Newbie Here

Rusty <thebrassbasher@...>

I just acquired a used (new for me) lathe. it is a South Bend 9 inch. the serial number is 49730NKX9. All I know is that the serial number is suppose to mean something. i brought it home and immediately discovered that the lathe has running problems. It has a start/stop push button switch with a speed control dial. It is a GE Statortrol DC motor with a large control box mounted between the cabinet under the head stock where the motor is and the three drawers that are to the right. It barely turns over when the flat bet tensioner is engaged. The head stock pulleys are free turning and so is the jackshaft underneath. When I take off the A belt from the motor pulley it spins just fine. Not knowing what I really am doing i decided to order a new Baldor 1/2 HP motor. i also ordered a new drum switch from McMaster-Carr
I think I got a decent deal for the money though. It has a Aloris AXA with 6 tool holders that has never been used. A new turret that goes where the tail stock goes and has not yet been set up, no holes in the big hex where the tooling goes. I did get a normal tail stock.
5 each 3C collets in 1/32 Hardinge (they were new). Also a set of RSB in 1/16 inch up to 1/2 inch, used but look okay. In researching the internet I think that these are called RedArrow by SouthBend, they do have an arrow going through all the letters. I also received Armstrong tool holders but no wedges, They have a 1/2 inch wide opening. I did get a lot of armstrong 1/4 inch tool holders though.
One of the drawers on the cabinet is missing part of the lock assembly. I had the inside part with the latch but not the lock with the tumbler or the outside knob. I just bought 3 of the knurled knobs on eBay and I only need one of them. I will be putting the other two back up on eBay after I receive them. What I need is the keyed tumbler that goes inside the lock.
I would also like to know something about what I have. I decided that I have had it with the Chinese import junk. I have a bench top drill press that just about jumps off the bench every time I turn it on. Every thing, and I mean every thing on the machine is out of balance really bad.

Rusty

BOB WRIGHT

Well your sn means its a 1962 9"...Bob

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Rusty" <thebrassbasher@...> wrote:

I just acquired a used (new for me) lathe. it is a South Bend 9 inch. the serial number is 49730NKX9. All I know is that the serial number is suppose to mean something.

Rusty <thebrassbasher@...>

Bob:
Thanks so much for the info.
Rusty