gauge for the fit. It not that big a deal just pay attention when cutting the threads both in and out, and the practice is good for the more you learn. the more you will be able to do.
Nelson Collar

What you have to tap won't fit in the lathe chuck or faceplate???

> Anyone know where I can buy one at at a low cost?
> I just can see spending alot on something Im going to use only once.
>
> Or anyone willing to loan or rent one to me?

Nelson Collar

Enco has them for $121.00
Nelson Collar

Actually, it turns out that MSC still offers three choices of 1-1/2"-8 taps, but they're all over $200. The internal single-point operation isn't difficult if you keep clearance in mind.

Nelson Collar

That one on flee bay is a plug tap, as is it will not do any good.

Actually, it turns out that MSC still offers three choices of 1-1/2"-8 taps, but they're all over $200. The internal single-point operation isn't difficult if you keep clearance in mind.

Nelson Collar

I believe I was wrong with that.