SB Special #3mt

Richard

Dose any one have the Dim's. for SB's #3MT special taper that you could and would share?
I have a 11" SB with a #3MT taper head and would like to make a new dead center for it.
The morse taper sleeve that came with the lathe has a 0.051 Per Inch taper and that is the same for the standard #3MT.
The only difference that I can see is the large end of the sleeve is 1.015" in diameter and the standard #3MT dead center that I have is 0.948" in diameter.
Do I have the Dim's right or am I missing something here?

Richard T.
Northern New York USA

Jim B <btdtrf@...>

SB used a propritary taper which has the same RATE of TAPER as a MT3
but, except for the 9" Workshop, is not a a MT3.
There were two major diameters depending on the collet/spindle bore
size.
See:
http://www.wswells.com/data/spec_sheet/5224.pdf

Although this data is too late for the 11" lathe I believe the 11"
followed the same logic.
Thus your large end would have been either 1.629 (5C) or 1.325"
Note that there was also a spindle which was MT-4 (13" small bore)

Jeff Beck at tools4cheap.com has just started to carry spindle
adapters from the 1.629 to MT3 or MT2.

Jim B.

--- In southbendlathe@..., "Richard" <rftuper48@...>
wrote:

Dose any one have the Dim's. for SB's #3MT special taper that you
could and would share?
I have a 11" SB with a #3MT taper head and would like to make a new
dead center for it.
The morse taper sleeve that came with the lathe has a 0.051 Per
Inch taper and that is the same for the standard #3MT.
The only difference that I can see is the large end of the sleeve
is 1.015" in diameter and the standard #3MT dead center that I have
is 0.948" in diameter.
Do I have the Dim's right or am I missing something here?

Richard T.
Northern New York USA

Jim B <btdtrf@...>

Doing some more searching on Steves site, I find that the last year
11" was mentioned 1941, and the bore was 7/8. So, more than likely
the spindle data on the later lathes will not work. Now the 7/8 bore
is very close to the 10K bore. Waht happens If you use a standard MT3
center. Usually these protude a bit to far out of the 9/10K

Jim B.

wrote:

Dose any one have the Dim's. for SB's #3MT special taper that you
could and would share?
I have a 11" SB with a #3MT taper head and would like to make a
new
dead center for it.
The morse taper sleeve that came with the lathe has a 0.051 Per
Inch taper and that is the same for the standard #3MT.
The only difference that I can see is the large end of the sleeve
is 1.015" in diameter and the standard #3MT dead center that I have
is 0.948" in diameter.
Do I have the Dim's right or am I missing something here?

Richard T.
Northern New York USA

Richard

Jim;
When I use the standard MT3 center it goes in to far to be of any use.
I was thinking that if I make one with the large end 1.015 to 1.020" it may be what I am looking for.
Richard T.
Northern New York USA